Sponsored

Anyone own the Lange Hoist a Top for JL Wrangler?

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Anyone have the Lange hoist a top for JL yet? Thinking of buying on and wanted to check and see if anyone had one yet...
Sponsored

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I was looking at the Lange and came across this on another wrangler forum:

https://www.topliftpros.com/

Seems a bit pricey, but removes the top in a few seconds. Just wanted to share...

OP
OP
bodam

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I've seen that, but damn, $1,000?!?

That's why I'm thinking of the hoist

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Iā€™ve got their powered hoist-a-top

OP
OP
bodam

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
And? Good? Bad? Stable? Any feedback?

Sponsored

Tgpj83

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Does anyone know if we get a forum discount directly from Lange?

I previously ordered it from Extreme Terrain. They screwed up and sent me the JK kit. I called and they proceeded to tell me they stopped carrying the JL kit.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Lange "HOIST-A-TOP POWER JL 2018" installed, and it's very good and very stable. Their new bracket in the rear windshield area is much safer than prior models. That new bracket distributes the lifting pressure across a much wider area, reducing the chances of shattering the window.

I'm not aware that Lange Originals offers a forum discount, though I believe you can get a discount if you order through one of the bigger parts sales/distribution outfits. I did exactly that, but ran into an issue with responsiveness on a backordered item. When I went directly to Lange, I received the hoist in a few days. For me, it was worth the extra 5% to get the part and use the lift.

There's a weird issue with the "doughnut" that is designed as a bump stop to turn the motor off if the assembly gets too close to the motor. Their manufacturer crimped it in at the wrong point on the wire. It's a simple fix, and will likely be fixed on the next batch.

OP
OP
bodam

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Is the window supposed to be open or closed when you use it? I'm so worried about breaking that back window...

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Is the window supposed to be open or closed when you use it? I'm so worried about breaking that back window...
With the Lange, either way is fine. The only thing you'd have to do is adjust the clip on the main bar for balance. I store mine closed.

Here's a picture...

IMAG0021.jpg

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Does anyone know if we get a forum discount directly from Lange?

I previously ordered it from Extreme Terrain. They screwed up and sent me the JK kit. I called and they proceeded to tell me they stopped carrying the JL kit.
JLForum should give a 5% discount. Got it when ordering the mirrors.

Sponsored

punyandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
With the Lange, either way is fine. The only thing you'd have to do is adjust the clip on the main bar for balance. I store mine closed.

Here's a picture...

IMAG0021.jpg
I have the Lange Hoist a Top Simple, and the new JL hook is really confusing me.

First of all, it's metal and not rubberized like the hooks provided for the JKs and YJs. I have the painted hard top, so am concerned about scratching the paint. Looks like STING has a painted top as well, so interested in how it works.

Second, where exactly does this hook go? The BW pictures in the addendum are confusing. Is it going between the upper edge of the rear glass and the top? As in, hook it on with the rear window up, then close it on the hook? Which might have issues with the seal if hoisted for a few months at a time. Again, seemingly clueless here.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
And? Good? Bad? Stable? Any feedback?
I have the hoist-a-top, intact I have two. I have one at home and one at the vacation home. I also have a Lange electric hoist-a-top. Havenā€™t needed to use it yet except for soft top storage and only bought it because the other side of my garage didnā€™t have a clear path for cables to the winch. My wife and I both have JLU Saharas. No issues and not difficult to installā€”1 hour. I never close the rear window on mine once lifted.

punyandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
am1978 - mind sharing a good photo of the JLU hoisted, with a good perspective on the rear hook? i am confused/concerned about how the painted (not padded) rear hook attaches without scratching the painted hard top.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
D11A6182-7B0D-4A5E-927A-969E94356B87.jpeg
8D118CEA-F87F-456B-ABDB-69F87DD23350.jpeg
67E5AE37-11D7-44F5-A309-38382E3CC689.jpeg
6E66F397-45B9-4A76-9731-0DB66C2B0887.jpeg
am1978 - mind sharing a good photo of the JLU hoisted, with a good perspective on the rear hook? i am confused/concerned about how the painted (not padded) rear hook attaches without scratching the painted hard top.
The rear hook is coated in a thick high gloss (not rubberized) paint. The hook is wide enough to cup the hardtop edge with weatherstripping. The hook does touch, but I have no worries about it scratching paint with the coating the hook has. Itā€™s not like it moves on there so there really isnā€™t serious friction where the top rests in it.

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
D11A6182-7B0D-4A5E-927A-969E94356B87.jpeg
8D118CEA-F87F-456B-ABDB-69F87DD23350.jpeg
67E5AE37-11D7-44F5-A309-38382E3CC689.jpeg
6E66F397-45B9-4A76-9731-0DB66C2B0887.jpeg

The rear hook is coated in a thick high gloss (not rubberized) paint. The hook is wide enough to cup the hardtop edge with weatherstripping. The hook does touch, but I have no worries about it scratching paint with the coating the hook has. Itā€™s not like it moves on there so there really isnā€™t serious friction where the top rests in it.
Thanks for the detailed pics of the rear hook! I see that I will need to replace my existing rear hook to this new one for my JL. It's obvious that the JK standard hook will not work well.
Sponsored