Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
  • Banned
In trying to install a reinforcement clip to forestall the apparently notorious sun visor support arm breaking, I found something else that I see as a potential problem down the road.

While the visor support arm on my new Jeep is not broken (yet), when trying to install the Auxito reinforcement clip, I noticed that the base of the sun visor is itself very loose, and wobbles very noticeably, in a front-to-back direction. I tried tightening the two screws on either side of the visor support arm, but they were in fact very tight already. So I'm just wondering if this is 'normal' on JLs, or not, as I could easily see the entire visor mount coming loose or breaking before very long, as much as I use the sun visor.

Circled in red is the loose/wobbly part that I am referring to:

Jeep Wrangler JL A different sun visor problem, or potential problem -- base is loose / wobbly sun-visor-mount
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chugiakguy

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
  • Banned
My 2023 is the same way. That whole piece moves even with the visor clips.
OK, thanks Booker, I'm glad to at least find out that I am not the only one with this!

It just seems like a failure waiting to happen. Incredibly sloppy engineering.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm...I haven’t noticed anything wrong with my visors. Like nothing at all.

Perhaps I should go give them a good yank...?

Now, the rear seat release latch (in the four-door): that’s a cheap piece of plastic just waiting to break.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OK, thanks Booker, I'm glad to at least find out that I am not the only one with this!

It just seems like a failure waiting to happen. Incredibly sloppy engineering.
22's and 23's per reports from a couple of owner's of same here and a few owner's on other forum's, all mention this movement... movement, that is not seen in earlier JL's and JT's.

I have read no one posting issues lets say with that movement or that they or the dealer had a remedy for that movement.

The bracket that your knock off visor clip is bolstering, is the same bracket found on 2022 and 2023's is the same as is on the earlier model year JL and JT's.

If I remember correctly a forum member here, actually hit the visor so hard doing something, that he broke the visor off at (that moveable section) and did not break the bracket that you and I and other's are bolstering with the a visor clip.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chugiakguy

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
  • Banned
I have read no one posting issues lets say with that movement or that they or the dealer had a remedy for that movement.
I have not read of any such problems with the sun visor mount/bracket either, Rhinebeck --- yet. Probably not enough time has passed yet for any potential problem with it to have manifested itself, if it's only occurring on 2022s and 2023s.

But with that much movement in a mounting piece that obviously should NOT be moving, I can just see it failing not too far down the road (never mind the visor support arm itself!).

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
In trying to install a reinforcement clip to forestall the apparently notorious sun visor support arm breaking, I found something else that I see as a potential problem down the road.

While the visor support arm on my new Jeep is not broken (yet), when trying to install the Auxito reinforcement clip, I noticed that the base of the sun visor is itself very loose, and wobbles very noticeably, in a front-to-back direction. I tried tightening the two screws on either side of the visor support arm, but they were in fact very tight already. So I'm just wondering if this is 'normal' on JLs, or not, as I could easily see the entire visor mount coming loose or breaking before very long, as much as I use the sun visor.

Jeep Wrangler JL A different sun visor problem, or potential problem -- base is loose / wobbly sun-visor-mount
My '20 wasn't like that but my '22 is. The '20 never broke without the add on clips, but I installed the add on clips on my '22 just in case. But they don't address this issue.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

They just don’t build them like they used to, way back in 2018……..😎

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not read of any such problems with the sun visor mount/bracket either, Rhinebeck --- yet. Probably not enough time has passed yet for any potential problem with it to have manifested itself, if it's only occurring on 2022s and 2023s.

But with that much movement in a mounting piece that obviously should NOT be moving, I can just see it failing not too far down the road (never mind the visor support arm itself!).
I added to my earlier post as you were replying to it.. Re-read my last post.

I would not belabor/or stress out over that visor(s)... Just add it to the other things to be very very careful with in regard to your JL. Take care with seat movement on your 2 dr., the visors...

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm...I haven’t noticed anything wrong with my visors. Like nothing at all.

Perhaps I should go give them a good yank...?

Now, the rear seat release latch (in the four-door): that’s a cheap piece of plastic just waiting to break.
Agreed, but I have noticed if I rock the seatback, back and forth once before pulling up on the latch, it seems to release the tension from the clasp, then the release pulls up effortlessly and without added tension that could lead to breakage.

Sponsored

Lucky #7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6-spd Manual
I JUST had my driver's side visor replaced under warranty last week (I have a 2021 JLUR with 30K miles). I didn't have any problem prior to it's failure. Dealer had the visor in stock. Quick fix.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I JUST had my driver's side visor replaced under warranty last week (I have a 2021 JLUR with 30K miles). I didn't have any problem prior to it's failure. Dealer had the visor in stock. Quick fix.
@Lucky #7

Consider buying and installing visor clips.

You broke the visor once, you will undoubtedly break it again..

Sure you can keep getting them replaced while your JL is under warranty.... but ..

Lucky #7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6-spd Manual
@Lucky #7

Consider buying and installing visor clips.

You broke the visor once, you will undoubtedly break it again..

Sure you can keep getting them replaced while your JL is under warranty.... but ..
Where do I find these visor clips? Also, what failure point are you looking to avoid with the clip? My visor failure was from the post that nearly dropped out of the hole. I could jam it back in if the other side was clipped in place. Once I turned it down, it flopped out again.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
My Jeep is the second convertable I've owned and everytime I put a visor down I feel like an idiot. 😂
Sponsored