Sponsored

Is it worth carrying a chain now that synthetic straps and shackles rule?

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
I've always had a chain in my 4x4 since I got my first Warn recovery kit that included a chain with hooks. But now that I'm phasing out the steel winch line and shackles, I'm wondering what function the chain serves. I also use recovery and tree saver straps, plus carry a Hi-Lift.
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
The chain in the kit is for hooking onto the frame when you don't have any other recovery points. If you have recovery points you don't really need the chain. Pretty much all Wranglers have recovery points.

OP
OP
21JLURDG

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The chain in the kit is for hooking onto the frame when you don't have any other recovery points.
Interesting. I never thought of using it that way. I guess it could serve that purpose if I wanted the ability help a stuck "car" on the drive home? Although I think most cars have that recovery eye bolt thingy to screw through the bumper.

Is there a way to use the Hi-Lift as a winch without requiring a chain?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I’ve always used a chain about 6’ long to hook to the frame on vehicles with no tow hooks. I run the loop of the strap or rope though it. Recently I bought a couple of soft shackles, haven't had a chance to use them yet. Yanking with a chain is dangerous. Plus 20-30’ of chain is heavy and bulky.

Chains are also good for wrapping around the trunks of small bushes and tree that you want to yank out.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Interesting. I never thought of using it that way. I guess it could serve that purpose if I wanted the ability help a stuck "car" on the drive home? Although I think most cars have that recovery eye bolt thingy to screw through the bumper.

You need 2 chains/tow straps to use a hi lift as a winch. In saying that, if using a HiLift as a winch, chains are the way to go. There is a lot of stretch in tow straps so it would be a massive pain in the ass. Even just using the hi lift as a winch is a pain in the ass in general.

Another thing to think about is culpability. Here in Canada, if I damage a vehicle recovering it on the side of the road, I'm responsible and if the owner wanted to go after me, it would be their prerogative. I had a buddy who pulled someone out of the ditch and cause a bit of damage. The owner went after their insurance. It's a complete dick move, and rarely happens but it can happen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
21JLURDG

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I carry a 10' chain to skid trees off the trail and keep my synthetic winch line out of the dirt and gravel.
I find plenty of fallen trees on the local trails, but using a chain to preserve the strap is a great idea.

You need 2 chains/tow straps to use a hi lift as a winch. In saying that, if using a HiLift as a winch, chains are the way to go. There is a lot of stretch in tow straps so it would be a massive pain in the ass.
Another thing to think about is culpability.
Carrying a chain is already inconvenient but two is too much. Using a Hi-Lift as a winch will be an emergency recovery where my electric winch will not work, such as rear pull out of a ditch. In the unlikely event that I need it, I'll use my strap instead of a 2nd chain. As culpability goes, it's always a risk. I try to mitigate it by having witnesses when I explain the dangers and have the owner make the hook up to their car.

I’ve always used a chain about 6’ long to hook to the frame on vehicles with no tow hooks. I run the loop of the strap or rope though it.
I can see this being helpful. Occasionally find a stuck Grand Cherokee or Crosstrek on the trail.

S#!t. You all have convinced me to keep carrying at least one chain. Jeep keeps gaining weight, and it doesn't even have age as an excuse. Many thanks...I guess.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Yeah, a 5-6" piece is all you need, with a hook on each end. Just take it when you go somewhere where you'll use 4x4. !0' where big trees are, they're all small around here.

I could have used that short piece of chain on the beach a few months ago. I was in my pickup and a minivan was stuck in soft sand. It had zero places to connect too. If I had my 6' chain with a hook on each end, I would have been able to connect to various holes on the unibody. I would up having the owner dig out one of the rear tires until I could get a tree strap around the rear suspension, then pushed it up the the control arm mounting points. I looped a 30' strap through the tree strap, then did and easy yank, to pop it out of the ruts with an easy pull from there. If used my kinetic rope, I would have pulled the suspension off the chassis. And I would have gotten it all full of sand, which I didn't want to do if I didn't have to.

The chain would have made it so much easier. Where was it? On a shelf in my garage. But, I didn't know I would be going to the beach that day. A soft shackle could have been helpful, but I would have had to connect to the rear suspension cross member. It would have been a pain to get it off afterward.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I keep two recovery bags. Bag #1 is smaller, more convenient, and just has a 30' strap, snatch ring, a few synth shackles, a steel shackle, and tree saver, plus a receiver mount. Weighs about 14 lbs.

My second bag is the "OhMyGawwd" bag, weighs about 30lbs, and it has a warn recovery chain in it.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Yes, Freedom Recovery Gear out of Canada offers a speedy-sling just for that.
https://www.freedomrecoverygear.com/FASS-Sling-Freedom-Adjustable-Speed-Sling-_p_45.html

It replaces the chain with their FASS rope, which are made out of the same rope as their winch ropes. They have a sliding sleeve that allows you to shorten or lengthen the rope according to how much is needed.

I have a red one, a green one and an orange one. The orange sling goes out the vehicle, the red and green slings replace the chain and are my "STOP" and "GO" lines.

FRG also makes the most kick-ass gear bags. I've got all my gear in different bags, marked according to what is in them:
https://www.freedomrecoverygear.com/Gear-Bags_c_30.html

I'm trying to get Northridge4x4 to pick up the brand, it's really good stuff.

Sponsored

OP
OP
21JLURDG

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just take it when you go somewhere where you'll use 4x4. !0' where big trees are, they're all small around here.
If used my kinetic rope, I would have pulled the suspension off the chassis.
San Antonio...yup, I remember the small trees. The attached photo is nearby, but edited for self-preservation. ;)

One reason I'm not a fan of kinetic ropes is the sudden pull. I realize it's better for sand and mud, but I always worry about breaking something that is too stuck. I prefer the slow steady pull of a strap. Otherwise, it's winch time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is it worth carrying a chain now that synthetic straps and shackles rule? SATe2

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Yep, the vasy majority of the trees down here are all crooked and most stand no more than 30' tall. The farther west you go, the smaller they get until they all disappear about 175-200 miles west.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I carry a 10’ length of grade 80 chain. I used it last trip out to extract a full size van that slid off the road. It had no tow points so a quick chain wrap around the engine crossmember provided an attachment point for the tow strap.
I’ve hauled that chain around for almost 20 years and it came in handy BOTH times I used it🤪

OP
OP
21JLURDG

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I carry a 10’ length of grade 80 chain. I used it last trip out to extract a full size van that slid off the road. It had no tow points so a quick chain wrap around the engine crossmember provided an attachment point for the tow strap.
Could you have used a tow strap wrapped around the crossmember and attached a snatch strap to that?
Sponsored