TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
The differences between the different type of differential are so misunderstood it's incredible. There is no situation in which you will ever find yourself in, on any trail anywhere, where a locker will get you through and an LSD will not. I'm not saying a locker isn't a better tool for off-roading, but it's not going to be the difference between getting through and not getting through.

Guys out here acting like lockers save lives. LOL...even the plain 'ole BLD on the base sports will make it through...yeah it'll take more work, but you aren't going to be stuck.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
The differences between the different type of differential are so misunderstood it's incredible. There is no situation in which you will ever find yourself in, on any trail anywhere, where a locker will get you through and an LSD will not. I'm not saying a locker isn't a better tool for off-roading, but it's not going to be the difference between getting through and not getting through.

Guys out here acting like lockers save lives. LOL...even the plain 'ole BLD on the base sports will make it through...yeah it'll take more work, but you aren't going to be stuck.
That might be true in mud but on rocks it's a different story. I've seen far too many jeeps get stuck need winched or attempt to get momentum to carry them through and bashing away on the rocks.

libis22

First Name
Libin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Daytona 675R, Willys sport XR
Occupation
Electronics engineer building software

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport

Umm, no. I've been trailriding high level/difficult areas since the late-90's (my current dedicated off-road rig has 40's, 1 ton axles w/ lockers...and also gets trailered). I have been on many trails where there is no way a vehicle with open diffs or only a factory LSD in the rear would make it. I've also spent a lot of time towing and winching rigs like this through trails. I started off-roading with open diffs and through the years have had several vehciels with factory LSD's, had aftermarket LDS's in vehicles (more aggressive than most factory units), etc... I've ran the same trail and the same obstacles with a rig that went from aftermarket LSD rear to a locker rear. There are places that I tried several times but couldn't get through with the LSD, and then could walk right through it after installing a true locker. To be perfectly blunt, anybody who makes the comment about lockers not making a difference in any situation has never been on a truly difficult or technical trail.

Now with that said, I'm not saying you have to have lockers to go off-road and to run all trails. You can have a lot of fun and go a lot of places without them. Again, I'm talking about high level/high difficult level trails which is a relatively low percentage of them. Whenever I talk to somebody new to the sport I always tell them they don't "need" 37's and dual lockers to have a lot of fun, and you can find a lot of trails you can run. Just don't come to Windrock or Harlan (Black Mountain) and try to run the extreme difficult and double black diamond trails with the factory LSD in your vehicle.........

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
To be perfectly blunt, anybody who makes the comment about lockers not making a difference in any situation has never been on a truly difficult or technical trail.
Well it's good I didn't say that then. I dunno if you were inferring that I did, but if you were, please go back and re-read what I said.

Also I want to make something very clear - I DID NOT mention an "open diff" in my comment. Don't mistake the BLD system for an open diff, cause it's not the same. But I promise you - anything you can get through with lockers, I can get through with LSD or BLD. It will almost definitely take me longer, but I will get through it.

Sponsored

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Well it's good I didn't say that then. I dunno if you were inferring that I did, but if you were, please go back and re-read what I said.

Also I want to make something very clear - I DID NOT mention an "open diff" in my comment. Don't mistake the BLD system for an open diff, cause it's not the same. But I promise you - anything you can get through with lockers, I can get through with LSD or BLD. It will almost definitely take me longer, but I will get through it.
It's simply quite obvious that somebody who has this thought about lockers versus factory LSD, or even brake based traction control, either doesn't run truly difficult level trails or maybe has never driven a vehicle with lockers. In the hardcore off-road world making that comment is almost as bad as insisting that the earth is flat.....
In your personal experience I don't doubt that maybe you have gone everywhere another rig with lockers has gone. But all that means is that the trail or obstacles were not at the limit of where the rig with lockers could go....and of course it could just be that the driver in the other rig wasn't very good either!

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I had Eaton e lockers installed on my JK, did a regear at the time to save money. About $2k an axle. The lockers were fantastic, and I liked that since it was aftermarket, there were no nanny controls. Flip the switch and it would engage, no questions asked. My current Rubi lockers require 4 low and other conditions to be met.

