Third Row Seat Installed

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Excellent fab skills but with having 6 adults in the Jeep it will put the rig at or over the gross vehicle weight limit. Add any luggage in for a trip (assuming you can find any room for it) and it WILL be over the gross weight limit.

You will be under with kids but you still have to find room for luggage. Our old Commander had 3 rows but with the 3rd row up there was no room for more than 2 carry on suitcases unless you loaded gear into laps if you wanted everything inside the vehicle.
Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
The company I bought mine from in 2008 is still selling them. Still have it. Works great. If you are interested in getting one I highly recommend it. Quite a few options out there just google it lots of stuff will pop up.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Guy gets a plus from me on excellent skills n fabrication.. with that said, in our hyper litigious society it probably isn’t a viable option-plus the obvious question of “why”. If you need (or just want” to haul lots of folks there are far more comfortable, practical and safer options. Heck my 2 door doesn’t even have A back seat

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Looks great! But, for safety and liability reasons, I would not put my family or friends in that third row located in the Jeeps' crumple zone.

Not bashing ... But you asked for opinions.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
This thread reminds me why our society is in a steady decline, fear of everything and lawyers. None of you have ever seen the pink Jeep tours? They drive on freeways and highways in popular tourist areas like moab, Sedona, and even Las Vegas with seats hanging off the back and sides. Will a bad enough accident kill all 10 passengers? Absolutely. Will a single crash wipe them out due to liability? Not unless one of those seats fall off or some other type of negligence can be proven. You are still able to bolt seats and seat belts into the bed of your truck and drive around with people in the bed, no cage, 100% dead in a roll over, and yet there are companies that sell kits for that purpose. Ever seen what a big rig does to your crash tested "safe" vehicle when it fails to stop for traffic? A bad enough accident will kill regardless of safety measures, crash tests, or whatever illusion of safety you buy in to. I'm willing to bet the kid in that 3rd row fares better than the kid in the back of a hatchback when rear ended by a taller truck or suv.

Last edited:

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Some of y’all’s arguments remind me why my parents have more than one story that ends up with a friend dead or paralyzed when reminiscing about stupid things people used to do.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Excellent fab skills but with having 6 adults in the Jeep it will put the rig at or over the gross vehicle weight limit.
Congrats for being the first person to point it out! The first thing I did after reading the OP's post was ctrl+f search for weight lol.

Much to my surprise, a rubicon 4 door can hold 1351lbs payload. A sport 4 door can hold 1233lbs.

Still, that's between the front and rear axles.

I think you'd actually be ok with weight. That's a surprise to me. I can't imagine driving a wrangler with 7 people inside would be any fun though. Especially if they weigh 1300lbs combined! It'd be like driving a very sloppy boat lol. Dude. A regular Wrangler with a couple people in it is bad enough lmao.

I am impressed with the OP's friend's super clean job though. Even installing a roll bar.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Its gonna be tight on payload capacity. That payload capacity typically compares the gross weight vs curb weight. From what I remember the curb weight is dry weight so part of that cargo capacity does not count on fuel load. 21.5 gallons at about 6 lbs/gal means roughly 130 lbs of fuel.

Can the Jeep carry more? Probably yes and you will be perfectly fine just about all the time. It’s that 1 time that shit goes sideways …….

@Zandcwhite yep been on a pink Jeep tour in Gatlinburg and yes they toss some people in then but they Are typically heavily modified with an upgraded suspension, axles, and oversized tires. The Jeep we rode in had 8 bolt axles so probably 1 ton axles.

626A209F-14B4-4A1D-B98C-A16EBDEAE2C1.jpeg

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I'm no lawyer but I would say all of it in a crash.
I figure the term "off-road use only" would handle liability. That is how you can drive a Jeep around with no doors and the windshield folded down. I wouldn't think it'd be less safe than cruising around with the doors off (which I do on non-Interstate highways).

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
@Zandcwhite yep been on a pink Jeep tour in Gatlinburg and yes they toss some people in then but they Are typically heavily modified with an upgraded suspension, axles, and oversized tires. The Jeep we rode in had 8 bolt axles so probably 1 ton axles.

Wow! You've actually been on one of these? I see them all over the park when I'm up there thinking "I'd never ride in that monstrosity". I'm not against pink as I wear pink shirts to work, but these "vehicles" are just embarrassing to the term Jeep. LOL!

EDIT: My wife says that she would totally ride on one of these. :) It is kindof an expensive ride out to Newfound Gap from Pigeon Forge though.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Its gonna be tight on payload capacity. That payload capacity typically compares the gross weight vs curb weight. From what I remember the curb weight is dry weight so part of that cargo capacity does not count on fuel load. 21.5 gallons at about 6 lbs/gal means roughly 130 lbs of fuel.

Can the Jeep carry more? Probably yes and you will be perfectly fine just about all the time. It’s that 1 time that shit goes sideways …….

Upgrades cover the payload aspect, but completely ignore the point of my post. All the safety concerns and "liability" comments are obviously out the window for these companies running tens of thousands of passengers around in these things that are clearly less safe than what the OP posted every year.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
This thread reminds me why our society is in a steady decline, fear of everything and lawyers.
Or they don't remember back in the day when a family would cram 3 people up front on the bench, 3 in the rear and 2 kids stuffed in the back of a station wagon. Probably wasn't the safest thing, but it really wasn't uncommon to see back in the days before airbags, anti-lock brakes and crumple zones.