Sponsored

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
After seeing a couple of misguided posts, I thought I would provide clarity.

The “grid” is solely a way to move electricity from one place to another.

Electricity generation is our real problem and things have only gotten worse since I was in that industry 20+ years ago.

The problem with our nation is we want to be so stupid in how we generate electricity. We don’t want coal fired plants, even though coal is one of our most abundant resources. We don’t like nuclear, fine but dumb as nuclear is very inexpensive on a large scale basis.

In the 90s, natural gas fired plants were set to be our future. They run clean and are very compact on a per kW basis. Another abundant resource. Instead of huge power plants, these were going to be small enough to put it neighborhoods, handle peak loads because they are low maintenance. So of course, state governments discouraged them from being built and are now shuttering them….and the lemmings cheer.

So a grid is useless without the product, and stupidity reigns again.
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
After seeing a couple of misguided posts, I thought I would provide clarity.

The “grid” is solely a way to move electricity from one place to another.

Electricity generation is our real problem and things have only gotten worse since I was in that industry 20+ years ago.

The problem with our nation is we want to be so stupid in how we generate electricity. We don’t want coal fired plants, even though coal is one of our most abundant resources. We don’t like nuclear, fine but dumb as nuclear is very inexpensive on a large scale basis.

In the 90s, natural gas fired plants were set to be our future. They run clean and are very compact on a per kW basis. Another abundant resource. Instead of huge power plants, these were going to be small enough to put it neighborhoods, handle peak loads because they are low maintenance. So of course, state governments discouraged them from being built and are now shuttering them….and the lemmings cheer.

So a grid is useless without the product, and stupidity reigns again.
Natural gas plants being shut down (including the largest) because they now say they pollute. The nuke plant built in the 60’s was shut down after a short life , two built on earthquake faults ( one being decommissioned, the other scheduled). Just had an off grid capable solar system installed, previously had a whole house generator and 500gal propane tank because PG&E can’t reliably keep the power on now. No power- no water with a well. Also, for a few years late 90’s-early 2000’s in the summer the power would go down about noon when the AC’s were turned on and they didn’t even try to turn it on before 10PM. ( reason for gen & propane) local grid eventually upgraded.

Last edited:

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
How old? While there are many factors contributing to potential battery degradation, time itself is likely a more critical factor than miles driven and charge cycles and the only direction to go is down.

Nothing against EVs, just that it should be a legitimate concern for consumers and it's an inevitable reality that all lithium batteries will continue to degrade over the course of time, same as your smartphone.

Image1.jpg
Time and the first 100k miles are the biggest factors it seems, 100-200k should have a smaller degradation all things being equal. At the end of 200k miles Tesla expects around 80% battery because of time and charge cycles based on the average consumer.

Based on people I know it’s about 8-10 years.

Reactions: AFD

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remember when the consumer dictated product evolution and not the government?
Market forces are no longer allowed to prevail. They are manipulated by every possible means. Then we are accused of having “blind hatred” of the product, not correctly the manipulation.

Sponsored

manapiko

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Remember when the consumer dictated product evolution and not the government?

I get that many folks in here are locked into a fantasy of what used to be, so little learning is done regarding social issues. Maybe just try to think a tiny bit about how we're all literally a community and that we can work for a greater good. Plant trees knowing you won't see the shade........

Loccusst

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
There are too many issues that need to be addressed before EV is shoved down the publics throat. The grid is not ready for starters. The typical neighborhood cannot handle multiple houses with 1 or more electric only vehicles charging in the garage. There are still not enough charging stations to make this practical for masses of electric cars on the road.

GMONEY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2D Rubi Earl
Clubs

This would be more impactful to the climate if they *also* had a requirement that all of their dealerships be 100% powered by solar by the end of the decade. Panel the roof, all those little sunshade things, etc.
I mean dealerships are nothing but damn big parking lots. Covering those with canopies is a no brainer. Adding panels to a roof may or may not make sense depending on the building.

CapeArt

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Sport S, Porsche 987S, MazdaSpeed Miata

TexasRay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys XR Gobi - Ordered 5/15...
Market forces are no longer allowed to prevail. They are manipulated by every possible means. Then we are accused of having “blind hatred” of the product, not correctly the manipulation.
Agreed. If BEV were actually viable, the government would not have to mandate that they be the only option...the market would dictate that.

Personally, I would like to see more development around fuel cell tech.. Still requires a battery, but much smaller and has the ability to swap fuel cells similar to just gassing up. Only byproduct is H2O.

Also, as someone who has taken multiple road trips of over 3500 miles over a week's vacation, and looks forward to doing more of those, I need a vehicle that I can drive 700-800 miles in a day to maximize my time in the places I want to be. Right now, that is not doable in anything but ICE.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. If BEV were actually viable, the government would not have to mandate that they be the only option...the market would dictate that.

Personally, I would like to see more development around fuel cell tech.. Still requires a battery, but much smaller and has the ability to swap fuel cells similar to just gassing up. Only byproduct is H2O.

Also, as someone who has taken multiple road trips of over 3500 miles over a week's vacation, and looks forward to doing more of those, I need a vehicle that I can drive 700-800 miles in a day to maximize my time in the places I want to be. Right now, that is not doable in anything but ICE.
Yep— I made daily road trips of ~4-600 miles a day for 44 years, carried 200 gal of diesel. Log hours are strictly enforced, computerized now so you can’t even use a little “creative writing” to get the job done. Now they want electric big rigs :CWL: !!! Sure— you’ve got several spare hours to spend charging, at the right time and in the right place! If you’re load is heavy enough you have to plan ahead to hit the scales with a partial load of fuel to be legal, throw batteries away?? Could work on dedicated runs and short haul ONLY!! Oh—the genius of it all!!

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
I get that many folks in here are locked into a fantasy of what used to be, so little learning is done regarding social issues. Maybe just try to think a tiny bit about how we're all literally a community and that we can work for a greater good. Plant trees knowing you won't see the shade........
The fantasy is BEV. A vehicle and "social issues" have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Unlike gasoline engines, whose components last forever....
No. But I can repair or replace pretty much anything that degrades or fails with a quick trip to the parts store and be back in business in less time than it takes to charge a crappy EV.
Sponsored