Sponsored

Inexpensive way to add power AND improve fuel economy! Nope!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I've had two V10 F250s. I learned with the first one, 3.73s, that they don't like to lug under load at low RPMs, fuel mileage was 9-12. Towing heavy was 7-8. The second one I ordered with 4.30 gears and 34" tires. Fuel mileage was 9 towing heavy and 14 on the highway at 65-70. over 72 and it dropped to 11-12. I put a Banks Monster Exhaust on it and all it did was make noise, and the drone in the cab got annoying on any kind of trip. I got no performance or mileage improvements at all.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
There are some products that will improve efficiency and power. However, the best ones usually cost the most, to reflect the increased manufacturing costs, and engineering that went into development.
Absolutely. Properly matched and programmed turbos and superchargers are good examples of this. I’m interested to see how the 3.6s with Edelbrock supercharges hold up — but thats a very expensive mod.

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
My point is there’s no free (or near free) ride when improving engine performance, just as there’s no free ride on suspension improvement. We can and do improve our Jeeps, but achieving real improvement costs cubic dollars.

We bought a new Sport Altitude with the 3.6 A/T. I thought about adding the K &N air filter assembly and dual outlet muffler, but the power/gas mileage gains versus the cost didn't seem worth it. I have to admit I love the appearance of the dual outlet muffler though. Gas mileage concerns were on the bottom of the list when buying our Wrangler. I have no intentions adding suspension or tire/rim changes.
There are also some downsides to dual exhaust on a jeep. The first is you can’t conveniently use an exhaust jack, and they can be really handy. Next, in addition to taking up more room under the jeep and interfering with some aftermarket skid plate systems, the ones I have seen have been as low or lower than than the OEM exhaust, which costs ground clearnce. I went custom-simple, and picked up additional clearance.

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The dual exhaust out the back on Wranglers majorly kills the departure angle. Worthless mod.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
OEMs do put a lot of time and effort into getting the most efficient, powerful systems they can.

However, they do have to consider manufacturing costs and ease, long-term durability, serviceability, and other factors that we as end consumers don't.
I absolutely do prioritize the perceived durability and ease of maintenance when shopping for a vehicle. The matter of serviceability is particularly important because I'm paying for it, no matter if I DIY the work or if the keys are given to the Svc Dept.

My purchase dollars are guided by exactly how much time I perceive the OEMs have invested, or not, in the overall engineering of the vehicle, and by extension, how that crosswalks to the ownership experience. We ignore such things at our peril.

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
I had a 2008 JK 2dr with the RIPP supercharger and it increased performance and fuel mileage.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Nope!

If you see claims like this they are crapola. Coil packs, cold-air intakes, throttle body spacers, high performance plugs and plug wires, chrome-plated gazornplats, high-speed dip-sticks… It’s all crap.

Stellantis and, previously, FCA, have spent hundreds of millions of dollars working on ways to develop more power while simultaneously improving fuel economy and powertrain durability. In the unlikely event their fleet of engineers, high-tech labs, and decades of research on their platforms missed the low hanging fruit, they’d simply buy the company that stumbled on the better throttle body (or whatever).

You can add tuners, nitrous, or forced induction to develop more power, of course, but there are no sub-$500 solutions that will give you more power AND more fuel economy AND protect/preserve your engine. The fact that people continue make these aftermarket companies rich is evidence of how gullible we humans are. It’s snake-oil 2023.

There really is one born every minute.
Have I got a vaccine for you!

Sponsored

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Remember HHO generators for cars? Total scam. 35% promised gains. No independent testers have been able to show any benefits.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I've had two V10 F250s. I learned with the first one, 3.73s, that they don't like to lug under load at low RPMs, fuel mileage was 9-12. Towing heavy was 7-8. The second one I ordered with 4.30 gears and 34" tires. Fuel mileage was 9 towing heavy and 14 on the highway at 65-70. over 72 and it dropped to 11-12. I put a Banks Monster Exhaust on it and all it did was make noise, and the drone in the cab got annoying on any kind of trip. I got no performance or mileage improvements at all.
Interesting— my V10 Dodge can lug with anything that burns gas, including the GMC & IH 6’s, after the upgrades it was even in the same league with the 12 valve Cummins ( fathers 160/65 HP 94)

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
If in the US get the taxpayer to get you a 4xe for less than the fossil version, depending on trim etc, it's an inexpensive way to add power AND improve fuel economy.

When I got my Sahara is was just a couple of hundred dollars difference between the gas vs 4xe, and that was with no government grease.

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had a 2008 JK 2dr with the RIPP supercharger and it increased performance and fuel mileage.
So far, the reviews on the Edelbrock supercharger are great. Only three things are holding me back:
1) Concern about reduced engine life.
2) Uncertainty about whether it will fit with the Genesis dual battery system and the S&B CAI
3) The desire to retire before I turn 100.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
A rule of thumb we used to use for motorcycles was that you recover 1 HP for every 10# lost.
Lose the gear bag and highlift and access the free 5 HP while grabbing a little more fuel efficiency.
Or don’t. YMMV
Sponsored