Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
... well sort of.

The other weekend she gets home from a trip to the mountains with her daughters. The first words out of her mouth weren't "Hi" or "Hello" they were "I'm not driving this Jeep anymore until you lift it!!! I looked like a sissy in the mountains with all those lifted Jeeps!"
Well I must say on the inside I was quite the proud husband, "What a cool wife" I thought. But what came out of my mouth was "Good grief woman, I'm going to get to it soon!"

I bought a Rubicon suspension which I knew would lift the Sahara a little bit but that ain't gonna cut it now. I said how about a 2.5" Rough Country body lift so you can keep your same comfort of the Sahara suspension but will get a solid 2 - 2.5" of lift. She said that's what she wants. Since this is her daily commuter and we off road a little bit this was the best of both worlds. OK problem solved, now to find the time among all the other projects.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
... well sort of.

The other weekend she gets home from a trip to the mountains with her daughters. The first words out of her mouth weren't "Hi" or "Hello" they were "I'm not driving this Jeep anymore until you lift it!!! I looked like a sissy in the mountains with all those lifted Jeeps!"
Well I must say on the inside I was quite the proud husband, "What a cool wife" I thought. But what came out of my mouth was "Good grief woman, I'm going to get to it soon!"

I bought a Rubicon suspension which I knew would lift the Sahara a little bit but that ain't gonna cut it now. I said how about a 2.5" Rough Country body lift so you can keep your same comfort of the Sahara suspension but will get a solid 2 - 2.5" of lift. She said that's what she wants. Since this is her daily commuter and we off road a little bit this was the best of both worlds. OK problem solved, now to find the time among all the other projects.
Where in the mountains did she go? I'm planning a trip soon (my last plans got rained out).

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Where in the mountains did she go? I'm planning a trip soon (my last plans got rained out).
They went just outside Blowing Rock. Our Favorite is Boone but the whole area is great. Linville is also cool with a ton of waterfalls. Do some research before you go to find the good spots. I HIGHLY recommend going to Julian Price Park. It's mile marker 297 on the Blue Ridge Parkway and its near Blowing Rock. If you go walk the trail CLOCKWISE even though it gives you the impression, and most people do, walk it counter clockwise. It is a gorgeous 5 miles hike where you will see forest, a meadow, a mountain stream, a bunch of small waterfalls/cascades on the stream and more. You will hike a path that at some points that goes over large rock formations and uses a ladder to navigate one spot.
Take a lunch and enjoy the sites.
If you go to the Asheville/Waynesville/Maggie Valley area be sure to check out Graveyard Fields at mile marker 418. It has a mountain stream which has a 75 foot cascade down granite rocks and a pool at the bottom you can jump in at the lower falls. The upper falls are cool but not quite as dramatic.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You click-baiter, you ;)
I'm shooting to make the weekly highlight email... lol. The last email about my wife made it in ;)

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
When I go on a 'trip to the mountains', I generally would rather not sacrifice lateral grip (on-road) and stability (off-road) in exchange for better approach/departure angles+articulation (effectively all a lift buys you).

But at least your wife admits it's purely about vanity, not function. Who knew 'mountain' people could be so judgmental about other folks' rides?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
They went just outside Blowing Rock. Our Favorite is Boone but the whole area is great. Linville is also cool with a ton of waterfalls. Do some research before you go to find the good spots. I HIGHLY recommend going to Julian Price Park. It's mile marker 297 on the Blue Ridge Parkway and its near Blowing Rock. If you go walk the trail CLOCKWISE even though it gives you the impression, and most people do, walk it counter clockwise. It is a gorgeous 5 miles hike where you will see forest, a meadow, a mountain stream, a bunch of small waterfalls/cascades on the stream and more. You will hike a path that at some points that goes over large rock formations and uses a ladder to navigate one spot.
Take a lunch and enjoy the sites.
If you go to the Asheville/Waynesville/Maggie Valley area be sure to check out Graveyard Fields at mile marker 418. It has a mountain stream which has a 75 foot cascade down granite rocks and a pool at the bottom you can jump in at the lower falls. The upper falls are cool but not quite as dramatic.
Thanks! I know that area real well. Try to get up there for day hikes or overnight hikes every month from March - October. I spent a day at Julian Price last year and it was great.

Do you know of any trails up there? Sorry to take this off-topic but I am trying to figure out what there is up there that I would need a lift for!

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
... well sort of.

Shaddupahyouface...all of my complaints that start with "My wife won't" and end in "anymore" have nothing to do with Jeeps.:(:mad:

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I know that area real well. Try to get up there for day hikes or overnight hikes every month from March - October. I spent a day at Julian Price last year and it was great.

Do you know of any trails up there? Sorry to take this off-topic but I am trying to figure out what there is up there that I would need a lift for!
PM'd you.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When I go on a 'trip to the mountains', I generally would rather not sacrifice lateral grip (on-road) and stability (off-road) in exchange for better approach/departure angles+articulation (effectively all a lift buys you).

But at least your wife admits it's purely about vanity, not function. Who knew 'mountain' people could be so judgmental about other folks' rides?
Allow me to clarify, it's not just about vanity, a lift does help off road. If it didn't then why are all the guys who seriously off road using one? Without that lift you can't articulate as much, can't run bigger tires for more ground clearance and can't go as many places on a trail. There is a balancing act between the lift and everyday driver and that's what I'm trying to achieve.

Mountain people are not judgemental, they are some of the most down to earth people you will meet. My wife really liked the look of their Jeeps so in essence she was jealous.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Allow me to clarify, it's not just about vanity, a lift does help off road. If it didn't then why are all the guys who seriously off road using one? Without that lift you can't articulate as much, can't run bigger tires for more ground clearance and can't go as many places on a trail. There is a balancing act between the lift and everyday driver and that's what I'm trying to achieve.

Mountain people are not judgemental, they are some of the most down to earth people you will meet. My wife really liked the look of their Jeeps so in essence she was jealous.
I was just giving you a hard time. A Wrangler is a totally irrational purchase for anyone, so once you cross over into that realm of irrationality, anything else you do to the vehicle requires no rationalization.

But a lift isn't all sunshine and rainbows (even off-road); it introduces serious compromises both on- and off-road. I would generally find myself more worried about rollover than articulation or approach/departure angles on the trails I'd most frequently traverse, so a lift would hurt me more than it helped.