Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
I just installed the Rock Slide Engineering 3rd Gen steps and they are dope!

It took me the better part of an afternoon to install but I'm a novice...
Congrats… nice job. Only two things I don't care for with these; 1) they don’t operate when doors are off and 2) the price - but that goes for everything I want to add to my Jeep!
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

1st time wrangler rubicon owner here. Finding the right side step/rock rail is hard. This stuff is expensive!
The RSE sliders are stupidity expensive, but they work extremely well for anyone that is trying to get into my Jeep.

hybrid_eg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'90 S13, 22 MS Plaid, '23 JLUR 4xe
any opinions on Rough Country retractable steps? They seem most affordable, still 1K+

Not going off-roading with these so i'm curious if anyone had any issues using them?

Thank you!

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Awhile back, I saw a video on utube which a guy was personalizing his 392. One option he added was an electric step, not an entire rocker panel, but just a step which came out below the factory rock guard. Has anyone seen this? I cannot find the video again.

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Awhile back, I saw a video on utube which a guy was personalizing his 392. One option he added was an electric step, not an entire rocker panel, but just a step which came out below the factory rock guard. Has anyone seen this? I cannot find the video again.
Interested...

I have RockHard step/sliders and I'm lifting and going to 37s. I'm going to need some type of step for daily driving not just for my wife, but likely myself as well. So, I've been planning on making some bolt-on steps that I can take off for the trails.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
for a rock rail/slider, i liked Artec the best.
solidly mounted, designed to be rubbed against things and maintainable. (note: i did not want a ‘step’.)

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? 1667748563105

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have these on my 2014 GMC. They are now in need of some type of maintenance/repair. I've sent at least 3 messages to them on their web contact portal. crickets.

They are probably the best of this type of step on the market. But they are pissing me off with no customer service. Note: I don't think these are a step I'd use on a jeep taken on the rock trails.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Interested...

I have RockHard step/sliders and I'm lifting and going to 37s. I'm going to need some type of step for daily driving not just for my wife, but likely myself as well. So, I've been planning on making some bolt-on steps that I can take off for the trails.
These particular steps retracted to underneath the body so were not obtrusive.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
I have these on my 2014 GMC. They are now in need of some type of maintenance/repair. I've sent at least 3 messages to them on their web contact portal. crickets.

They are probably the best of this type of step on the market. But they are pissing me off with no customer service. Note: I don't think these are a step I'd use on a jeep taken on the rock trails.
That is an issue, I already have the rock rails, all I want is a small step to execute below the rail when the door is opened. These had a deactivation switch as well, so you could not use them if desired. With them retracted, nothing was visible.

Sponsored

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Was considering powered steps for my Jl Willys. After reading countless nightmare stories about them, I decided it wasn't worth the VERY high cost of these. Besides, there are very limited options for 2drs.
Full disclosure, I had a pair of Amp Research retractable steps on my 2016 Ram 1500, and they were awesome!
Went with these Destroyer slider/steps from LOD. They're frame mounted, easy to install, and I'm really impressed with their quality!

20221019_141654.jpg

20221019_141725.jpg

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Interested...

Have you considered Rock Slide Engineering? They're not cheap, but you get extremely well-made sliders with a retracting step that you don't need to remove when rock crawling.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Have you considered Rock Slide Engineering? They're not cheap, but you get extremely well-made sliders with a retracting step that you don't need to remove when rock crawling.
Yes. Looked at them. With the slider protectors, they are 300lbs. They are cool though. Just don't fit my criteria.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
I'm not seeing much that I like. In 2013 I purchased and old diesel motorhome which had been sitting on the dealer lot for a couple of years due to some issues. So I bought it, took it home and began a minor rebuild. One item requiring repair was the retractable entrance step. It operates from a small, reliable motor, tucked up under the body and a couple of steps connected by hinges which lower the two steps while swinging them out from under the body. This is what the steps I saw in the youtube video were like, and were mounted on a new 392. I wish I could find the damn thing again..

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I was running the Ace Engineering steps for a short time, great because you can still run the factory rock rail. Love how they protected the side of the Jeep and gave you a stable standing location too Moved to Rock sliders when the 392 XR came in with 37`s on it
going to list the Ace sliders and factory rails soon on the classified
Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? 1667838598053
Sponsored