Sponsored

Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
We travel a lot and often park in hotel and motel lots. Is there anything that you do to make ulyour jeep harder to tow away?

I park between two vehicles, nose in first. Turn the wheels to full lock one direction, put the transfer case in 4low. This makes it very difficult to get it out of the parking spot and difficult to tow. Not saying these obstacles can’t be worked around, just saying it make the process way more difficult.

What strategies do you use to make your Jeep harder to be stolen?
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I know it's not always an option, but I try to book hotels in more populated areas, higher quality locations, etc.

I try to also always park as close to the front door as possible, or under a street light, well-lit areas, etc. Make'em do it in the daylight if I can, so to speak.

Also try to park in a place that would be hard to get a tow truck into - curves, turns, etc.

At the end of the day, if they want to steal it, they're going to.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
You have most of the parking bases covered. I would also add a tracking device hidden in the Jeep. Apple Air Tag? No experience with them but I hear they work good.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just to throw some stuff out there.

Would 4LO increase the tire leverage on the transmission parking pawl, making it more likely to damage the internals than 4 hi without significant increase in difficulty?

From the 4WD/AWD tows I've seen (or 2wd backed in), they'll literally drag the truck out with the tires skidding. If it's in 2wd, they'll swap sides for the tow, in 4wd, they'll throw rollers under the other side.

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
1st floor room. Park in front of room. Not theft proof but better to see for police report description.

Beasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Accord, 22 Jeep 392
Is this really happening? I guess maybe if its a 392 but I don't see or hear often of Jeeps being stolen let alone towed by thieves. Just surprising to me.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just to throw some stuff out there.

Would 4LO increase the tire leverage on the transmission parking pawl, making it more likely to damage the internals than 4 hi without significant increase in difficulty?

From the 4WD/AWD tows I've seen (or 2wd backed in), they'll literally drag the truck out with the tires skidding. If it's in 2wd, they'll swap sides for the tow, in 4wd, they'll throw rollers under the other side.
To expand a little. Would it be better to go full lock in 2WD? That way they wouldn’t be able to just skid it out, they’d have to roll it into the neighboring car.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Is this really happening? I guess maybe if its a 392 but I don't see or hear often of Jeeps being stolen let alone towed by thieves. Just surprising to me.
OP is a big traveler for wheeling all over the country. I’d guess it’s less about it getting stolen and more about making sure they don’t get stranded in the middle of nowhere.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
OP is a big traveler for wheeling all over the country. I’d guess it’s less about it getting stolen and more about making sure they don’t get stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Same thought. For him, it could wreck a three month trip. For me, worst case is I ride bitch for a week...so it's not a huge thought for me.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
It is - and there are numerous instances in hotel parking lots. In this current time period the news tends not to report problems like these ;)

It's a mess out there. Along with the OPs comments, I try to find a very well lit area in a very good part of town. No hotels in seedy areas. I don't need my Jeep stolen and I don't need to be assaulted

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
When I picked up my Jeep from the dealer in November they helped me set up the Jeep app on my phone, but they also set up a program called Theft Patrol. Does anybody else have this? One of the features is that you can always see the location of your Jeep and you can set up a Geofence around it. Basically it's a prescribed perimeter and if the Jeep leaves that perimeter you get a message and you can call 911 and track where it goes. Obviously it won't stop somebody from stealing the Jeep but it might help recover it afterward.
Sponsored