Sponsored

Z Automotive Tazer Pin Lock Mode to Prevent Theft

Plumbean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon XR
I had been thinking about a getting Tazer Mini, and the rollout of this pin code feature helped push me into buying one. Unfortunately my experience has not been so good. I have two issues:

1. If you set a pin code, every time the ESS system engages it brake locks the vehicle. So I stop at a stop sign or a stop light, the engine turns off, and when I start to lift the pressure on the brakes, wham, it locks everything down and I need to enter the pin code to get moving again. I realize that a lot of folks hate the ESS system and use the Tazer to turn it off, and while I like that feature and use it, I prefer to switch back and forth between having ESS engaged or not. This seems like a major bug in the pin code setup -- I hope that they can fix it.

2. Every time I shut off the vehicle, the hazards start blinking like they are in a countdown. When I start the vehicle next, the brake lock is engaged already and I have to put in a pin code without any timer kicking in first. I haven't figured out why it is doing this.

I like some of the other capabilities that the Tazer gives you, so I don't plan on returning it, but this pin code feature needs some work.
Just an update on this with a shout out to the guy at Z Automotive for their quality customer service. I sent a note to Z Automotive letting them know about this, and they were very responsive -- even sending me a beta version of their new firmware to address the problem. They have now released that firmware and I just updated my Tazer -- pin code is now working and does not get triggered by the ESS system kicking in.
Sponsored

rdfact

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURXR, '01 WJ
I'm going to try the new firmware. I too encountered the Tazer locking the brakes after I enabled ESS. I normally have ESS disabled but turned it on one day when I was sitting in traffic. It also seemed to freak out, I couldn't just enter the PIN to get going again. I had to turn off the Jeep and back on, enter the PIN, then could drive.
Tazer JL firmware

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
I will be trying mine in about a week. The new Tazer Mini just arrived but I will not get it installed and working until Tues or Wed, next week. When I updated the firmware on the computer it stated that I had the newest firmware. I am not sure if this includes the "fix". We shall see.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Did I hear correctly in the video that the PIN feature is triggered when the door is opened or closed? What if I want to get in the vehicle to get something out? I don't want to have to enter the PIN for that.

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Someone should invent a physical device that you have to insert and turn rather than enter a PIN. 🤣

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Someone should invent a physical device that you have to insert and turn rather than enter a PIN. 🤣
Jeep needs to make them harder to steal. I hear thieves are successful with a laptop and a blank key. Should not be so hackable.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Did I hear correctly in the video that the PIN feature is triggered when the door is opened or closed?
No. PIN will need to be entered when the vehicle is started or after you exit the running vehicle with your key.

Setting your PIN:
After selecting “Set PIN?” from the menu, you will be prompted to enter a one to six button sequence that will allow the operator to drive the vehicle.

After turning the vehicle off, this PIN will now be required to drive the vehicle and “Set PIN?” will change to “Clear PIN.”

After turning the vehicle on:
1. a 20-second countdown will begin
2. the green parking light icon will blink
3. the dashboard turn indicators will blink and click

Enter your PIN and the countdown will stop. The dashboard screen will read “PIN Unlocked.”

Carjack Mode:
When the vehicle is running and you leave the vehicle with the key and close the door, the vehicle will continue to be fully operable for 20 seconds.

If the PIN is not entered within those 20 seconds:

If the vehicle is stopped, the brakes will lock. Attempting to shift into gear from this state will trigger a Light Show. If the vehicle is in motion, once it slows to 5MPH, the brakes will jam and a Light Show will begin. This will render the vehicle immobile until the PIN is entered.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
@Rhinebeck01 I know you talked to Zauto in the past at some point. Do you or anyone else know if there are any fix or special steps needed for the PIN lock in the manual transmission to prevent it from lock up immediately after starting.

PIN Set
1. Start Jeep with the clutch depressed
2. Tried neutral, reverse, first gear doesn't matter
2. brakes lock up instantly no countdown
3. Enter PIN to unlock

Last edited:

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Just heard back from Z automotive on the manual transmission. Here is their response.

"Hi,
currently this is an issue we are seeing with some manual transmissions. You don't get a count down and trips right away. I would temporary clear the pin, so it doesn't trip if you stall in traffic. Our engineer is working on this and should have this resolved in future firmware updates. I just don't have a timeline at this moment. When there are firmware updates added to the update page, it has descriptions of improvements and new features too. I also added this ticket to the issue page for engineering and so I may reach out when we have a fix if you want to try it. "

Sponsored

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
Something I've noticed recently with the PIN lock is if I stop, shut off the engine, lock the doors and leave the Jeep for 4-5 min. ( checking my P.O. box) and return, the PIN is not requested. So to me at that point, the anti car jack is not working. Didn't do this when I first enabled the PIN lock. Am I doing something wrong?

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something I've noticed recently with the PIN lock is if I stop, shut off the engine, lock the doors and leave the Jeep for 4-5 min. ( checking my P.O. box) and return, the PIN is not requested. So to me at that point, the anti car jack is not working. Didn't do this when I first enabled the PIN lock. Am I doing something wrong?
Good question. I will follow this as well. Here are the directions:
Jeep Wrangler JL Z Automotive Tazer Pin Lock Mode to Prevent Theft 1675880466414

The car jack mode is for when it is left running, and you leave w/ the key. Seems yours is slightly different issue.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rhinebeck01 I know you talked to Zauto in the past at some point. Do you or anyone else know if there are any fix or special steps needed for the PIN lock in the manual transmission to prevent it from lock up immediately after starting.

PIN Set
1. Start Jeep with the clutch depressed
2. Tried neutral, reverse, first gear doesn't matter
2. brakes lock up instantly no countdown
3. Enter PIN to unlock
@WilhelmSR

Just saw this post ... I see Joe or Ian got back to you.

To be honest with you.... I feel this PIN lock feature is still a work in progress so to speak and I have been telling other's that ask me about the feature...... -> that it is probably best to not use the feature until it is more stable... perfected or however you want to say.. UNLESS you are in essence, up for beta testing it. It is a very new feature that can bit you so to speak..

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
Good question. I will follow this as well. Here are the directions:
Jeep Wrangler JL Z Automotive Tazer Pin Lock Mode to Prevent Theft 1675880466414

The car jack mode is for when it is left running, and you leave w/ the key. Seems yours is slightly different issue.
Yes, but if someone wants to jack my Jeep in that situation, no pin needed to drive off. That is my concern.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, but if someone wants to jack my Jeep in that situation, no pin needed to drive off. That is my concern.
I understand & that is why i am following this line. I suspect that if this is an issue, the folks at @ZAutomotive will work to fix it.
Sponsored