Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Not sure if these have been mentioned... Redline hood struts.
Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Yes. Rocks and mud can go right under the front fender, up the side of the door, chip door hinges and turn the door handle into a wad of mud/salt/grime. I got Rokblokz and they work great.
The dealership took me on a test drive along a mud soaked gravel field that ran along side railroad tracks. It was great fun kicking up all that mud and spraying rocks everywhere. But I knew right then that I would have to get extra large mud flaps and the the OEM ones from FCA just wouldn’t cut it.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The dealership took me on a test drive along a mud soaked gravel field that ran along side railroad tracks. It was great fun kicking up all that mud and spraying rocks everywhere. But I knew right then that I would have to get extra large mud flaps and the the OEM ones from FCA just wouldn’t cut it.
I'm surprised they let you test drive there. It's also a good test to assess the salesman. Did they try to BS their way out if it or did they readily admit you might want to get aftermarket mudflaps?

So you don't learn the hard way, get removable mudflaps. When in very rough terrain it is possible to get a mudflap wedged between a rock & the rock rails moving forward and between the ground and the tire in reverse. If either happen the mudflap will get ripped right off no matter how durable it is. Of course, that's when you want the functionality of a mud flap the most so it ends up being a judgement call at all times.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I'm surprised they let you test drive there. It's also a good test to assess the salesman. Did they try to BS their way out if it or did they readily admit you might want to get aftermarket mudflaps?

So you don't learn the hard way, get removable mudflaps. When in very rough terrain it is possible to get a mudflap wedged between a rock & the rock rails moving forward and between the ground and the tire in reverse. If either happen the mudflap will get ripped right off no matter how durable it is. Of course, that's when you want the functionality of a mud flap the most so it ends up being a judgement call at all times.
I had been studying Wrangler listings for months before I decided to actually start visiting dealerships. I knew more about the Wrangler than the salesman so he did not try to sell me any last minute dealer installed crapola.

I got the Rokblokz right away. They seemed ridiculously expensive at the time (this was before the pandemic) but I realized that Rokblokz had a monopoly at the time and I was willing to reward their initiative in taking the lead in designing and offering their extra large flaps at a time when other after-market companies were still doing their best to milk the large base of JK owners out there.

Fast forward today when everything is expensive and the supply and demand curves seem all out of whack. I barely was able to replace my dead after-market battery this weekend which was still covered under warranty. But warranty is useless if the replacement battery is on back order.

… but as for why the dealer was willing to let me do a test drive off-pavement … I knew that particular vehicle had been sitting on the lot for a long time. For some reason everyone in our 8 million people metropolitan area (San Francisco Bay Area) believes that they have to buy a Rubicon. My 2018 model year Sahara was getting no love on the dealer lot. I showed up on Dec 29, 2019 and walked out the door negotiating a selling price $13k below MSRP. They had also tacked on about $9k of after-market parts to increase the appeal (I estimated it only cost them $4.5k wholesale pricing) but it still was not selling.

I think a lot of people who never go off-road like the more aggressive factory-direct look of the Rubicon and have no idea that the Wrangler is one of the most (probably “the most”) owner-modifiable mass-production vehicle on the market. And there are plenty of choices for the modifications to be functional or cosmetic. A lot of engineers live in this area and they fancy themselves as having the technical know-how to appreciate the functionality of the Rubicon’s lockers, gearing, steel bumpers, roomier fenders, etc. but the reality is that they couldn’t land their finger in the general direction of the Rubicon Trail on an unmarked topographical map of Northern California. But that’s OK, I’d rather that FCA sell lots of Jeeps than to struggle like other heritage brands that have been severely damaged (e.g. Buick, Cadillac) by the foolish neglect of their corporate HQ.

In my opinion Jeep designers and marketers did a fantastic job with the JL Wrangler portfolio to maximize the profitability of the venerable product line and help keep it financially healthy for a long time so that enthusiasts could feel relatively secure that this oddball of a vehicle that we call the Wrangler will continue to be with us for a few more model generations.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2018 model year Sahara was getting no love on the dealer lot. I showed up on Dec 29, 2019 and walked out the door negotiating a selling price $13k below MSRP. They had also tacked on about $9k of after-market parts to increase the appeal (I estimated it only cost them $4.5k wholesale pricing) but it still was not selling.
Wow, that is an unusual situation. Way to seize the day! That makes a lot of sense now, anything to make that vehicle go away.

