First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Take it out and leave it out! Otherwise plan on doing that a lot with your Jeep. Great pics. I have to do that when weather warms....already have it disconnected and fuse pulled for start stop.

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
ok gotta ask.

why did jeep make this engine with two batteries when every other car with ESS has one?

is there not some major drawback to converting it back to one battery?

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
@rjpjeep i've seen some people yank the fender and liner together and some just pull the liner, did you have to replace any of the plastic rivets or clips to the fender just pulling the liner out ?

Last edited:

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I just pulled the fuse, pulled the negative cable, and left the battery there. Not worth the hassle of using the system or pulling the battery out, IMHO.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
ok gotta ask.

why did jeep make this engine with two batteries when every other car with ESS has one?

is there not some major drawback to converting it back to one battery?
You should get a Range Rover then. 2 batteries and it's about $1K to change the ESS one. For them, it just throws a warning but it'll drive like there is no battery in it then.

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
You should get a Range Rover then. 2 batteries and it's about $1K to change the ESS one. For them, it just throws a warning but it'll drive like there is no battery in it then.
that sounds fun!! hell

two batteries just seems dumb and creating a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

however

What I do know is chrysler is cheap, and they didn't add a second battery for fun or because they like to spend more money.

So I'm going to throw out there that the engineers over there thought it important to have despite the increased production cost and maybe I shouldn't cut it out or bypass it.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
that sounds fun!! hell

two batteries just seems dumb and creating a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

however

What I do know is chrysler is cheap, and they didn't add a second battery for fun or because they like to spend more money.

So I'm going to throw out there that the engineers over there thought it important to have despite the increased production cost and maybe I shouldn't cut it out or bypass it.
Just a hunch, but most people accessorize their Jeep with lights, winches, etc and the thinking might have been an aux battery will get you started if you drain the main battery.
I have mine disabled with the tazer, it's been 3 years and no problems yet.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
that sounds fun!! hell

however

Best part is that when you see a lowered Range Rover, it's most likely the airbags are gone and it's only a mere $10K to fix.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rjpjeep

rjpjeep

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
Take it out and leave it out! Otherwise plan on doing that a lot with your Jeep. Great pics. I have to do that when weather warms....already have it disconnected and fuse pulled for start stop.
Here is the thing with that. If i did that will it void the remaining warranty? I want to go to the Genesis dual setup.

OP
OP
rjpjeep

rjpjeep

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
@rjpjeep i've seen some people yank the fender and liner together and some just pull the liner, did you have to replace any of the plastic rivets or clips to the fender just pulling the liner out ?
I replaced two. They are cheap and available at any parts store.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Here is the thing with that. If i did that will it void the remaining warranty? I want to go to the Genesis dual setup.
Possible.,.I replaced the aux battery under warranty...within 6 months it was going bad....I am no longer under warranty so am operating without.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced both OE batteries with two of the same size but from an aftermarket brand.

This was eighteen months ago: haven’t had any more issues. The ESS, the steering wheel and seat heaters, everything works like it should, even in subfreezing temps.

Some of the “remedies” out there are unnecessary.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I replaced both OE batteries with two of the same size but from an aftermarket brand.

This was eighteen months ago: haven’t had any more issues. The ESS, the steering wheel and seat heaters, everything works like it should, even in subfreezing temps.

Some of the “remedies” out there are unnecessary.
This.

Something is wrong with the OEM batteries. Aftermarket ones perform a lot better. And I am sure the ESS system will work as designed with better quality batteries for at least 3 years.

Now if you dont care for ESS or want to use the aux battery as an emergency startup battery, the best thing is to unplug the negative post of the aux and remove fuse 42. You can plug it back in and it all goes back to stock too.

ESS does introduce extra stress to certain components specially the battery. Because of the constant cranks. The alternator will also work a bit harder because it will be constantly charging either battery. But at the end of the day, a quality battery should be able to handle this load. So using ESS might or might not negatively affect battery and/or alternator reliability.
Sponsored