Dana 60's: Currie vs Dana Spicer vs Dynatrac vs Fusion

Qwest4air

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stretched JK
Interesting, what do you think the difference between your original gearbox and the diesel gear box is?
Sponsored

Knight Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR diesel
Interesting, what do you think the difference between your original gearbox and the diesel gear box is?
You can clearly see the difference in the photo below. It's where the box is tapped. I think tapping before the gears gives the greatest pressure. It's a noticeable difference.

IMG_7613.jpeg

Reactions: J0E

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Knight offroad

I also have fusion axles on my 392, I have the 60s front and rear. They are definitely beef and you’re definitely need to grind down the knuckle stops to get the appropriate amount of steering. I am thinking you could probably get a 9 inch rim to match the steering gearbox throw, but I’m not sure if I would run into Clarence issues with my 40s in the front bumper.

I have the same issue when making sharp turns and the traction control lights goes off. I have tried to play with tire size on the tazer but made little difference. I don’t think it’s a sensor reading issue because everything is fine driving straight highway speeds slight turns etc. it’s only a sharp turn that it activates. I think it might be an Acreman angle issue when you’re turning the distance the rear doesn’t match proportionally to the front, but I’m not sure and have no way to prove that.
Find a solution please PM me.

I also had the same issues with the hydro assist. I did a PSC ram on a tapped factory steering gearbox and factory electric pump. The only real issue I have is it’s a little slow in parking spots, I was thinking about going down one size and ram diameter to see if that helped pick up some of the steering speed back but wasn’t sure how much impact that would have on the assist.

as far as the tie rod hitting the ram I actually moved my axle sidebracket up just a little bit to allow some additional clearance, based on your picture you posted yours seems a little higher than mine anyway.

i’m not sure who it was that mentioned curry in this thread earlier, but I don’t think they belong in the same category as fusion, or Dyna track. They are definitely more of a discount axle Which is crazy to say because they’re very expensive. I had several issues with my curry axles and despite being local to the manufacturing they gave me quite the run around trying to get some issues resolved.
They couldn’t tell me how much fluid to put in the axle, they said drive it around until it quit spewing out of the vent tube. I had an ARB leak, which could happen to any manufacture. But the main differential carrier bearings had the chrome hard coating completely delaminate off of both bearing races. I had a bent axle shaft on a semi float Dana 60 axle and they wanted me to remove the entire axle assembly from my jeep and bring it to them in order for them to replace the axle instead of me just bringing them the axle as I stated I live local, and taking care of it. I was about one month away from my warranty expiring and their comment was well you’re almost out of warranty, like that makes any difference. After going back to the shop that I purchased them from and making a big stink I finally got one of their team members to drive down the axle shaft, not the entire axle, and they replaced it.
Ive put nearly 1400 horsepower through my Currie 70’s on my JK on 42’s with tons of 4wd launches, etc and no problem other than blowing up 2x ARB lockers ( switched to e locker and problems went away ). Just really surprised to hear what you said as they’ve always been so helpful towards me. My 392 will likely get their axles once the 448 goes in. I do think they’re a bit more expensive than a 60/80 combo from Fusion, but I’m also going with Alcon brakes and a 70 up front.

That said I’ve heard nothing but good things about Fusion and the 80 looks super ridiculous.

Last edited:

Knight Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR diesel
Ive put nearly 1400 horsepower through my Currie 70’s on my JK on 42’s with tons of 4wd launches, etc and no problem other than blowing up 2x ARB lockers ( switched to e locker and problems went away ). Just really surprised to hear what you said as they’ve always been so helpful towards me. My 392 will likely get their axles once the 448 goes in. I do think they’re a bit more expensive than a 60/80 combo from Fusion, but I’m also going with Alcon brakes and a 70 up front.

That said I’ve heard nothing but good things about Fusion and the 80 looks super ridiculous.
Funny I just switched to ARBs because I blew up the Eaton E-lockers. And I'm just running an ecodiesel on 40s.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny I just switched to ARBs because I blew up the Eaton E-lockers. And I'm just running an ecodiesel on 40s.
Lol, go figure. I swear man no matter what you run you're gonna blow up something. But in our case, the ARBs couldn't hold the power (from best we could tell -- hard to prove that of course). Wonder if the Eaton may go for a different reason.

For what it's worth, other than randomly leaking air lines from time to time (pretty rare), I really loved the ARBs -- so quick to engage/disengage. The line issues seemed overblown to me.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Lol, go figure. I swear man no matter what you run you're gonna blow up something. But in our case, the ARBs couldn't hold the power (from best we could tell -- hard to prove that of course). Wonder if the Eaton may go for a different reason.

For what it's worth, other than randomly leaking air lines from time to time (pretty rare), I really loved the ARBs -- so quick to engage/disengage. The line issues seemed overblown to me.
Yeah it’s definitely not a power issue. ARBs handle 1000+ hp without issue.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it’s definitely not a power issue. ARBs handle 1000+ hp without issue.
No clue then, unfortunately. This was over 5 years ago, we've had the Eaton since.

Knight Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR diesel

You can see in the photo below that one of the teeth of the locker gears gave out. I started getting popping from the front end every time I engaged the lockers. And I consider myself a gentle crawler. I try to be easy on the throttle and just crawl everything if I can. It's a shame because I really liked how quickly the E-lockers engaged and disengaged with no drama or compressor noise. Five of my local buddies who also run E-lockers had the exact same problem as me (at the same time) and have or are in the process of switching them out for ARBs. One guy has a brand new build on 42s and front locker went on the first wheeling trip. My locker went in under 7 months with 4900 miles on it. Just a theory, but COVID supply issues might have forced some short cuts. Who knows? But I have been told by an axle manufacturer that there are many Eaton failures piling up right.

