donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You must be way cuter than your girlfriend to a discount like that. šŸ˜
Reminds me of when I took my girlfriend to a Quicklube for an oil change (not my choice). The tech insisted that other fluids needed changing "because of color", etc. Of course it was a scam. Told them to change the oil only, and that I would inspect their work. They did a good job, well, at least no bolts were missing.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Reminds me of when I took my girlfriend to a Quicklube for an oil change (not my choice). The tech insisted that other fluids needed changing "because of color", etc. Of course it was a scam. Told them to change the oil only, and that I would inspect their work. They did a good job, well, at least no bolts were missing.
A scam? Thatā€™s a bit ridiculous. Itā€™s a ā€œscamā€ if they bring out a fluid sample that isnā€™t from your car, then pretend to service it and charge you. Thatā€™s a scam. Recommending service based on actual condition isnā€™t a scam.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A scam? Thatā€™s a bit ridiculous. Itā€™s a ā€œscamā€ if they bring out a fluid sample that isnā€™t from your car, then pretend to service it and charge you. Thatā€™s a scam. Recommending service based on actual condition isnā€™t a scam.
Google for ā€œJiffy Lube scamā€. ;)

ABRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR
The front of your transfer case is now exposed to contamination. I would remove the yoke from the driveshaft and get it on the transfer case right now. You don't want debris getting in there. If you don't want to do that, at least wrap a clean rag around the opening.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Recently had a similar experience. Ordered tires online and the company shipped them to one of their contracted installers in my area.

The installer racked up over $800 in damage:

• Improperly mounted/balanced the tires
  • Stated one wheel was bent, so tire couldn't be balanced, due to this they put it as the spare (New Jeep 40 miles, wheel not bent)
  • Improperly installed the rings on the XR wheels blocking valves
  • Stripped 25 bolts on wheels
  • Damaged a rock ring
  • Failed to install backup camera cover
I contacted the online tire company. They attempted to drag it out but I was very firm. I went to a second shop to have the damaged assessed and repaired. I also went to a dealership who provided an estimate for the new parts required, and damage done.

I provided the tire company with pictures of all damage and improper installation, the inspection reports, bill, and estimates. Again they attempted to drag it out. I continued to be persistent and firm. After 2 weeks, I sent a final message restating the issues, the time frame, and that if a resolution was not presented in 5 business days that I would take legal action. I was contacted the next day and issued a refund in the amount of what was stipulated by the evaluating shop and dealership.

Hate that it had to be drawn out and legal action nearly taken, however a brand new vehicle was damaged and they dragged their feet.

I'm thankful that it was eventually resolved.

Sponsored

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
I remember the one and only time my mother went to a Jiffy Lube with her prized '87 Celebrity Eurosport. She was very explicitly there for just an oil change, I was hanging out with her while we waited (I think I was 8-10). The tech came out to the lobby and called us back to look at the engine air filter, which he had badly torn getting it out of the housing. He starts going on about other recommended services and such. My mom listened while calmly rifling through her purse, until he finished his spiel; handed him a receipt, informed him that he had just destroyed a filter that was less than a month old, and asked if there was anything *else* they would be eating the cost on.

Watching that guy wither in front of my 5-foot tall mother as she quietly berated him in English and Yiddish is a sight Iā€™ll never forget. Iā€™m pretty sure they wound up comping the whole visit. Donā€™t fuck with tiny Eastern European ladies.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I remember the one and only time my mother went to a Jiffy Lube with her prized '87 Celebrity Eurosport. She was very explicitly there for just an oil change, I was hanging out with her while we waited (I think I was 8-10). The tech came out to the lobby and called us back to look at the engine air filter, which he had badly torn getting it out of the housing. He starts going on about other recommended services and such. My mom listened while calmly rifling through her purse, until he finished his spiel; handed him a receipt, informed him that he had just destroyed a filter that was less than a month old, and asked if there was anything *else* they would be eating the cost on.

Watching that guy wither in front of my 5-foot tall mother as she quietly berated him in English and Yiddish is a sight Iā€™ll never forget. Iā€™m pretty sure they wound up comping the whole visit. Donā€™t fuck with tiny Eastern European ladies.
Typical for some of these low priced service shops. Unskilled labor, taught to upsell unnecessary services. When it happens it is a scam. The exposƩ didn't stop it, its a crooked business model.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
@Zaiditime

Here are the instructions from MC: https://images.metalcloak.com/Metal...ic-Transmission-Installation-Instructions.pdf

Step ā€œJā€ is the stepped they missed.

As others have stated, if the claim the the driveshaft was short was true, the separation would have happened at the slip joint toward the center of the driveshaft.

The MC guys are awesome, and I have no doubt they would give you some support, especially if this is a one of their certified installers. They wonā€™t be open at 8 AM CT yet due to the time difference, if you have any pushback from the shop, Iā€™d give them a call.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
JR custom auto service in Irving.
If you need a good shop in DFW go to Lifted 4x4 off business 121. Garyā€™s the owner and my neighbor. He does all my work and will price match discounted parts. Just moved to a bigger shop so they can powder coat.

KAB96F

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon XR
Occupation
Structural Engineer
This is on your shop, if theyā€™re worth their salt they should make it right for youā€¦ā€¦
Amen! If not find another shop. Unreal šŸ™„

OP
OP
Zaiditime

Zaiditime

First Name
Ahmed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
The front of your transfer case is now exposed to contamination. I would remove the yoke from the driveshaft and get it on the transfer case right now. You don't want debris getting in there. If you don't want to do that, at least wrap a clean rag around the opening.
Iā€™ll tow it to the shop tomorrow, will it be visible if debris is on there or will the transfer case need to be take apart?

Thank you for pointing this out !

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Iā€™ll tow it to the shop tomorrow, will it be visible if debris is on there or will the transfer case need to be take apart?

Thank you for pointing this out !
Thereā€™s only an o ring there anyway. Iā€™m sure you are fine, but you could ask them to check level and top off.