Also, since aftermarket are so easy to engage whenever you want, I recommend an actual toggle switch, not a push button. The push button like what comes on the rubi would be too easy to accidentally push and engage, and you may not notice. A toggle switch, somewhere out of the way of normal vehicle operations, would be my recommendation. I like high up on the dash.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
My current Rubi lockers require 4 low and other conditions to be met.
Not sure if Tazer does the same, but I have a Superchips TD3 and it allows me to lock the diffs even in 2Hi. A nice to have option. I thought with the newer models, looks like you have a 22, off-road+ enabled lockers in 4Hi.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Not sure if Tazer does the same, but I have a Superchips TD3 and it allows me to lock the diffs even in 2Hi. A nice to have option. I thought with the newer models, looks like you have a 22, off-road+ enabled lockers in 4Hi.
My only complaint with Off-road+ is I can't stand how it adjusts the throttle and shift points. Not that I don't like that it does it at all... I just think it does a crappy job. I get it's supposed to be better for off-roading, but I don't need to spend an entire trail at 3K RPMs.... so i never use it. IMO the best control is to just do manual mode and shift yourself. I feel like off-road+ is meant for dunes.

EDIT: Correct that a Tazer would help engage the lockers, but that's another $300 expense to add. Granted, it's on my amazon list right now lol.

EDIT EDIT: I should also add, off-road+ only allows use of rear locker in 4HI, and the rubi in general requires rear locker to be engaged before front locker. I'd like them to be more independent, as they'd be with aftermarket. I THINK a Tazer would do that too?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Found a 23 Willys XR unlimited for sale that I'm considering. How hard is it to add lockers to this? Can the Rubi locker switch be purchased seperately and added so it looks clean instead of switches mounted somewhere else? Or are there switches that mount in the stock locker location? And what lockers do you recommend - Eaton?
I currently have and have had Rubicons and I do use the lockers crawling on rocks. I go on trails that if you don't have lockers you probably are going to need winched. I've seen too many people struggle and bash their Jeeps on rocks trying to get through things with open diffs.
I didn't see anyone answer the question.

Lasfit makes two switch banks, a locker specific replacement for the Rubi side, and a version of the factory Aux Switchs from the tow package:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Willy XR how hard to lockers? 1668176894267

By far the biggest complaint I have with the factory lockers is that they don't immediately disconnect when demanded, on the slick rock out west, it makes it impossible to steer after climbing an obstacle you need lockers on. Although it does always seem to unlock itself after it's not an issue anymore.

ARB air lockers seem to be the gold standard in the industry.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm pretty sure the OEM locker switches go through the CANBUS and you won't be wiring up aftermarket lockers like that.

Get an aftermarket switch panel if you want to fill the spot with something to use. Edit: exactly what I was thinking posted above by @GATORB8

Personally, I would just get the trailer package so I have aux switches and would wire the lockers to that.
Another option would be air lockers as well.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I'm pretty sure the OEM locker switches go through the CANBUS and you won't be wiring up aftermarket lockers like that.

Get an aftermarket switch panel if you want to fill the spot with something to use. Edit: exactly what I was thinking posted above by @GATORB8

Personally, I would just get the trailer package so I have aux switches and would wire the lockers to that.
Another option would be air lockers as well.
I believe you are correct, even just the aux switches do as well.

Does lead to another option, the factory aux switches (or the mopar add on set) could be used as well. Would eat up either two or three of the available switches though, not leaving a lot of room for light bars.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I believe you are correct, even just the aux switches do as well.

Does lead to another option, the factory aux switches (or the mopar add on set) could be used as well. Would eat up either two or three of the available switches though, not leaving a lot of room for light bars.
Ya but the aux switches have actual leads from relays that you can use for switching. I wouldn't want to try and trace what wires are tied into CANBUS from OEM locker switches when there are so many easier ways to go.
Lots of guys have bought the Mopar harness and hooked up to aux switches to get around the locker sensor failure issue. It is super easy.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Ya but the aux switches have actual leads from relays that you can use for switching. I wouldn't want to try and trace what wires are tied into CANBUS from OEM locker switches when there are so many easier ways to go.
Lots of guys have bought the Mopar harness and hooked up to aux switches to get around the locker sensor failure issue. It is super easy.
Agreed, even worse, if you were able to figure out all the controls and wiring, the computer would then have control over your locker selection and expect locker activation signals.
Sponsored