JT pickup has one less competitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chanchan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Discovery
There's a reddit user who apparently is a ford designer and leaked a lot of info on the 2018 Ranger. I got this summary from a Bronco forum. Just my opinion but if this info is true the U.S. Ranger is dead in the water as a JT competitor
  • It will be body on frame!
  • It will be a facelifted T6. T6 is the current generation of the Ranger. Unfortunately, market research indicates that a vehicle the same size as the 4th-gen Ranger will flop. That may be what you and I as Ranger owners want, but our target market does not want a truck that size. That may be a part of the next generation of Ranger, but for now we are only doing a facelift.
  • Drivetrain combinations are still being considered. We are watching the Colorado's MT and Diesel sales, as well as monitoring fallout from VW's Dieselgate, amid fears that family-oriented diesel vehicles are 'tainted'.
  • This truck will be a competitor to the Colorado. Our design team does not have the autonomy to change the hood, companies have already been contracted to produce the current design of most body panels. The new truck will be a facelifted T6. Our biggest consideration is preventing cannibalism of sales from the F-150.
  • Unfortunately, it will never resemble 4th-Gen Rangers. We have done extensive market research and that size of truck will simply not be profitable. By 2011 the Ranger's sales were being entirely propped up by fleet purchases, same as the Crown Victoria. People smarter than me that get paid more than me have made all of these decisions already, and I say this with a heavy heart, as a 4th-gen owner myself.
  • The process for developing trim levels is that we design it fully loaded, and then the guys from sales come in and start stripping features to meet a series of price points. Each price point is a trim level. For certain trim levels they then send it back to Design to be "dressed up", in order to look more aggressive (for off-road oriented trims) or expensive (for luxury oriented trims)
  • Vinyl floor is probably not a likely option unless we have a fleet trim level. Tilt steering will be standard, though!
  • We're working on a few different designs for market testing! One does resemble the F-150.
  • Crew Cab with the 5 foot bed will be an option, but Super Cab with a 6 foot bed will also be an option.
  • It will be much bigger than the 4th-gen Ranger, it will be a facelifted T6 Ranger. It is about the same size as the 10th Generation F-150.
  • It will be facelifted, new headlights, grille, and front fascia. Corporate has mandated that the major body panels go unchanged.
Sponsored

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Not sure any of these details if true means the Ranger will suck as a JT competitor. It should be competitive in the midsize truck segment. The one sold internationally right now can tow 7716 pounds and estimated max payload capacity over 2000 pounds.

The specs of the Ranger, Colorado, Tacoma, and Ridgeline are not secrets, so Jeep knows the specs the JT pickup truck has to match if they want it to be competitive in the segment. I hope they not only match but one ups the others.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Th JT should be the only one on the market that has a different look to it (that is if it looks like the renderings). As Jeeps customization ability with removable fenders and bumper that are not integrated into the grills will be a big plus for enthusiasts. Also it will be the only solid axel offering.

With that said Im sure the Ranger will be great and will sell well against the Tacoma, Colorado/Canyon .... the biggest disappointment is the Bronco as that wont even be close to a Wrangler competitor base on that same AMA

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
Th JT should be the only one on the market that has a different look to it (that is if it looks like the renderings). As Jeeps customization ability with removable fenders and bumper that are not integrated into the grills will be a big plus for enthusiasts. Also it will be the only solid axel offering.
It should look close to the renderings as long as it sticks to the spied prototype's shape and size. So it'll definitely be the best looking and most unique pickup on the market besides the upcoming Mercedes one (which looks hideous btw). All the other pickups look like pure utility vehicles to me. Even hopped up ones like the Raptor.

Taimaishu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Ford said it will pretty much be the same global Ranger with a few adjustments for US buyer preferences. With the JT coming out the same time Ford is being too conservative imo.

Sponsored

TraderNTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Ford said it will pretty much be the same global Ranger with a few adjustments for US buyer preferences. With the JT coming out the same time Ford is being too conservative imo.
Yea not interested in the T6 Ranger. The only way they could sway me from the JT is with a Raptor/SVT version but they'll have to fix the front end.

Jeep Wrangler JL JT pickup has one less competitor {filename}

Status
Not open for further replies.