Sponsored

To carry, or not to carry, that is the question (car theft & break-ins) [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Another year has passed with crime and general lawlessness on the rise nationally. My home state of Colorado interestingly has the dubious distinction of being the #1 car theft state in the country. The below image shows the very clear trend, it's the highest it's ever been in the era of Cars with built in anti-theft tech. Fully expecting the slope to increase again in 2022 and 23, although Jeep is not the most popular vehicle for theft and break-ins, it remains a desirable target.

That all said, I'd appreciate feedback from the group regarding these conflicting realities for Jeep owners. Always being prepared (and stocking your jeep with various supplies), vs. not leaving items of value. Very hard to be simultaneously prepared for every day challenges, unexpected emergencies, being able to help those in need on the roadside, and prepared as best you can for whatever may come - while also not having stuff worth stealing while you leave your Jeep in the parking lot.

I've seen media stories recommending people leave cars unlocked so that when thieves want to steal your stuff they don't also have to break your window to do so. That will NEVER be me, and I can't believe we live in a society where they constitutes advice.

Just curious others thoughts on this and how you are approaching in daily life.

Be safe out there! Happy Jeeping.

Jeep Wrangler JL To carry, or not to carry, that is the question (car theft & break-ins) [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 11.02.58 AM

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/191216/reported-motor-vehicle-theft-rate-in-the-us-since-1990/
Sponsored

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Well, car theft was a more significant problem 20 years or so by a lot, probably twice as bad so I think it is a matter of where you live and the crime rate. I won't park any of my vehicles if we go into DC, I'll take the metro. If I can't see my vehicle, it's probably not a place I'm going :) Obviously, there are exceptions but in my city, it's not an issue but driving into the big city...nope.

Now to leaving your vehicle unlocked, I'm with you. I did see a series on thefts in California where they drive up, punch the window and grab everything in 15 seconds. They punch out the rear window and fold down the seat to see what's in the trunk. It's crazy how organized and quick they are.

PS I conceal carry and have for as long as I can remember. Not so much for a car thief, they can have it, my insurance will cover it but if I feel like it's someone out of control or I'm in a restaurant or other place where an active shooter comes into play. If someone rolls up on you to steal your car and their intent was to shoot you, you probably can't react quickly enough. It's their intent from the beginning and they have the upper hand. For the most part, most carjackings do not end with a loss of life. I know that probably doesn't help. Everyone has to make their own decisions based on the circumstances.

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
We have a soft top JLU. We also have a hard top JT. This past year it has come to us making a command decision on which one to take based on safety of the area we are traveling. I have also thought about leaving the JLU unlocked but haven't yet.

I carry a "go bag", for lack of a better word. Everything I may need in an emergency is inside. It goes with me when I leave the Jeep out of sight. Again, I have to take a hard look at where I'm going and dress appropriately for the venue. Ie: if I'm going to a school or government building, I leave certain things at home. Not much of a choice.

KevinC

The Chubbernaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Substance Abuse Counselor
Clubs

For what it's worth, national crime rates have remained more or less stagnant since 2006, with a significant drop in 2021. UCR statistical information has not been released yet for 2022, but estimations project numbers more or less on par with 2021. That being said, some modes of criminality have shown some increase since 2020. For car theft, I lock my doors and I don't leave anything in clear sight. Modesto is pretty bad, but I also make frequent trips to San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland and Sacramento. I've never had any of my vehicles messed with. As an amusing side note, I had a 2003 Ford Focus that had electrical issues so the doors couldn't lock and the passenger window wouldn't roll up. I never had anything disappear from it, and I often wonder if people thought it was a bait car.

I would rather run the risk and keep my gear with me so that I have it if I need it. Worst case scenario it would need to be replaced if I am statistically unlucky, but I believe the odds are in my favor.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I too carry a "go bag" with tools, bottle jack, emergency supplies, etc. and with a soft top I assume somebody is going to break into it at some point. I don't leave money and I don't carry a gun. Everything can be replaced (frustrating though that will be)

As for locking the doors, I go back and forth. I generally keep mine locked mostly out of habit. For those who say leave it unlocked, do you do the same with your house?

On a separate but related note, my daughter's car was broken into on New Year' Eve (2012 Chevy Sonic). They scratched the hell out of the door trim trying to jimmy the door open, and they pulled the fuse box cover but luckily nothing was taken and there was no other damage.

Sponsored

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
I don't or at least try not to park my Jeep for extended periods in shady parts of town. Of course you are not safe anywhere. I caught someone on camera late at night in my driveway trying to open our car doors.
There is really anything you can do about it, and I am not about to leave my doors unlocked.

