Sponsored

Stellantis offering buyouts to many salaried Jeep employees

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Stellantis is offering buyouts to many of it’s 13,000 salaried employees in the U.S. to “assist with its pivot to electric vehicles”.

It’s hard to imagine what the Jeep world will look like in ten years after all of the “pivoting” is done to accommodate the push to electric vehicles, but I hope to finish my life while enjoying Jeeps internal combustion engines.

It’s also hard to imagine how all this will work in huge states with electric grids that are already substantially inadequate, but I’m preparing for another reduction in service and quality of life, with an accompanying surge in all related costs. That’s how we roll these days.
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Stellantis is offering buyouts to many of it’s 13,000 salaried employees in the U.S. to “assist with its pivot to electric vehicles”.

It’s hard to imagine what the Jeep world will look like in ten years after all of the “pivoting” is done to accommodate the push to electric vehicles, but I hope to finish my life while enjoying Jeeps internal combustion engines.

It’s also hard to imagine how all this will work in huge states with electric grids that are already substantially inadequate, but I’m preparing for another reduction in service and quality of life, with an accompanying surge in all related costs. That’s how we roll these days.
I think it's just an excuse for layoffs as the economy slows. The truth is there is not enough raw material to make all the batteries for an all electric society. And the grid can't support them either. It's an exercise in futility, but maybe that's the point.

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
This is pretty normal for the auto industry. It's a transition move. I went to school for car design, most of my studio in school ended up in Detroit. When we hit the carpocalypse in 2008 and we all graduated we had no jobs and as a cost savings they were offering major incentives to life long employees to retire, which is how many of us entered the job market, we were cheaper. The regular raises and bonuses are huge for salary workers at the big 3, and getting them to retire and take their pensions was a major release of funds to redistribute to maintain and build their more cost effective work force. It's a lot easier/cheaper to get a 20/30 something to work 60hrs a week, than someone in their 50/60s with a family.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x

Grid Problems??—Ca. and we haven’t had a blackout since Monday!! Expensive large off grid capable solar installed three weeks ago,except for ONE PART they say they can’t get yet 😖. Because Pacific Graft & Extortion (PG&E) can’t reliably keep the power on Now!! In related news— ICE cars scheduled to be Banned , and now add natural gas home and water heaters! BRILLIANT GENIUS!! :clap:

Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
This, coming at a time when the rest of the world is just starting to figure out that there literally isn't enough square footage on the face of the Earth to accommodate all the windmills and solar panels necessary to generate the power required to serve the world's population.

Yellow4xe

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
High Velocity Yellow 2023 Rubicon 4xe

I don’t see that the electrical grids will have much issue, IF utilities and regulators price energy when the grid has availability. For my utility, PG&E, the “cheap” time for EV rate is from midnight to 3 pm. It’s only been a week, but I have had no problem charging my 4xe each night using the standard 120V outlet. Even in the summer when we had the heatwave, the grid had lots of capacity from midnight to noon.

I copied my energy usage from Monday after my wife and I drove the Henness Pass Road on Sunday. We had <1% charge when we got home. Charging the Jeep does show up, but not that much. (The big spike is my hot tub!!! which makes the 4xe usage looks pretty small in comparison.)

@Whaler27 - Your profile says you‘re working to “Save the World”… maybe you should look into a 4xe? ;)

D92DE4F4-AACE-4F2E-BF35-9A15D44E1FF6.png

sherpaJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito! ~ 2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
This, coming at a time when the rest of the world is just starting to figure out that there literally isn't enough square footage on the face of the Earth to accommodate all the windmills and solar panels necessary to generate the power required to serve the world's population.
not to worry, we have a solution for this, Covid-23

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
It's a lot easier/cheaper to get a 20/30 something to work 60hrs a week, than someone in their 50/60s with a family.
^^^^^ this NOT in 2022 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Most places that plan to have a consistent and reliable workforce are keeping most of the older employees cause even know it’s not cost effective they show up to work!!