I know the type, only the best will do even if it's guaranteed overkill. Like, what does this "Rear / Front+Rear" button do? I don't know, I never have to use it because the Rubicon is the best. The irony that gets me is that for their use case they're much better off with LSDs instead of open diffs. But whatever. Economy of scale is an important thing and they're generously making that better, whether they know it or not.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Or get decent rock sliders. Many of us don't exactly appreciate the looks of mud flaps.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or get decent rock sliders. Many of us don't exactly appreciate the looks of mud flaps.
Unfortunately in Utah that's not legal if your suspension is modified from OEM. That's what got Rockblokz started. Filled a legally required need.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Unfortunately in Utah that's not legal if your suspension is modified from OEM. That's what got Rockblokz started. Filled a legally required need.
If the suspension is modified from OEM you have to have mudflaps??? That seems arbitrary.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the suspension is modified from OEM you have to have mudflaps??? That seems arbitrary.
I think it's a cash grab by the state to stop anyone they deem has modified their vehicle. Total bullshit to me. One of the reasons we left NYC 23 years ago. That and the fact that NY was a "May issue" state.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is what it is. Some say it's a cash grab, others say it's to prevent rocks being thrown at other vehicles. FWIW, Utah is a place than can have rather extreme off road vehicles that are incompatible with other vehicles in a road or highway speed collision. I think it's a valid point. Annoying, but valid.

Basically for all UT registered vehicles with a non OEM frame height operating on UT roads, fenders must cover the wheel tread (no tread poke) and rear mudflaps are required that cover the full tread width at least down to the center of the axle. Stubby bumpers are also illegal on UT roads & highways. The frame cannot be lifted to more than 24" for a JL and 26" for a JLU. I'm not sure what that equates to as far as a max lift & tires.

That's why you see a lot of off-road Jeeps being trailered to the trailhead in UT. The laws only apply to on-road use, not on-road transport or off-road public land use.

As much as I don't like it, I have to admit that a Jeep with a 6" lift and 40s is not a good thing to have zooming down the highway at 80 MPH (the legal speed limit). That will make for a bad accident.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It is what it is. Some say it's a cash grab, others say it's to prevent rocks being thrown at other vehicles. FWIW, Utah is a place than can have rather extreme off road vehicles that are incompatible with other vehicles in a road or highway speed collision. I think it's a valid point. Annoying, but valid.

Basically for all UT registered vehicles with a non OEM frame height operating on UT roads, fenders must cover the wheel tread (no tread poke) and rear mudflaps are required that cover the full tread width at least down to the center of the axle. Stubby bumpers are also illegal on UT roads & highways. The frame cannot be lifted to more than 24" for a JL and 26" for a JLU. I'm not sure what that equates to as far as a max lift & tires.

That's why you see a lot of off-road Jeeps being trailered to the trailhead in UT. The laws only apply to on-road use, not on-road transport or off-road public land use.

As much as I don't like it, I have to admit that a Jeep with a 6" lift and 40s is not a good thing to have zooming down the highway at 80 MPH (the legal speed limit). That will make for a bad accident.
Stubby bumpers are illegal? I ordered mine (indirectly) through the factory like that, supposedly 50-state legal. I guess not.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stubby bumpers are illegal? I ordered mine (indirectly) through the factory like that, supposedly 50-state legal. I guess not.
Thanks to UT they're only 50-state legal if you don't remove the steel bumper extensions. Or at least wait until the trailhead to take them off and put them back on before you drive home.

Joy.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Thanks to UT they're only 50-state legal if you don't remove the steel bumper extensions. Or at least wait until the trailhead to take them off and put them back on before you drive home.

Joy.
I have AEV stubbies. The whole thing was orchestrated through Jeep. Directly from the factory in Toledo to the AEV shop in Michigan.

OP
OP
Willys_Wonka

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
I installed a front set of RokBlokz flaps and they seem to be working great so far!

B91BDB2F-221F-42CB-BF10-DF404081A47E.jpeg

A786EA50-497C-4672-BA47-F9E806279AF8.jpeg
Sponsored