I conceal carry but I guess that is only going to help me if they try and steal my car with me being in it....

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
As for locking the doors, I go back and forth. I generally keep mine locked mostly out of habit. For those who say leave it unlocked, do you do the same with your house?
Yeah, my house is typically unlocked, and often my Jeep is unlocked with the key in it. It's not uncommon for me to forget where my keys are, and they are in the cup holder of the Jeep, car keys, house keys, key to the mailbox. My life is pretty worry-free.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Another year has passed with crime and general lawlessness on the rise nationally. My home state of Colorado interestingly has the dubious distinction of being the #1 car theft state in the country. The below image shows the very clear trend, it's the highest it's ever been in the era of Cars with built in anti-theft tech. Fully expecting the slope to increase again in 2022 and 23, although Jeep is not the most popular vehicle for theft and break-ins, it remains a desirable target.

That all said, I'd appreciate feedback from the group regarding these conflicting realities for Jeep owners. Always being prepared (and stocking your jeep with various supplies), vs. not leaving items of value. Very hard to be simultaneously prepared for every day challenges, unexpected emergencies, being able to help those in need on the roadside, and prepared as best you can for whatever may come - while also not having stuff worth stealing while you leave your Jeep in the parking lot.

I've seen media stories recommending people leave cars unlocked so that when thieves want to steal your stuff they don't also have to break your window to do so. That will NEVER be me, and I can't believe we live in a society where they constitutes advice.

Just curious others thoughts on this and how you are approaching in daily life.

Be safe out there! Happy Jeeping.

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 11.02.58 AM.png

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/191216/reported-motor-vehicle-theft-rate-in-the-us-since-1990/
By looking at the graph, are you implying cars in 2010 didn’t have anti theft devices?
Also the real dumb asses are those that carry then leave it in their vehicles to be stolen.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'd appreciate feedback from the group regarding these conflicting realities for Jeep owners. Always being prepared (and stocking your jeep with various supplies), vs. not leaving items of value.
I vote for Always Prepared, and have configured my person and my vehicles accordingly.

I'd have trouble forgiving myself if I was in reduced circumstances, and unable to self-rescue, because I had allowed myself to be scared by whatever crime statistics the media was trying to sell...meaning my gear bags were left at home, being useless.

Recall that journalism isn't a profession anymore. It's a tactic. Don't let the manufactured message distract you from the important things. :beer:

Sponsored

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Well, car theft was a more significant problem 20 years or so by a lot, probably twice as bad so I think it is a matter of where you live and the crime rate. I won't park any of my vehicles if we go into DC, I'll take the metro. If I can't see my vehicle, it's probably not a place I'm going :) Obviously, there are exceptions but in my city, it's not an issue but driving into the big city...nope.

Now to leaving your vehicle unlocked, I'm with you. I did see a series on thefts in California where they drive up, punch the window and grab everything in 15 seconds. They punch out the rear window and fold down the seat to see what's in the trunk. It's crazy how organized and quick they are.

PS I conceal carry and have for as long as I can remember. Not so much for a car thief, they can have it, my insurance will cover it but if I feel like it's someone out of control or I'm in a restaurant or other place where an active shooter comes into play. If someone rolls up on you to steal your car and their intent was to shoot you, you probably can't react quickly enough. It's their intent from the beginning and they have the upper hand. For the most part, most carjackings do not end with a loss of life. I know that probably doesn't help. Everyone has to make their own decisions based on the circumstances.
Agreed! BTW - Really like the look of your 392, awesome rig. What side steps did you put on it?

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Yeah, my house is typically unlocked, and often my Jeep is unlocked with the key in it. It's not uncommon for me to forget where my keys are, and they are in the cup holder of the Jeep, car keys, house keys, key to the mailbox. My life is pretty worry-free.
sounds like you live in a nice area :)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This is the unsurprising result of prioritizing a criminals humanity over the crimes that they commit. Increasing gun laws that only affect law abiding citizens will only ever help incentive the criminals to keep going faster and stronger.

If society doesn't get a handle on the clear and obvious root causes, we'll never get off of the hamster wheel of chasing the affects.

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

By looking at the graph, are you implying cars in 2010 didn’t have anti theft devices?
Also the real dumb asses are those that carry then leave it in their vehicles to be stolen.
Not at all, I don't recall when they started becoming common (early 2000's likely with a lot of those cars remaining on the road until early 2010's). I just snapshotted the last 12 years as really anything before that is not overly relevant to what is currently happening and how best to respond.
Sponsored