Sponsored

HELP PLS!!!! Jeep Service Center returned my JLU with NO OIL after routine oil change.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
While I agree with the sentiment that Jeep owners are *usually* enthusiasts, there are some places in this country that make getting rid of used engine oil more difficult than it needs to be. I live in such a place and it is just easier to have my dealer change the oil and responsibly deal with the waste. Used tires are even worse around here. Oil, coolant, and tires just have to get handled elsewhere. Some of the easiest stuff to do, but the hardest to clean up.

With all of that being said, do I need to turn in my Jeep enthusiast card?šŸ˜

Omen
Just dig a hole. Keep your card. Thank me later ;)
Sponsored

Omen

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys 2.0
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Manager

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
That is terrible and no excuse for it.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Did that when I was a kid. Pretty sure I caused climate change...
I used to change the oil for friends at my moms house when I was a kid. Gallons over the years of a youthful but very talented kid between the ages of 16-22 years of age. Now, I'm not saying I did this, nor am I admitting to anything but the old oil used to go down a funnel through the hole in a manhole cover... During broad daylight! One day the neighborhood went dark. Apparently some 5 years later, the oil which was thought to be going into the sewer was going into an electrical vault. Blew that shit right up! Con Edison (utility co) employees had no idea how that could have gotten in there! Took them a couple of days to fix. Blamed it on my mom's 1973 Chevy Malibu leaking into the manhole for years. (That manhole cover was right next to the curb in front of our house.) Yes, that's what happened. Her car had been dripping for years. This was in NYC by the way! Left that state 22 years ago. Good riddance.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
While I agree with the sentiment that Jeep owners are *usually* enthusiasts, there are some places in this country that make getting rid of used engine oil more difficult than it needs to be. I live in such a place and it is just easier to have my dealer change the oil and responsibly deal with the waste. Used tires are even worse around here. Oil, coolant, and tires just have to get handled elsewhere. Some of the easiest stuff to do, but the hardest to clean up.

With all of that being said, do I need to turn in my Jeep enthusiast card?šŸ˜

Omen
I do my own oil change and always take the old oil to either autozone or advance auto in NJ which both have recycling oil drums at their stores, no question asked and the store people are super nice and friendly in my area, tires Iā€™ve taken to pep boys in the past and paid a certain amount $$ for each to be recycled, we used to have a u pull it location that was like a junk yard that you can get your own used parts off the cars but unfortunately those closed, but they were easy to drop off used oil and tires etc for a small fee

Sponsored

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
I used to change the oil for friends at my moms house when I was a kid. Gallons over the years of a youthful but very talented kid between the ages of 16-22 years of age. Now, I'm not saying I did this, nor am I admitting to anything but the old oil used to go down a funnel through the hole in a manhole cover... During broad daylight! One day the neighborhood went dark. Apparently some 5 years later, the oil which was thought to be going into the sewer was going into an electrical vault. Blew that shit right up! Con Edison (utility co) employees had no idea how that could have gotten in there! Took them a couple of days to fix. Blamed it on my mom's 1973 Chevy Malibu leaking into the manhole for years. (That manhole cover was right next to the curb in front of our house.) Yes, that's what happened. Her car had been dripping for years. This was in NYC by the way! Left that state 22 years ago. Good riddance.
I'll never forget pulling up to Franky P********'s house on my xr80. He had his CR laying on its side along the street curb. Drain plug was stripped so the fill hole was now upside down to drain, down the gutter. That was around '91.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Autozone, Advance, and O'Reily all take used oil in my area. 5 gallons per day is the limit and you have to take the empty container with you and dispose of yourself. Tire shops I think have to take used tires but like said before they will charge a few bucks per tire.

Getting rid of old coolant has been my issue. Can't find a place to take it.

Back to the OP, yeah they owe him an engine, yeah he should have stopped driving the Jeep the second the oil light came on. many years ago my aunt had an old XJ that Jiffy Lube screwed up the oil change on and bought her a short block and covered the install.

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
How can a engine run for 5 to 6 miles, with no engine oil in it?
New technology of oils. If it started as a cold motor and wasn't revved much, it could possibly make it. Not saying cylinder walls aren't scorched but it will keep running. How long would be the $20 question.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
During cash for clunkers they were pouring chemical laden glass beads down these engines on traded in cars. Many have told me the old Ford Windsor motors kept going for half hour or more. Some of the Japanese cars seized up in seconds.

Sponsored

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
It happens more often in my area at local jiffys and the like
From no oil to no filter to no plug
Generally ends the same with lies lies lies
I suppose a reminder to all of us to actually check before we leave the dealership if we choose to have them change the oil and obviously if we are going to have someone change the oil the dealership is still the best choice for several reasons
Warranty issues - to verify we actually did this correctly
Higher costs - to keep our wallets nice and light
Waiting forever - To enjoy the awesome waiting rooms with cookies
well.... I guess just the first one šŸ¤£
Sorry about your Jeep

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Waiting forever - To enjoy the awesome waiting rooms with cookies
I have to go to those places for yearly state inspection but not for anything else. We have 3 cars so that is 3 times per year. The one where I go is friendly and they always have cookies because I bring the cookies with me.

J.C.

First Name
J.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willy's Sport
Like others have said, always check your dip stick right after an oil change. Typically, reputable places show your dipstick to you before you pay.

I once changed the oil myself in my Ram for the first time. Whoever changed the oil the last time put my filter on so tight that I about injured my arm trying to get it off with a filter wrench. What I didn't realize is that the gasket that was supposed to stick to the filter was still stuck on, and when I put the new filter on I had two gaskets. The next morning on my way to work, about five miles form my house my low oil pressure light came on. I immediately stopped, as you should, and looked under the hood and realized it was spraying like a spray bottle around the filter. Its not enough to be able to trace where you leaked, but its enough to bring oil levels down to trigger an alarm, as well as show no oil on the stick. You could have had 3 or 4 quarts of oil in the jeep and it wouldn't have shown anything on the stick. Like others have said, they probably didn't have the filter on properly, and when that low oil pressure alarm goes off, its time to shut it down. If that engine is indeed messed up, they probably won't be liable because you admitted to driving it several miles after the alarm notice.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So in fairness, if a oil light is indicator that damage or failure is going to occur, it should shutdown the engine and protect it. On every boat I've had since 2005, the monitor system will absolutely shut you down if there's over temp or oil pressure issues.

At a minimum, a message in the center display or head unit to instruct the driver to take action to avoid further damage.

Sorry, this is too easy to prevent by the manufacturer.
Absolutely not legally permissible. Safety recalls are issued specifically for any failure that is commonly resulting in engine stalls while driving. The engine can burn up for all anyone cares, you have time to safely pull over and stop the vehicle. That is the responsibility of the driver.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
WOW, so first any "gasket" leak is going to take forever to drain an engine of oil
You obviously have never heard of a ā€œdouble gasketā€ situation......a situation in which a spin-on oil filter is replaced....replaced without wiping down the oil filter base....where the previous oil filter gasket is still stuck to the oil filter housing.

The above reason is why I asked the OP what engine was in their Jeep in post #2.
Sponsored