First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Has anyone tried the old Lange Hoist-a-Cart with the new conversion kit to remove the hard top on the JL? I purchased the conversion from Lange, but before using it I'd like to hear how it worked out in real life - I don't want to damage my new top. I love one of the alternatives, but it was close to $1000 and the Lange solution allows for a much smaller storage footprint.

Thanks!
Sponsored

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I have the Lange power hoist. I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the cradle. The OD and ID are too far off and allow the pieces to sag. It's pretty flimsy. But it's installed and it lifts. No matter what I tied, it tilts slightly. But not badly enough that it causes problems. But definitely not worth $500

OP
OP
ekimgnuj

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I have the Lange power hoist. I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the cradle. The OD and ID are too far off and allow the pieces to sag. It's pretty flimsy. But it's installed and it lifts. No matter what I tied, it tilts slightly. But not badly enough that it causes problems. But definitely not worth $500
Thanks, I feel the same way about the hoist-a-cart, but I do like the long-term storage solution. I love the TopLift Pros hoist, but it doesn't really offer storage other than to park under the top.

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
My plan is to build a car to sit the top on, with storage in th middle for doors. Lower the top down and move the cart off to the side. I don't want it dangling there

OP
OP
ekimgnuj

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

The hoist-a-cart is the one that has a platform to stand the hard top upright. It worked OK on the JK, maybe a couple of scratches - and the first strap that came with the cart was defective, and permanently defaced my hard top (Lange did end up replacing the strap, apparently it was happening to a lot of people). I'm just not sure how the conversion kit will work with the JL.

Sponsored

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
w
Has anyone tried the old Lange Hoist-a-Cart with the new conversion kit to remove the hard top on the JL? I purchased the conversion from Lange, but before using it I'd like to hear how it worked out in real life - I don't want to damage my new top. I love one of the alternatives, but it was close to $1000 and the Lange solution allows for a much smaller storage footprint.

Thanks!
Do you use the hoist-a-cart on the JL?

OP
OP
ekimgnuj

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

w

No, the adaptor they sent me only works for the hoist a top, not the hoist a cart - so I can't use it. And the hoist a cart made for the JK won't work on the JL apparently. I'm hoping the hard top is a little lighter than on the JK, and I can use my "hoist a teenagers" to help me remove it, since I can't use the Hoist a Cart.

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
No, the adaptor they sent me only works for the hoist a top, not the hoist a cart - so I can't use it. And the hoist a cart made for the JK won't work on the JL apparently. I'm hoping the hard top is a little lighter than on the JK, and I can use my "hoist a teenagers" to help me remove it, since I can't use the Hoist a Cart.
How did you like the hoist a cart when you had the JK?

OP
OP
ekimgnuj

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

How did you like the hoist a cart when you had the JK?
It worked ok, I had a couple of problems but it allowed me to remove and store the top alone. Mine arrived without the handle for the crank, meaning it was useless, but they sent one out. And I had a problem with the cable shields binding up with the cables. But the JK unlimited top was too heavy for my wife to assist, so it definitely allowed me to do it solo. I’m hoping the JL top is light enough that I can do it with my teenage son’s help.

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
... I love one of the alternatives, but it was close to $1000

Thanks!
Search the bboard OP for the Freedom Jack, which is--although I do not work for the company in any way, IMHO, cheaper, easier, and more secure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ekimgnuj

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

w

For the record, I sent an email to Lange about returning the adapter, and they told me there was a part that could be used to make the JK version work with the JL. Not sure if I am going to go that route, but I did note that they have a JL version of the hoist-a-cart coming soon.

Carnut12

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 BMW M4
Just curious what you ended up doing? I have the Hoist A Cart for the JK and I am thinking about getting the JL, it would be nice to know if the JK Hoist will work with the JL somehow.

OP
OP
ekimgnuj

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Just curious what you ended up doing? I have the Hoist A Cart for the JK and I am thinking about getting the JL, it would be nice to know if the JK Hoist will work with the JL somehow.
Not sure if it is out yet, but Lange's website indicated there would be an adapter from JK to JL for the hoist-a-cart. I had so many problems with my hoist-a-cart that I ended up selling it on Craigslist and just getting Quadratec's cart for standing up the hard top. The JL hard top is considerably lighter than the JK, so my teen son and I were easily able to take it off and then put it on at the end of the soft top season. The cart is much smaller than the hoist-a-cart, takes up much less space in the garage. I would say any two adults can take the JL hard top on and off, so I'm fine with no lift or hoist. This is what I got: https://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_301_07.htm

If space in my garage was no issue (and if they had not been on backorder), I would have gotten the hoist I've seen on this forum (but can't find, the bookmark was on my old computer sorry) that you rolled under the top, pushed down on a bar to lift the top, then just rolled the top off the Jeep. Wish I could remember the name, but it would take up a lot of space in the garage. The vendor website showed you being able to keep the top lifted high and pulling nose-in under it, don't really want to take up that much space in my garage but it is by far the easiest solution.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I hope you find a good solution that works for you. For me, the JL top is light enough to no longer need a lift, and standing it up on end on the little cart doesn't take up too much space.

snowtx1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I sent a note to Lange today to see if they have the kit for the Hoist A Cart to convert the JK to the JL. I'll post the response.
Sponsored