Sponsored

Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep?

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Actually having it in 4 Lo reduces the forces going into the park pawl in this situation. When power is going in the normal direction that originates in the engine the low range in the transfer case multiplies the torque by the low range ratio as it goes to the axles and tires. When power is going in the opposite direction, so starting in the tires and through the transfer case the low range ratio does the opposite and reduces the torque seen by the park pawl.

In regards to having the vehicle in 4wd with the front tires cranked all the way, just keep in mind that since they are locked up the vehicle will just slide straight back. Yes, the fact the front tires are locked up makes it a little more of a pain but not sure having them straight or turned all the way would make that much difference. Now if you were in 2wd and the fronts tires can rotate it would cause the front end of the vehicle to swing over and possibly not be able to get it out of the spot without hitting the vehicle next to it.
Makes sense.. so ideally, I should park 2mm away from the Mercedes in the lot and turn my wheels into it🤣
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

4Lo, wheels locked to one direction. bolt hood lock, THE CLUB steering wheel lock, and a dead switch for the starter coil

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Still getting my head wrapped around theft by Towing. I’ve head off people stealing enclosed and open trailers but hooking up a vehicle and towing it?

Sponsored

JeeperKeeper

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy’s Unlimited
We travel a lot and often park in hotel and motel lots. Is there anything that you do to make ulyour jeep harder to tow away?

I park between two vehicles, nose in first. Turn the wheels to full lock one direction, put the transfer case in 4low. This makes it very difficult to get it out of the parking spot and difficult to tow. Not saying these obstacles can’t be worked around, just saying it make the process way more difficult.

What strategies do you use to make your Jeep harder to be stolen?
9mm ? 😳

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Pull up on emergency brake real hard, lock cable in place with pair of vise grips down at the wheel. That should do the trick, since no one will be crawling around under the jeep at night.

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT
Stay at decent hotels that valet your Jeep and have their own lot.
That's what I do. Cheapest insurance there is, especially when I pulled in to Albuquerque at night on a cross-country trip and within 90 seconds of stepping out of my hotel was solicited, pan-handled and came upon a literal pile of human excrement with an abandoned shoe stuck in it. Albuquerque is a s**thole. Was never happier to have paid a valet fee in my life.

variableknife

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Sport S
We travel a lot and often park in hotel and motel lots. Is there anything that you do to make ulyour jeep harder to tow away?

I park between two vehicles, nose in first. Turn the wheels to full lock one direction, put the transfer case in 4low. This makes it very difficult to get it out of the parking spot and difficult to tow. Not saying these obstacles can’t be worked around, just saying it make the process way more difficult.

1. A Glock
2. A 160 pound dog.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I never worried about it one bit, and then our Jeep was stolen in September... Insurance pay out was good, so we went from our 2019 with 65k miles on it to a brand new 2022 XR for about $5k total. Add another $3500 replacing winch, shocks, springs, skids, etc and I'm not too upset where we ended up. Thieves still piss me off, but aside from the tires(running stock 35" ko2s for now) I went with better components this go round anyway. Haven't pushed the new rig as hard as we did the last one, but it's been fantastic so far and I'm a big fan of the off road +. I didn't expect much from reading on here, but especially in 4HI hauling ass in the desert it is awesome. Holds higher rpms which makes all the difference in throttle response when pitching it around the corners or blasting through deep sand.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
Still getting my head wrapped around theft by Towing. I’ve head off people stealing enclosed and open trailers but hooking up a vehicle and towing it?
The more "professional" rings often use semi trailers with electronic shielding so tracking the vehicle is no-joy until it pops up again on the grid after it's over the border. A towed vehicle may not get that much attention and then it gets stuffed into a trailer with other prizes and quickly vanishes from the vicinity. Harder to pull off with all the video surveillance now but still happens.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I would think all your above thoughts and the Tazer Pin code would make it very hard to get away with Jeep.

Jhint77

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon Sting Gray
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
Who remembers "The Club"? With the front wheels turned and no steering wheel lock its easy to turn them back to center, unless you have "The Club". LOL
Sponsored