Sponsored

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
How do you all prep for winter? Where I live is pretty mild, but I plan to make some trips to the mountains, where we get a lot of snow, so want to be prepared.

I have windshield protection film on, so all I've done is refreshed the ceramic coating on that, so the rain beads off, to prep for the rain that we get.

What should I do to prep for freezing when I go to the mountains? I've read about the issues with the defroster, and how I might want to redirect the flow of that, I currently just use it on medium to prevent it from breaking my windshield.
Sponsored

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
So you live in California and you are worried about Winter?

Okay, big issue is having the right windshield washer fluid in ANY vehicle you are driving when there is snow and Ice. Too many people run the cheap stuff and then wonder why their washer nozzles freeze up.
You should have the proper antifreeze in your radiator too, but that’s a factory fill.

Issue with the defrost? News to me, my 2020 works fine and with enough heat to run me out of the jeep like all of them have been except for my Radio and Heater delete CJ I had back in the 70’s.

Was 19 degrees out this morning in Upstate NY. No issues. There are things I do to prevent Rust and Corrosion but that is due to being in this state.

OP
OP

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
There are things I do to prevent Rust and Corrosion but that is due to being in this state.
Yeah, no salt on our roads here.

The mountains regularly get temps below 0F in the winter and about once a winter that can be the daytime high. I'll spend at least a month up there this winter, so want to be prepared. This will be my first time up there with the jeep in the winter.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I prepare for winter by going from an iced caramel macchiato and chocolate chip muffin to a hot pumpkin spice latte and a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Whenever I get ready for a winter road trip, I assume I’ll get stranded and spend a night in the Jeep.

Accordingly, I pack:
  1. Dry food and water. Trail mix, granola bars, even chocolate bars are all good
  2. Cold weather rated sleeping bags for every person in the vehicle, or at least a set of warm blankets
  3. Wool socks, gloves, warm coats and hats for everyone in the vehicle
  4. Two recovery straps
  5. A folding shovel
  6. Portable air compressor
  7. If you have a winch, pack a tree saver, a snatch block and some D-rings
  8. If your Jeep has a lift, pack a jack base or a high lift

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
  • Packed pre-made food, or grab something on the way in a A&W/Wendys
  • Expect to camp in harsh conditions - heated sleeping bags and if possible 2x jackerys
  • Wool inner liners up down and socks.
  • Maxxtrax or similar recovery boards - min of 2
  • Recovery gear and winch. If you dont have winch, do not venture somewhere a tow vehicle cant come to

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You're in the bay area, have a JL, and you're probably heading to the Sierras, or Tahoe? If that's the case, you'll want to make sure your car is reasonably maintained. You should probably bring a litre of drinking water, a shovel and a cell phone charger.

bradcrc

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
put the top and doors back on.

put the floormats back in, at least with the JK they would blow out when going down the highway in high winds if you didn't have your feet on them, I think maybe these will stay in with the doors off, but I'll find out next summer.

swap sides with my pickup. I hang the hard top from the roof of my garage in summer, but that only works on the far side, so in winter, I park on the other side when I don't need to hang the top.

it gets cold here (-15 today) and I don't do anything special to the jeep to prep for that. Just make sure you don't use washer fluid that won't hold up to cold temps.

Sponsored

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Gonna be cold here tomorrow night and a few days after. Prepare for the cold, other than the normal stuff as blowing out the water lines in the motorhome with compressed air, cover my citrus tree, pick all the stuff outta my fall garden I want to save.

We made a huge pot of chili. We be all set.

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
How do you all prep for winter? Where I live is pretty mild, but I plan to make some trips to the mountains, where we get a lot of snow, so want to be prepared.

I have windshield protection film on, so all I've done is refreshed the ceramic coating on that, so the rain beads off, to prep for the rain that we get.

What should I do to prep for freezing when I go to the mountains? I've read about the issues with the defroster, and how I might want to redirect the flow of that, I currently just use it on medium to prevent it from breaking my windshield.
I was worried about the defrost complaints as well after reading some of the comments in other threads but we haven't had any issue with our 19. Wind chill of -17 and over a foot of snow overnight, no issues with the defrost at all so far.

I even asked my dealer about it when I was there for a service, he said it was an overblown complaint that lives on forums lol. Hard to argue with him after our experience this winter lol.
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you prep your Jeep JL for winter? 🥶❄️ IMG_0295

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I change from short pants to long a couple of days then back to shorts. But if it’s a wet cold here it’s cold. 😎