Sponsored

Can you use 33 tire as a spare, while driving on 35s?

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
No problem, a full size spare is completely unnecessary. Put the matching tires on the rear. Put the spare on the front. Leave the front differential open if you have a locker and drive like normal. You can drive it home. Drive it to the tire shop. No problem.
How many times do you actually see a used spare tire? They’re all brand new, very few people get flat tires under normal use.
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Can you use 33 spate tire while having 3 other tires 35?
I suppose it can work temporarily while on trail, but would be risky driving on highway for extended period of time.
Yes/no/maybe?
Thanks
To get in to town? Absolutely. To go cross country... no.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Just because you “can” does not mean you “should”. What happens when you are on the road a long way from home and lose a tire. You”can” limp for a while, but you and the Jeep will be a lot happier with same sized tires. If you can’t afford all five, then either (1) buy a less expensive set of tires or (2) find a used tire the same size as you new ones. You can thank me later.

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Well, you absolutely ruined my idea to save a buck 😆 đŸ€Ł 😂
Thank you
You want to save a buck? Sell one of other JLs! hahaha You'll save a TON of bucks and be able to then pimp one out nice with Ludacris!

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
It would be cool if a tire manufacturer produced lightweight tires in popular diameters for spare use. Can be thinner, I wouldn’t care. Imagine a 37” spare that weighs under 60 lbs. Just install an inexpensive tire relation kit and not have to worry about tailgate reinforcement or the damn hinges. Yeah, you would only do 4 tire rotations but a lighter weight spare without the other tailgate mods would be brilliant! Would be a nice option to have for sure. I know it wouldn’t be for everyone.

Last edited:

Sponsored

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
As I see it, the summary for responses to the question: Can I use a smaller spare?
No: No way, and it's not worth the savings.
Yes: As long as you use common sense.

My opinion and preference are also "yes, as longs as you use common sense." I'm currently carrying the OEM 33" spare while rolling on 37s. After the tire expires (~10 years), I'll plan to purchase a dedicated 35x10.0 spare. My reasons are not so much for saving money, but to limit weight and obstruction to visibility. In the unlikely event of having a tire puncture, I plan on using a tire patch, even on a sidewall, to get me home. I have already done this, I do know the associated dangers, and I do it using applicable precautions. If the tire damage doesn't allow a tire patch, the mini-spare will get me to the tire shop.

Reactions: DMT

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Hi,

As long as you don't have a locker or limited slip or using your electric lockers it should be fine short term.

If you have a limited slip in the rear swap a front tire to the rear And put the smaller on the front as the different tire size will burn up the clutches/cones in certain style limited slip differentials.

Regards,
Jim
^^^^^ This— PU tires are too big for spare spot, has worked for 27 years with no ill effect. But do get repair ASAP. Edit— 4 flats in 27 years with two front to rear extra PITA, no big deal.

Last edited:

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Use it like a donut but go slow and get your 35 fixed ASAP. Emergency use only. But get a 35 for your spare and do a 5 tire rotation.
I don’t think so, I believe donuts are only used in FWD vehicles and explicitly state they can only go on the back because of steering. If your rear wheels are also providing power a donut will not work safely

GMONEY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2D Rubi Earl
Clubs

I don’t think so, I believe donuts are only used in FWD vehicles and explicitly state they can only go on the back because of steering. If your rear wheels are also providing power a donut will not work safely
That's fair.

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
As I see it, the summary for responses to the question: Can I use a smaller spare?
No: No way, and it's not worth the savings.
Yes: As long as you use common sense.

My opinion and preference are also "yes, as longs as you use common sense." I'm currently carrying the OEM 33" spare while rolling on 37s. After the tire expires (~10 years), I'll plan to purchase a dedicated 35x10.0 spare. My reasons are not so much for saving money, but to limit weight and obstruction to visibility. In the unlikely event of having a tire puncture, I plan on using a tire patch, even on a sidewall, to get me home. I have already done this, I do know the associated dangers, and I do it using applicable precautions. If the tire damage doesn't allow a tire patch, the mini-spare will get me to the tire shop.
If you are just going to patch it, why not just run with the flat butt naked? You can always get a full size spare for when you do actually take it off-road.

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
It would be cool if a tire manufacturer produced lightweight tires in popular diameters for spare use. Can be thinner, I wouldn’t care. Imagine a 37” spare that weighs under 60 lbs. Just install an inexpensive tire relation kit and not have to worry about tailgate reinforcement or the damn hinges. Yeah, you would only do 4 tire rotations but a lighter weight spare without the other tailgate mods would be brilliant! Would be a nice option to have for sure. I know it wouldn’t be for everyone.
1604373326340.jpeg

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
If you are just going to patch it, why not just run with the flat butt naked? You can always get a full size spare for when you do actually take it off-road.
There are cases where "the tire damage doesn't allow a tire patch," such as damage to the bead, wheel, or the sidewall tear is so severe that even wire patches will not hold air. In this case, only a replacement wheel & tire will work. Typically, I've wheeled with "naked' folks who count on using some else's spare or having some else go pick up their spare at camp.

Edit: Removed my hurt feelings remarks.

Last edited:

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I'm sure this is supposed to be a smarty a$$ reply, butt I'll address it anyway. There are cases where "the tire damage doesn't allow a tire patch," such as damage to the bead, wheel, or the sidewall tear is so severe that even wire patches will not hold air. In this case, only a replacement wheel & tire will work. Typically, I've wheeled with "naked' folks who count on using some else's spare or having some else go pick up their spare at camp.

And as for the snide remark for taking it off-road, I'd wager that 30-years of pushing vehicle limits throughout North and Central America probably counts. I can say definitely that on our trails we learned not to paint our beadlock rings a pretty orange because they don't last.
Not snarky at all - I only meant when you’re in a situation where you know a spare might be handy aka off-road.

they also make interior spare tire carriers that can hold up to a 37. I know a patch can’t fix everything, I was just suggesting running the rear naked because you seem to be confident that you’ll hardly ever need a full size spare with your patching skills, common sense and experience.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

There's a BIG difference between "can" and "should".

CAN you use a 33" tire as a spare with 35s? Sure.

SHOULD you use a 33" tire as a spare with 35s? No.
Sponsored