Sponsored

Floor lights ambient lighting - Color Mods

JeepDad33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I decided to start a new thread on this topic that I had been having some discussion about under the "turn on floor lights" thread.

For those of you who weren't following that thread, a quick recap. I have a local shop that specializes in instrument cluster repair and also caters to customization of the LED's in said panels. We were discussing if it would be possible to / and how to change the color of the ambient lighting in the floor foot wells.

I had time to swing by his shop today to do some initial investigative work.

Findings: The floorboard lighting is contained in a little module that contains a larger LED that illuminates white with door open, as well as a secondary smaller LED that illuminates at night (engine running, headlights on) as an ambient lighting for the floorboards. The brightness of the ambient lighting is controlled by the second dimmer dial on the dash next to the headlight switch (the dimmer on the left).

Both of these LED's are soldered to the mini circuit board contained inside the module. He swapped out the smaller ambient light in mine to a red one to see if it would work, how bright it was, etc. So for the current time being, I have a red ambient lighting in my drivers side floor board. I can't wait for it to get dark and see how bright it is at night.

I've included some images of said lighting module and him working on it.

I mentioned this was the initial investigative work. Our initial goal was that we could sell a plug-n-play kit in a variety of colors for anyone who wanted to mod the color of the floorboard lighting. Since this is more of a sophisticated module that requires soldering tiny LED's to a circuit board, that scenario isn't as feasible for the every day jeeper.

So... He's going to do some digging and see if this lighting module is available for purchase from Jeep. If so he's looking to get a few to mod on an order-by-order basis and offer them with a core for your existing module. I.e. he mails you the modded modules in the color of your choice, you unplug your light module, plug his in, then mail your factory white one back to him.

I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.

Lighting Module:
20180504_123034.jpg

Lighting Module Disassembled:
20180504_123040.jpg

Circuit Board inside module with the LEDs:
20180504_123005.jpg

Swapping my LED for trial:
20180504_122915.jpg

Ambient LED installed with RED LED.
20180504_131419.jpg
Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! How hard is it to remove the module? That red should look good at night.

OP
OP
JeepDad33

JeepDad33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Nice! How hard is it to remove the module? That red should look good at night.
Piece of cake. A quick release plug and a christmas tree post securing it under the dash. Unplug and pull it out and bam.

Tragdor

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Following this thread!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
So I wonder when someone will make these available

Sponsored

dajuicejml

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU

JBall

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi/Billet Silver
Great idea. Where did you pick up the film?
I just picked up a roll at O'Reilly's...think they will have this at all/most auto parts stores. Can't wait to get my Jeep to try out this hack. Thanks for the awesome idea Manus!

Sponsored

ManLovesRobot

First Name
Manus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Wow great idea. Couple concerns: how hot does the LED get? Also, we all know that tape fades but who cares it will last years but I wonder if heat will perpetuate the process.
No the LEDs do not get hot. This was taillight film so it's meant to be in the sun and I pretty confident it can handle heat.

JBall

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi/Billet Silver
I decided to start a new thread on this topic that I had been having some discussion about under the "turn on floor lights" thread.

For those of you who weren't following that thread, a quick recap. I have a local shop that specializes in instrument cluster repair and also caters to customization of the LED's in said panels. We were discussing if it would be possible to / and how to change the color of the ambient lighting in the floor foot wells.

I had time to swing by his shop today to do some initial investigative work.

Findings: The floorboard lighting is contained in a little module that contains a larger LED that illuminates white with door open, as well as a secondary smaller LED that illuminates at night (engine running, headlights on) as an ambient lighting for the floorboards. The brightness of the ambient lighting is controlled by the second dimmer dial on the dash next to the headlight switch (the dimmer on the left).

Both of these LED's are soldered to the mini circuit board contained inside the module. He swapped out the smaller ambient light in mine to a red one to see if it would work, how bright it was, etc. So for the current time being, I have a red ambient lighting in my drivers side floor board. I can't wait for it to get dark and see how bright it is at night.

I've included some images of said lighting module and him working on it.

I mentioned this was the initial investigative work. Our initial goal was that we could sell a plug-n-play kit in a variety of colors for anyone who wanted to mod the color of the floorboard lighting. Since this is more of a sophisticated module that requires soldering tiny LED's to a circuit board, that scenario isn't as feasible for the every day jeeper.

So... He's going to do some digging and see if this lighting module is available for purchase from Jeep. If so he's looking to get a few to mod on an order-by-order basis and offer them with a core for your existing module. I.e. he mails you the modded modules in the color of your choice, you unplug your light module, plug his in, then mail your factory white one back to him.

I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.

Lighting Module:
20180504_123034.jpg

Lighting Module Disassembled:
20180504_123040.jpg

Circuit Board inside module with the LEDs:
20180504_123005.jpg

Swapping my LED for trial:
20180504_122915.jpg

Ambient LED installed with RED LED.
20180504_131419.jpg
Hey JeepDad! Any progress on finding out if your guy can purchase the module to do the mods? I'm using lens film for now, which works okay-just hoping for a more permanent fix, especailly if the lights can be brighter. Let us know!

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
I wish there was an easy way to make the dome interior light brighter.
Sponsored