First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Astronaut
Stellantis is offering buyouts to many of it’s 13,000 salaried employees in the U.S. to “assist with its pivot to electric vehicles”.

It’s hard to imagine what the Jeep world will look like in ten years after all of the “pivoting” is done to accommodate the push to electric vehicles, but I hope to finish my life while enjoying Jeeps internal combustion engines.

It’s also hard to imagine how all this will work in huge states with electric grids that are already substantially inadequate, but I’m preparing for another reduction in service and quality of life, with an accompanying surge in all related costs. That’s how we roll these days.
Living in Michigan, I have relatives, friends, and clients who are and/or have been employed by the automotive industry. Early retirement packages have always been a tool for manufacturers to manage their overhead cost. Most of these "buyouts" are quite generous. Some of the people I know that have accepted the deal have gone on to work for other companies since being 50 to 55 years old they weren't ready for full time retirement and offers from new employers often exceed their prior compensation package. Engineers are in high demand. A good friend who was a fuel systems engineer for Chrysler, accepted an early retirement package in 2018, and immediately went to work for Harley Davidson engineering there e-motorcycle. My cousin is now employed by Oshkosh Corporation working on the Oshkosh L-ATV. He is making more and has better benefits than when he worked for Ford. Others have went to work for various companies such as Tesla, Polaris, Bombardier, etc.

Automotive companies would like nothing better than to shift vehicle emissions outside of their company's releasing them from CAFE penalties and potential future carbon emissions tax. They will spend billions developing and marketing bev's as profits are predicted to be substantial.
Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
For all the doomsayers, I'll remind you that you're typing your messages on a computer that, once-upon-a-time, was roughly the size of your living room and a thousandth the power. Then, the idea that everyone could afford, let alone have room for a personal computer was absolutely inconceivable... yet here we are.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
For all the doomsayers, I'll remind you that you're typing your messages on a computer that, once-upon-a-time, was roughly the size of your living room and a thousandth the power. Then, the idea that everyone could afford, let alone have room for a personal computer was absolutely inconceivable... yet here we are.
YEP, and Gates's MOM and DAD who are Corporate lawyers did the deal with IBM for the software OS that Billy boy bought for $500. IBM thought they might sell 25,000 MAX desktop computers and the rest is history...how to become one of the worlds richest men by pure accident!

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I am ready from their playbook... "100% EV by 2035". They are FORCING this on the car industry. Your gas burner is going to be worth NOTHING.

Me, LOL, I will not likely be alive, if I am, I won't give a flying.

So if you are a GREENIE, you are still driving a PETRO CAR, when are the people going to get it. EV is a phoney solution, the E in EV has to be generated and right now its 80% Petro/Nuke. Why not lfip it get generation on a 100% (reliable) non-Petro grid then phase in EV...
Because We Want It, and We Want It NOW!! We Dont Need No Stinkin Transition Period!! Regardless Of the Consequences NOW!!

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We are— but it took decades of continuing advances in technology to get us here. Plus we weren’t pressured, forced or subsidized by taxpayers to get our first one ~35 years ago. Battery and charging tech needs a next generation advance before I would be interested. Although I have read about battery prototypes that could accomplish it— In Time.

Sponsored

Catdom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
There is no better example of government getting involved in our transporation decisions than their support of Big Oil. Over the years, how much money and how many American lives have been expended protecting Big Oil's PRIVATE interests in fossil fuels in the Mid-East. Not to mention tacitly turning a blind eye to human rights violations and chopped-up journalists.

The support for EVs absolutely pales in comparision.

BTW: I'm not an EV supporter by any means, but I have eyes.
What was ME oil a barrel 3 years ago? What was our ME oil imports 3 years ago? Hint it rhymes with Hess than hen percent. Do some research before posting. Funny you never addressed my fact that our government didn't legislate horse and buggies out of business. Nice goalpost move.

Catdom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
For all you history deniers, the federal government has never intervened to legislate living room sized computers out of existence. Market, demand and advances did that not the government. Simple question. If this technology has so much promise then why is the government involved???? They didn't do it with smaller computers or the automobile. Please no lobbyist deflections.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
For all you history deniers, the federal government has never intervened to legislate living room sized computers out of existence. Market, demand and advances did that not the government. Simple question. If this technology has so much promise then why is the government involved???? They didn't do it with smaller computers or the automobile. Please no lobbyist deflections.
My post had nothing to do with government, unless you're just wanting to shut down the thread... it had to do with progress for those who say change is impossible.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What was ME oil a barrel 3 years ago? What was our ME oil imports 3 years ago? Hint it rhymes with Hess than hen percent. Do some research before posting. Funny you never addressed my fact that our government didn't legislate horse and buggies out of business. Nice goalpost move.
Hmmm- perhaps energy policies?? Ya Think?? The production or transport of hay wasn’t restricted , no ban on the sales of horses by a certain date, or subsidizing the purchase of horseless carriages either.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
REALITY

Cost to upgrade the NATION WIDE GRID: Cost $1-$3 TRILLION

US Military converting to all Electric: Cost $50-$100 BILLION

Problem: as of today, there are at least 285 MILLION cars operating and registered in the US. To replace that requires an upheaval of our entire country, from replacment wha to do with 285 Million cars = almost 1 BILLION tons of scrap, and what landfill are we going to put that in?

Cost to relace at an average of $50,000 per electric car $1.3 Billion in NEW money as your used Belchfire V6 Jeep must be turned in for scrap, you will cost of metal at about 2 cent per lb since everyone is turning them in.

Anyone seen any problems in this???

Here is MY take: You will get my Jeep Rubicon at the same time you stop by the ranch to pick up my guns...from my COLD DEAD HANDS. Hope to see you SOON!
From your Cold Dead Hands? “Your Proposal Is Accepted” — Current Administration.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Market forces are no longer allowed to prevail if they impede the “objective” and are manipulated by every possible means to achieve the “objective”

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no better example of government getting involved in our transporation decisions than their support of Big Oil. Over the years, how much money and how many American lives have been expended protecting Big Oil's PRIVATE interests in fossil fuels in the Mid-East. Not to mention tacitly turning a blind eye to human rights violations and chopped-up journalists.

The support for EVs absolutely pales in comparision.

BTW: I'm not an EV supporter by any means, but I have eyes.
About 50 years ago (USAF) there was a different reason to waste lives, ~20 years earlier more lives, etc. Decades of wasted lives in the ME, for what? Less than 3 years ago we were energy independent and a net exporter for the first time in decades. We have the capability, yet spend lives on foreign sources so we can buy from them. That said, @Catdom question was also relevant. Edit— now Europe is on the brink of exploding with the entire world likely to follow, and we are heavily participating. 🙁

Last edited:

Catdom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
My post had nothing to do with government, unless you're just wanting to shut down the thread... it had to do with progress for those who say change is
Hmmm- perhaps energy policies?? Ya Think?? The production or transport of hay wasn’t restricted , no ban on the sales of horses by a certain date, or subsidizing the purchase of horseless carriages either.
Well said. The government didn't legislate horses away nor restrict hay as they're doing with the CE automobile. It's the consumer that should create demand, not the Government, my point all along.

Last edited:

Catdom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
My post had nothing to do with government, unless you're just wanting to shut down the thread... it had to do with progress for those who say change is impossible.
Which post said "change is impossible "?
There's a difference in questioning a new technology's feasability, practicality or want and calling something impossible. There's a difference with computers getting smaller and the Government legislating out the competition.
Sponsored