Sponsored

Can you use 33 tire as a spare, while driving on 35s?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
There's a BIG difference between "can" and "should".

CAN you use a 33" tire as a spare with 35s? Sure.

SHOULD you use a 33" tire as a spare with 35s? No.
Agree- his question was “Can” , l only have a smaller spare on my PU due to size constraints.
Sponsored

Reactions: DMT

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
As long as the mismatched tire circumference is not on the main drive axle, it technically can be done. Although, this is only a temporary solution to get oneself to a tire ship asap. If the flat is on the rear axle, replace it with one of the fronts, and put the oddball up there.

white walker1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I ain't got 35s yet. Wearing out 33s now.
Still have 33 new one spare. Was lazy to include it into rotation earlier .
Always rotate your full size spare. Well you can do what you want obviously but but what tires cost now it doesn't make sense to me when ppl don't. I run MT and do a five tire rotation every 2500 at least.

Sponsored

white walker1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As I see it, the summary for responses to the question: Can I use a smaller spare?
No: No way, and it's not worth the savings.
Yes: As long as you use common sense.

My opinion and preference are also "yes, as longs as you use common sense." I'm currently carrying the OEM 33" spare while rolling on 37s. After the tire expires (~10 years), I'll plan to purchase a dedicated 35x10.0 spare. My reasons are not so much for saving money, but to limit weight and obstruction to visibility. In the unlikely event of having a tire puncture, I plan on using a tire patch, even on a sidewall, to get me home. I have already done this, I do know the associated dangers, and I do it using applicable precautions. If the tire damage doesn't allow a tire patch, the mini-spare will get me to the tire shop.
Is it ten years now. Used to be five years from the born on date (manufactured date) . And I believe if your jeep isn't garage kept the wear from weather conditions will shorten that life span of your spare that just getting pounded on by the sun.
So if the spare tire isn't rotated onto the axle should one rotate it on the tire carrier to prevent shorten life? - Sarcasm 😁

OP
OP
DMT

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Trailhawk '14 , JURD'21, JL'23
Is it ten years now. Used to be five years from the born on date (manufactured date) . And I believe if your jeep isn't garage kept the wear from weather conditions will shorten that life span of your spare that just getting pounded on by the sun.
So if the spare tire isn't rotated onto the axle should one rotate it on the tire carrier to prevent shorten life? - Sarcasm 😁
It's stored on my porch of of our condo apt

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I don't agree with this "always rotate your spare" sentiment. I suppose if you use your spare somewhat regularly, then perhaps this makes sense. But I haven't needed a spare tire in 25 years, so for me it makes a helluva lot more sense to treat the spare as an accessory and just leave it. Save $300+ not having to buy 5 mega-expensive tires every 40k miles and make rotations a lot easier too.

I will always carry a spare because I know the moment I stop, i'll need it. But my suggestion is to buy four new tires, and pick up a matching used spare on ebay...even if it's patched...doesn't matter, it's a spare. I paid $280ea on sale for my Ridge Grapplers and picked up a spare on ebay for $100.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Is your goal to buy 4 x 35’s and save $300 keeping the spare 33? I would think the $300 is small potatoes considering the possibilities of what could go wrong having a wrong size spare tire…..

E14D8693-BDF6-4190-A90C-F4605800D663.jpeg
Please describe "what could go wrong", my spider gears want to know? Virtually every new car comes with a donut spare that is more than 2" smaller than the other tires. The reason they suggest you limit speed to 55mph and drive less than 100 miles is the cheap disposable tire not the difference in size. Your tires will have a bigger variation in rpms from each other driving on a windy road than they will running a slightly smaller tire, your spider gears don't care. That's the whole point of a differential. No locker, no limited slip, you could drive cross country with 1 33" tire no problem. If you're extra paranoid, put it on the front. Thanks to the FAD, there's 0 connection between the front 2 tires, and the passenger side isn't even connected to the drivetrain in 2wd.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I don't agree with this "always rotate your spare" sentiment. I suppose if you use your spare somewhat regularly, then perhaps this makes sense. But I haven't needed a spare tire in 25 years, so for me it makes a helluva lot more sense to treat the spare as an accessory and just leave it. Save $300+ not having to buy 5 mega-expensive tires every 40k miles and make rotations a lot easier too.