I haven't had a chance to use the ARBs yet. Just got the front replaced last weekend. Went to pull the rear this weekend and discovered a lot more drama that I wasn't expecting so it will be a little while before I'm back up and running.

IMG_8168.jpeg

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can see in the photo below that one of the teeth of the locker gears gave out. I started getting popping from the front end every time I engaged the lockers. And I consider myself a gentle crawler. I try to be easy on the throttle and just crawl everything if I can. It's a shame because I really liked how quickly the E-lockers engaged and disengaged with no drama or compressor noise. Five of my local buddies who also run E-lockers had the exact same problem as me (at the same time) and have or are in the process of switching them out for ARBs. One guy has a brand new build on 42s and front locker went on the first wheeling trip. My locker went in under 7 months with 4900 miles on it. Just a theory, but COVID supply issues might have forced some short cuts. Who knows? But I have been told by an axle manufacturer that there are many Eaton failures piling up right.

I haven't had a chance to use the ARBs yet. Just got the front replaced last weekend. Went to pull the rear this weekend and discovered a lot more drama that I wasn't expecting so it will be a little while before I'm back up and running.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana 60's: Currie vs Dana Spicer vs Dynatrac vs Fusion IMG_8168
Damn, that's a bummer and very concerning. I've also seen quality generally speaking go down across the board on nearly every purchase I've made since the pandemic started. But it seems like more of a systemic issue if they're piling up.

Knight Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR diesel
Damn, that's a bummer and very concerning. I've also seen quality generally speaking go down across the board on nearly every purchase I've made since the pandemic started. But it seems like more of a systemic issue if they're piling up.
I didn't want to say anything in my last email until I talked to Fusion but just got off the phone with Dan. I had a 40 spline Dana 60 on the rear and when I pulled it this weekend it had spit a shim into the gears and made a mess of everything. One of the bearings came right off in my hand. It had 100 thou play in it. Fusion told me that the Eaton Dana 60 40 spline lockers were spinning bearings and breaking off a shim behind them. I don't know how that happens. Of course preload and backlash go to zero after that happens. For that reason they stopped offering 40 spline options in Dana 60 after I ordered mine. Dan said they've only seen one ARB do that. Good thing I caught it when I did (backlash was around 95 thou) and glad I'm switching to ARB. If you have an Eaton that is older than 18 months or so you should be good. I've heard good things about the older Eatons. Also, Fusion is taking care of this so while it's a big headache and inconvenient, I'm happy with the customer service.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't want to say anything in my last email until I talked to Fusion but just got off the phone with Dan. I had a 40 spline Dana 60 on the rear and when I pulled it this weekend it had spit a shim into the gears and made a mess of everything. One of the bearings came right off in my hand. It had 100 thou play in it. Fusion told me that the Eaton Dana 60 40 spline lockers were spinning bearings and breaking off a shim behind them. I don't know how that happens. Of course preload and backlash go to zero after that happens. For that reason they stopped offering 40 spline options in Dana 60 after I ordered mine. Dan said they've only seen one ARB do that. Good thing I caught it when I did (backlash was around 95 thou) and glad I'm switching to ARB. If you have an Eaton that is older than 18 months or so you should be good. I've heard good things about the older Eatons. Also, Fusion is taking care of this so while it's a big headache and inconvenient, I'm happy with the customer service.
Frustrating, but at least you know what you're going to get is going to be more reliable. Like I said, I loved my ARB until the Jeep started eating them like candy (rear axle). I truly don't know what caused it, but we speculated it had to do with hard roll out launches. We're not very friendly on it, so it's fine -- I expect to have to rebuild things here/there. My Eaton is from 2018. It's been alive for 5 years in it without an issue, and that's also surprising to me.

Qwest4air

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stretched JK
You can clearly see the difference in the photo below. It's where the box is tapped. I think tapping before the gears gives the greatest pressure. It's a noticeable difference.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana 60's: Currie vs Dana Spicer vs Dynatrac vs Fusion IMG_8168
I see the difference and advantage of the hydraulic assisting portion, I’m just curious how this comes into play for the traction control light going off on sharp turns?
Are you running a factory pump or are you running the PSC pump?

how is the steering speed in a quick steer scenario like if you were fishtailing left or right on a dirt road or trying to quickly whip in and out of a parking lot?

i’m running the factory pump and it’s fine unless you’re trying to do something quickly left to right, and I was considering going down one size on the ram to help speed that up.

Knight Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR diesel
I see the difference and advantage of the hydraulic assisting portion, I’m just curious how this comes into play for the traction control light going off on sharp turns?
Are you running a factory pump or are you running the PSC pump?

how is the steering speed in a quick steer scenario like if you were fishtailing left or right on a dirt road or trying to quickly whip in and out of a parking lot?

i’m running the factory pump and it’s fine unless you’re trying to do something quickly left to right, and I was considering going down one size on the ram to help speed that up.
I really couldn't tell you why the traction control light quit coming on after switching to the PSC box. I wish I knew. There is still some steering lag if you yank it back and forth as hard as you can but it's much better than the Redreck Ram was. I hardly notice it now in any scenario whereas before it was a constant pain. I have the factory pump but I am also running the Apex Steering booster kit which does help. Yes, going down to a 1.5" ram will speed up your steering at the sacrifice of turning power so you have to decide what's best for you. I considered that as well before switching to the PSC steering box.
Sponsored