Sponsored

Any feedback on the Bestop Hardtop Roof Rack?

Bug Splats

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 JLUR XR, ‘17 4Runner
I’m looking for a non-drill roof rack to throw some gear onto to free up some space in the cargo area when we go camping (no plans for a RTT) and the Bestop Roof Rack is priced right. I’m also looking at the rack from Rival 4x4.

The problem is, first-hand impressions/experiences with the Bestop Hardtop Roof Rack seem a little hard to come by. Even a general Google search didn’t yield much, which I wasn’t expecting given how highly regarded their Sunrider Hardtop seems to be.

Does anyone have any feedback, good or bad, past or present with the Bestop Harstop Roof Rack? Quality rack or hard pass? I need me the 4-1-1 on this roof rack. 🙂

https://www.bestop.com/products/hardtop-roof-rack-jeep-2018-2022-wrangler-jl/
Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I’m looking for a non-drill roof rack to throw some gear onto to free up some space in the cargo area when we go camping (no plans for a RTT) and the Bestop Roof Rack is priced right. I’m also looking at the rack from Rival 4x4.

The problem is, first-hand impressions/experiences with the Bestop Hardtop Roof Rack seem a little hard to come by. Even a general Google search didn’t yield much, which I wasn’t expecting given how highly regarded their Sunrider Hardtop seems to be.

Does anyone have any feedback, good or bad, past or present with the Bestop Harstop Roof Rack? Quality rack or hard pass? I need me the 4-1-1 on this roof rack. 🙂

https://www.bestop.com/products/hardtop-roof-rack-jeep-2018-2022-wrangler-jl/
@TrailJoy https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...s-the-one-that-does-it-all.97650/post-2060766 did you ever get this rack and can help out Mickey @Bug Splats?

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
No. There were a few reasons I didn't buy it.

1. I don't like how the sunrider appears to rest on the rack itself (it doesn't clear it, and sit flat the way it does with my current system). All I see are bugs (LOL) and I wonder how much it would bounce on back roads.

2. It's gutter mounted, with a recommended weight limit of 135, which is much less than my current rack system (Thule Evo, 220 lbs)

3. It costs quite a bit more than my current system, which works fine for my needs (with exception of no side rails).

If the Bestop sat a bit farther back and had a backbone, I would strongly consider it. But it's definitely the closest that I've found yet.

This does remind me though... What is the weight limit of the gutters on a four door JL? My rack would also weigh a lot less than the Bestbuy (assumingly), which would allow me to load more weight on the racks (despite of the weight limit of the rack itself).

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
No. There were a few reasons I didn't buy it.

1. I don't like how the sunrider appears to rest on the rack itself (it doesn't clear it, and sit flat the way it does with my current system). All I see are bugs (LOL) and I wonder how much it would bounce on back roads.

2. It's gutter mounted, with a recommended weight limit of 135, which is much less than my current rack system (Thule Evo, 220 lbs)

3. It costs quite a bit more than my current system, which works fine for my needs (with exception of no side rails).

If the Bestop sat a bit farther back and had a backbone, I would strongly consider it. But it's definitely the closest that I've found yet.

This does remind me though... What is the weight limit of the gutters on a four door JL? My rack would also weigh a lot less than the Bestbuy (assumingly), which would allow me to load more weight on the racks (despite of the weight limit of the rack itself).
I’m pretty sure Jeep doesn’t publish anything for the gutters, in fact I think they’ve said before don’t use it for racks. Whether that’s CYA info and it can actually is a different matter.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I’m pretty sure Jeep doesn’t publish anything for the gutters, in fact I think they’ve said before don’t use it for racks. Whether that’s CYA info and it can actually is a different matter.
https://www.bestop.com/wp-content/uploads/Installation Instructions/BDKW_41471-INS_001.pdf

Oh, I’m sorry. Is this not a type of gutter mount? It uses a clamping bracket, that seems to rest in/under the drip (gutter) rail.
I’m not familiar with this system and I’ve been fighting a headache so I haven’t read the whole thing step by step. But I did skim for drilling holes in the roof and I didn’t see any (mind you, that’s easy to miss).

Sponsored

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.bestop.com/wp-content/uploads/Installation Instructions/BDKW_41471-INS_001.pdf

Oh, I’m sorry. Is this not a type of gutter mount? It uses a clamping bracket, that seems to rest in/under the drip (gutter) rail.
I’m not familiar with this system and I’ve been fighting a headache so I haven’t read the whole thing step by step. But I did skim for drilling holes in the roof and I didn’t see any (mind you, that’s easy to miss).
No it is a gutter mount, I’m just saying I think Jeep doesn’t recommend it and doesn’t publish anything about a weight limit.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
No it is a gutter mount, I’m just saying I think Jeep doesn’t recommend it and doesn’t publish anything about a weight limit.
I don't know if Jeep specifically does or not, but I do remember googling when I bought mine and learning (I think from Jeep) that the gutters are capable of holding 220 lbs, including the weight of the rack.

A quick google search just now says otherwise at 150 though. Either way, I wouldn't trust it with anything more than light basic gear. I use mine comfortably for one kayak, and skis in the winter. I know many people who use a gutter mount rack with two kayaks, but that makes me uncomfortable. Especially if your Wrangler is older and the gutters don't extend back, which forces you to put the racks on the freedom panels. Just because you can, REALLY doesn't mean you should. But that's just my opinion. :)
Sponsored