Missing ESS Battery……. WTH??????

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
I wouldn’t mess around with E torque under warranty! We’re not talking about a conventional system here. Plus you’re under warranty. Once you start doing O’Reilly auto zone stuff the dealer will freak out and could possibly void your warranty. E torque is no joke. There’s a generator, cooling systems and a expensive 48V battery Involved.
Nothing wrong with load testing the 12 volt starting battery as the OP says he intends to do. If the 12 volt battery is bad then replacing it is fine (even though it may still be under warranty). Sometimes your time is worth more than the pain it takes to use the dealer, particularly if it's the daily driver and you can't get dealer service for two weeks or more.

The 12 volt and 48 volt systems are entirely separate on the E-torque. If it's a cold start problem on an E-torque, it's a 12 volt battery problem. If it's an ESS problem then it's time to look at the 48 volt and time to take it to the dealer for warranty. Which is 8 years / 80k miles on the 48 volt battery system.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hava-Jeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Huntington Beach, CA / Lake Havasu City, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon,
Occupation
Retired
More on this, please. Missing 48v battery, empty cradle ?
The cost to replace this, outside of Warranty, is high. You have a Federal Emissions Warranty of 8 years,80,000 miles. Was this expense going to be on you, or Factory ?
Are 48v batteries joining Cats in theft popularity ?
It was not stolen. The Jeep is always garaged. No proper thief would reinstall the cradle. Not on the build sheet. My guess is FCA was trying different configurations as the 2.0 Turbos were being produced. I believe 2019 was the first model year for these?

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The e torque owners are going to be stuck with dealer parts and service forever! You’re never gonna be able to run down to the local AutoZone and get a proprietary Jeep 48V battery or generator. If anything it’ll be discontinued and replaced with something else that you can only get at Jeep. That’s the problem with these hybrids. It’s a in-between technology all manufacturers are doing something different.

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was not stolen. The Jeep is always garaged. No proper thief would reinstall the cradle. Not on the build sheet. My guess is FCA was trying different configurations as the 2.0 Turbos were being produced. I believe 2019 was the first model year for these?
You are not making any sense. Either your Jeep came with a 48 volt battery and needs one to operate or it never had one and will never need one. The E-torque is a system and it requires the 48 volt battery or the Jeep won't operate (at least not without error codes). If your shop told you there was no 48 volt battery and you now need one, they lied to you. The E-Torque is a complete package of 48 volt battery, generator, separate cooling system and controls. It's either there and complete or it's not there at all. Please share your build sheet info...

Sponsored

Hava-Jeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Huntington Beach, CA / Lake Havasu City, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon,
Occupation
Retired
If the 48 volt battery was missing, your 2.0 E-torque would never have operated from the factory. Something is massively BS about this post. If you really bought a new 48 volt battery, you got taken to the cleaners big time. 48 volt battery is $1200 and no way it was missing.
I didn’t buy one. Replaced the main only. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Perhaps the shop mistakenly looked for the small AUX battery up front? It is a Jeep only shop.
Jeep Wrangler JL Missing ESS Battery……. WTH?????? F49F5D68-E40F-4C94-8F62-EC660AAB6CA8
Jeep Wrangler JL Missing ESS Battery……. WTH?????? 994798F8-6F76-4087-81C6-27E1D75FA1A5

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Hava-Jeep Okay that makes more sense, but your previous post you stated:

" Upon arrival to the shop, the owner told me he had already ordered the 48v battery and the main battery to be delivered that morning. He called me when it was ready, telling me he dropped the box for the 48v battery and it was empty"

That is simply not possible, your build sheet shows an 2.0 E-torque and there was for sure a 48 volt battery there when it left the factory. I suspect the shop meant there was no aux battery present, which is exactly correct. The E-torque does not have an aux battery. I think they got aux (which is 12 volt) and 48 volt confused when they explained it to you.

