Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Yeah, tha
That 'JEEP' makes our Wranglers look o'bese. Which they are.
Lean, my 1950 cj3a 2,200 curb weight 'JEEP'
cj3a topless.jpeg

obese, my 2019 JLR @ over 4,400 lbs.
JL w new shoes 2.jpg
That old CJ IS a Jeepđź‘Ť

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
Take it from someone who has owned 7 Wranglers and as many CJ’s, the old Jeeps don’t hold a candle to these new ones. Sure they’re different and look cool, but my god do they suck at everything except being small. Don’t think for a second that they are more durable or more reliable either. My old Jeeps need CONSTANT maintenance….I wouldn’t drive one more than 30 miles for any reason. I’m honestly to the point I’ve just sold off all of my old CJ’s and am sticking with the new JL, peeling paint issues and all….they are that much better.

Jeep Wrangler JL New jeep next to old jeep 8ABCB649-E5BF-4DAC-9605-9ECCCD219204

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Jeeps: they have certainly gotten bigger.

You have to ask where the limit is for a Jeep. In my opinion, the JL is at perfect max size to retain what I consider to be a core element of "Jeep-ness". Slightly more compact-ish in size so that it is still capable of running down tight rocky and wooded trails and roads.

In contrast, Ford has clearly decided that vehicles in this class should be even bigger. Case in point is their First Edition Raptor Sasquatch Bronco. At this size these start to look plain absurd (this applies not just to the actual size of the vehicle itself but also the name).
Isn’t the 4d bronco shorter than a JLU by like 2.5 inches?

Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Isn’t the 4d bronco shorter than a JLU by like 2.5 inches?
OK... the non Braptor bronco is almost 12 inches wider than a Wrangler JL. The JL is already almost 6 inches wider than a TJ.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
OK... the non Braptor bronco is almost 12 inches wider than a Wrangler JL. The JL is already almost 6 inches wider than a TJ.
Width is probably more important than length when it comes to trails. The Broncos take more along the lines of a desert runner it seems.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Width is probably more important than length when it comes to trails. The Broncos take more along the lines of a desert runner it seems.
To be clear, I personally think that the Braptor is pretty cool; much better than the regular sad Bronco because Ford Engineers have apparently found a way to prevent the Braptor steering from failing when making off-road turns. The point is that the Bronco and especially Braptor is nonetheless obesely large (and looks it) when compared to WranglersTJs/CJs.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Take it from someone who has owned 7 Wranglers and as many CJ’s, the old Jeeps don’t hold a candle to these new ones. Sure they’re different and look cool, but my god do they suck at everything except being small.

8ABCB649-E5BF-4DAC-9605-9ECCCD219204.jpeg
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah, we tend to have selective memory when it comes to vehicles in our past.

I never owned a CJ. But I remember carburetors, drum brakes and leaf springs...

No, thank you!

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
To be clear, I personally think that the Braptor is pretty cool; much better than the regular sad Bronco because Ford Engineers have apparently found a way to prevent the Braptor steering from failing when making off-road turns. The point is that the Bronco and especially Braptor is nonetheless obesely large (and looks it) when compared to WranglersTJs/CJs.
Oh definitely. The width thing was intended as a crass joke. My dad often times complains about how wide my 2 door JL is. It’s easy to forget how much narrower off roaders used to be. I had a 69 bronco with 31s on it and it was so small by comparison. I’ve pulled up to TJs in parking lots and it’s hard to believe they’re the same vehicle.
Sponsored