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I don’t see that the electrical grids will have much issue, IF utilities and regulators price energy when the grid has availability. For my utility, PG&E, the “cheap” time for EV rate is from midnight to 3 pm. It’s only been a week, but I have had no problem charging my 4xe each night using the standard 120V outlet. Even in the summer when we had the heatwave, the grid had lots of capacity from midnight to noon.

I copied my energy usage from Monday after my wife and I drove the Henness Pass Road on Sunday. We had <1% charge when we got home. Charging the Jeep does show up, but not that much. (The big spike is my hot tub!!! which makes the 4xe usage looks pretty small in comparison.)

@Whaler27 - Your profile says you‘re working to “Save the World”… maybe you should look into a 4xe? ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Stellantis offering buyouts to many salaried Jeep employees D92DE4F4-AACE-4F2E-BF35-9A15D44E1FF6
The environmental trades involved in committing to an all electric fleet are impossible for me to fully discuss on this forum without risk of banishment, so I’ll say only this: I have yet to see a truly net-environmentally-friendly electric vehicle, because mining and processing the materials needed for the batteries is damaging, as are the most-used technologies for power production. Then there’s the matter of disposal of the batteries and solar panel components.... Ironically, the most environmentally friendly power production technology that can actually meet the demand is nuclear, which is why it’s so popular in other parts of the world, but I live in an area the Birkenstock Bolsheviks have declared a “nuke-free zone”, so we’ll be filling the landfills with discarded Prius parts, ruining salmon runs with hydro-turbines, killing migratory birds with wind farms, cluttering formerly green agricultural land with solar panels, and burning fossil fuels to generate power for our electric fleet.

For now, I’m doing my part to save the world by driving vehicles powered by gas and diesel engines. ;)

Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I'm fine with an electric Jeep that has a solid-state battery and 500 miles of range.

Problem is, this technology doesn't exist yet. I live in a pretty rural area and an EV is a total no-go for our family, as the technology stands now. I figure it'll get there, but this push to transition seems about 10 years premature to me.

Yellow4xe

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
High Velocity Yellow 2023 Rubicon 4xe
The environmental trades involved in committing to an all electric fleet are impossible for me to fully discuss on this forum without risk of banishment, so I’ll say only this: I have yet to see a truly net-environmentally-friendly electric vehicle, because mining and processing the materials needed for the batteries is damaging, as are the most-used technologies for power production. Then there’s the matter of disposal of the batteries and solar panel components.... Ironically, the most environmentally friendly power production technology that can actually meet the demand is nuclear, which is why it’s so popular in other parts of the world, but I live in an area the Birkenstock Bolsheviks have declared a “nuke-free zone”, so we’ll be filling the landfills with discarded Prius parts, ruining salmon runs with hydro-turbines, killing migratory birds with wind farms, cluttering formerly green agricultural land with solar panels, and burning fossil fuels to generate power for our electric fleet.
I share some of your concerns. I’m also concerned about catastrophic oil spills, methane emissions, and other issues related to petroleum production. All processes to extract and produce energy have consequences. But debating those issues are for another forum.

Back to the thread topic… Stellantis offering buyouts:

Based on my experience with the 4xe, I’m not surprised the focus is shifting to EVs. While I‘ve had it for only a short time, I’m really impressed! The charging is simple and I estimate running on partially on electricity saves me about 40% on my fuel costs. My 4xe is by far the fastest, most powerful vehicle I have owned. If you’re shopping for a Jeep, I’d recommend considering one.

Stellantis/Jeep and the other auto manufacturers are all focusing their research and development on EVs as they are the future of transportation. Also, a press release that says, “sharpen focus on new technologies and low-emissions vehicles” sounds much better than, ”we have too many older and expensive managers, accountants, and engineers so we’re trying to reduce costs…“
Sponsored