Nicely equipped Jeep BTW, love the color.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Every JL with a v6 or a 2.0t has 2 batteries when it leaves the factory period. Either engine can be etorque depending on model year. If it's etorque it absolutely will not function without the 48v battery as there is no 12v alternator. The bsg (belt start generator) charges the 48v battery and the 48v battery charges the 12v via a DC to DC converter. Every non-etorque JL has ESS and the primary and aux 12v batteries charged via a traditional alternator. The auxiliary battery can be deleted from the system via a simple jumper wire at the main fuse panel which is what I would do if I owned a non-etorque JL. Our 2019 2.0t was etorque and so is our 2022 XR 3.6L, so no aux battery for me. As far as the fear of the etorque being some magical proprietary invention, they are already available aftermarket. It's just a lithium ion battery not a wizard hiding under that skid plate. Not to mention you'll be hard pressed to get them to warranty the 12v battery after a year regardless of mileage and the 48v battery comes with an 8 year/80k mile warranty. I've found aftermarket replacements between $500-700, sounds expensive until you buy 3 of each of the 2 12v batteries in your non-etorque rig before the warranty is up my 48v scary wizard magic battery.

OP
OP

KHR Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Wrangler
Nothing wrong with load testing the 12 volt starting battery as the OP says he intends to do. If the 12 volt battery is bad then replacing it is fine (even though it may still be under warranty). Sometimes your time is worth more than the pain it takes to use the dealer, particularly if it's the daily driver and you can't get dealer service for two weeks or more.

The 12 volt and 48 volt systems are entirely separate on the E-torque. If it's a cold start problem on an E-torque, it's a 12 volt battery problem. If it's an ESS problem then it's time to look at the 48 volt and time to take it to the dealer for warranty. Which is 8 years / 80k miles on the 48 volt battery system.
Thank you…. Well put.

OP
OP

KHR Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Wrangler
UPDATE…………….. took the 12 V battery to AutoZone and O’Reilly’s for a load test today. Both said the battery is good under load but both also stated that it was only around 45 to 48 percentage charged up which makes no sense. Do not have time to play the dealer games unless it’s something more important. Called up the local dealer yesterday and they said they are a week and a half out for an appointment. Charging up factory 12 V battery with a brand new battery charger that I just purchased and ordered an odyssey battery to replace it for a step one in my predicament. We will see what happens. I would very much like to say a big thank you to the folks that educated me about the E torque situation in our Jeep. THANK YOU again!!!!!!

Sponsored

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds good, keep us posted...

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
BUT THERE IS NO 2nd Battery!!!! What is going on????
Is it possible that someone completely removed it?
Have you considered that you are better off without it?
Mine has been completely disconnected (but still in place under there) for almost 2 years with no problems.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Is it possible that someone completely removed it?
Have you considered that you are better off without it?
Mine has been completely disconnected (but still in place under there) for almost 2 years with no problems.
His jeep has etorque which means it never had an aux battery. There's no chance that am etorque jeep runs without the 48v battery. The entire electrical system would need rebuilt. There is no alternator or 12v charging system on an etorque vehicle. The charging system and the hybrid motor are one and the same. The belt start generator helps out the gas engine on take offs and starts the engine during normal electric start/stop situations like traffic lights. When the vehicle is in motion it generates 48v to charge the battery as needed. The 12v battery is charged by the 48v battery. Pull the 48v battery and there is no charging system for the 12v battery.

OP
OP

KHR Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Wrangler
Every JL with a v6 or a 2.0t has 2 batteries when it leaves the factory period. Either engine can be etorque depending on model year. If it's etorque it absolutely will not function without the 48v battery as there is no 12v alternator. The bsg (belt start generator) charges the 48v battery and the 48v battery charges the 12v via a DC to DC converter. Every non-etorque JL has ESS and the primary and aux 12v batteries charged via a traditional alternator. The auxiliary battery can be deleted from the system via a simple jumper wire at the main fuse panel which is what I would do if I owned a non-etorque JL. Our 2019 2.0t was etorque and so is our 2022 XR 3.6L, so no aux battery for me. As far as the fear of the etorque being some magical proprietary invention, they are already available aftermarket. It's just a lithium ion battery not a wizard hiding under that skid plate. Not to mention you'll be hard pressed to get them to warranty the 12v battery after a year regardless of mileage and the 48v battery comes with an 8 year/80k mile warranty. I've found aftermarket replacements between $500-700, sounds expensive until you buy 3 of each of the 2 12v batteries in your non-etorque rig before the warranty is up my 48v scary wizard magic battery.
Well written, and very understandable, thank you.