I will always carry a spare because I know the moment I stop, i'll need it. But my suggestion is to buy four new tires, and pick up a matching used spare on ebay...even if it's patched...doesn't matter, it's a spare. I paid $280ea on sale for my Ridge Grapplers and picked up a spare on ebay for $100.
You aren't factoring in the fact that a 5 tire rotation should result in 20% more life out of a "set" of tires. An extra $300 48k miles vs saving the $300 but buying needing tires at 40k miles kind of makes it a wash in my opinion. There's no right or wrong way, but an argument can be made for both sides of the equation.

Sponsored

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I had 37's on my Power Wagon and a 33 inch spare and had to use it. The blowout was on the front left. I drove freeway speeds on the 33 for over 100 miles to the next Discount store. I saw no ill effect from doing that. Just be cautious that the braking may pull a little if you have to stop hard.

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Please describe "what could go wrong", my spider gears want to know? Virtually every new car comes with a donut spare that is more than 2" smaller than the other tires. The reason they suggest you limit speed to 55mph and drive less than 100 miles is the cheap disposable tire not the difference in size. Your tires will have a bigger variation in rpms from each other driving on a windy road than they will running a slightly smaller tire, your spider gears don't care. That's the whole point of a differential. No locker, no limited slip, you could drive cross country with 1 33" tire no problem. If you're extra paranoid, put it on the front. Thanks to the FAD, there's 0 connection between the front 2 tires, and the passenger side isn't even connected to the drivetrain in 2wd.
As you said in another post, there can be arguments for both sides. I’m not discounting what you said at all. But for someone asking a forum if they will be okay with a smaller spare already shows inexperience and it does steer and brake differently when not riding on 4 equal size tires.

just like an oil change thread that everyone was arguing about - I would never advise someone to not get an oil change, just because they think it will last much longer than anticipated past the recommended change date. Just as I would never advise someone not carry a full size spare. A 35 spare will not make visibility much worse than it already was with a 33. If it’s a C rated, you don’t even need to add reinforcement, D or E, possibly. Even if you do not use it until you need to buy new tires again, heck, then you’ll only need to buy 3 new tires next time!

I will also take a permanent (to an extent lol) fix over a temporary fix any day of the week.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Buy the tires you can afford and get 5 matching. Looks tacky having unmatched tires. Also different sizes on a solid axle is a bad idea.

Last edited:

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Can you use 33 spate tire while having 3 other tires 35?
I suppose it can work temporarily while on trail, but would be risky driving on highway for extended period of time.
Yes/no/maybe?
Thanks
X 2 you answered your own question...

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
You aren't factoring in the fact that a 5 tire rotation should result in 20% more life out of a "set" of tires. An extra $300 48k miles vs saving the $300 but buying needing tires at 40k miles kind of makes it a wash in my opinion. There's no right or wrong way, but an argument can be made for both sides of the equation.
I'd rather pay $1200 for a new set of tires than $1500, that extra 8k in mileage means little to me. That's why I said "for me" in my post, I know different people are going to look at that decision and prefer a different method. But as you probably noticed, 40k is a low estimate of life for the category of tires we use...we should be getting closer to 60k. Thing is, I don't keep my truck tires until they are dead...they're just too dang loud, and they get very slippery in the rain. I replace them generally around the 40k mark and then sell off the old ones as spares on ebay or facebook to recoup some of my money. I also have to get one less tire mounted and balanced, and have to worry about re-balancing one less tire when that time inevitably comes. This method works best for me, but it's certainly not for everyone. I just wanted to point out that the 5-tire rotation is not a rule or even a best practice...it's just one way to do things.
Sponsored