Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
AND, removing the auxiliary battery might affect your dealer's willingness to do warranty work.

These days all dealers are looking for any excuse to turn away warranty work. I wouldn't grant them their wish.
Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
ok gotta ask.

why did jeep make this engine with two batteries when every other car with ESS has one?

is there not some major drawback to converting it back to one battery?
Because there’s an engineer out there that thought “well, that single battery ESS system works pretty good, so lets fix it until it’s broke”

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at 35k on the original aux battery. But, I hate the ESS, so I hit the little "turn off ESS" button everytime I start the vehicle. Maybe this is why I'm still on the original battery?
I'm kinda thinking the same thing. The wife's '20 is pushing 46k miles now, been running more than a year bypassing the motorcycle battery and still on the original main battery.

OP
OP
rjpjeep

rjpjeep

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
I replaced both OE batteries with two of the same size but from an aftermarket brand.

This was eighteen months ago: haven’t had any more issues. The ESS, the steering wheel and seat heaters, everything works like it should, even in subfreezing temps.

Some of the “remedies” out there are unnecessary.
That's what I just did.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rjpjeep

rjpjeep

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
I'm at 35k on the original aux battery. But, I hate the ESS, so I hit the little "turn off ESS" button everytime I start the vehicle. Maybe this is why I'm still on the original battery?
I do the same thing. It's really a hit and miss thing. But when that little bugger goes bad it causes all kinds of drama lol.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
ok gotta ask.

why did jeep make this engine with two batteries when every other car with ESS has one?

is there not some major drawback to converting it back to one battery?
Apparently the company that is now known as Stellantis had this two battery design before the JL.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/stop-start-unavailable.84040/post-2226052

That said, a two battery ESS system in a Wrangler--done well--like with two identical batteries which periodically reverse roles as main and ESS battery, just for starters (no pun to engine cranking intended,) makes sense in such a potentially aftermarket electrical appliance heavy vehicle as the JL, where the cranking battery can be preserved while, say, a light bar runs at a stop light off of an ESS battery.

Of course better ESS systems eat away at what Stellantis can charge dealers and still meet profit margin objectives. And these bigger systems do rob MPGs in a small amount: the very thing they were put there for to improve.

But the current system leaves much to be desired. For me (infrequent driver lately) to get ESS to engage I normally have to trickle charge my vehicle while its parked. On top of its design bad design, batteries today are just so lacking in quality, and such a parallel design as this one, between the dissimilar size batteries, increases the chances that the small battery will cannibalize that larger one.

OP
OP
rjpjeep

rjpjeep

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
Here is the thing with that. If i did that will it void the remaining warranty? I want to go to the Genesis dual setup.
Found out from MOPAR that if I go to the Genesis set up it WILL void my warranty.

ripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The wife's JLU with the 2 0 is have SS issues. In 2.5 years it's been to service 3 times for SS problems. First trip to garage they said auxiliary battery needed charged. Second trip they said auxiliary battery is bad and they replaced under warranty. Last trip last week they said main battery needed charged and they charged it. I asked what's going on with the charging system and no one can explain. They said if it comes back with SS issues they will escalate the issue (to STAR?). I would just eliminate like mentioned above if I was sure there wasn't an issue with the charging system. I've had my JTR and never had an issue with the SS system, so it can work like it's supposed to even though I never use it.

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
Found out from MOPAR that if I go to the Genesis set up it WILL void my warranty.
Just want to get clarification on this. What warranty would be voided? I have to assume they are talking about warranty on parts that are being replaced, which is like saying the warranty on your shocks is void if you do a lift kit with new shocks.

To be clear, the dealer won't void your entire vehicle warranty just for installing a dual battery kit. In 10 years of making our kits, we have not had a single report from a customer about any hassle with getting legit warranty work done just because our kit was installed.

Here's a clip from our 'Top 9 Questions' video about this topic -

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I bet thats why.

OP
OP
rjpjeep

rjpjeep

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
Well, just got the AUX S/S message again! Ugh! New batteries......

BIGW0RM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Raptor // 22 M3 Comp X // 20 RRS
You should get a Range Rover then. 2 batteries and it's about $1K to change the ESS one. For them, it just throws a warning but it'll drive like there is no battery in it then.
When we got our 2020 RRS a few years ago, I pulled some wire in the back area out that permanently disabled ASS. Best thing I ever did! The SC V8 with ASS was very clunky!

bansheewail

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
Is this (aux battery) a warranty item under 36k miles?

BTW I permanently disabled the Auto Start Stop BS with one of those modules called AutoStop Eliminator within the first week that I bought the Jeep.

OP
OP
rjpjeep

rjpjeep

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
Batteries are only a year per my dealer. I am ordering a Genesis dual gen 3 setup. Guess I might as well install my lift, tires, rims, etc now as well lol...
Sponsored