DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
2 door definitely crests hilltops better and maneuvers in tight areas better. 4 door keeps wheels on the ground better. Lighter weight of 2 door is advantageous, too, as less tractive power is required to get it unstuck. Tradeoffs.
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
2 door definitely crests hilltops better and maneuvers in tight areas better. 4 door keeps wheels on the ground better. Lighter weight of 2 door is advantageous, too, as less tractive power is required to get it unstuck. Tradeoffs.
Again, agree 100%!

See a common denominator in these accidents?

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The added 4dr length and wider track will also be better for faster movement over soft-road terrain where the 2dr has always been squirrelly and the JKU, just ‘capable’. Which is precisely the kind of 80km/50mph terrain a lot of people drive to get deep into the boonies to their cottages.

I will particularly enjoy that feature when visiting a friend whose cottage is only accessible by driving half way around the lake on dirt & gravel roads, when following him at a far enough to avoid thrown stones , it sometimes hard to keep up with his plain jane urban F-150.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Just guessing here but they likely made a trade-off of slightly decreased trail capability for slightly improved road handling/performance. They probably could've kept the wheelbase the same while lengthening the body (for whatever reasons - 8sp trans, more passenger/cargo room, whatever) but that would've involved a trade-off in either approach or more likely, departure, angle(s). The JKU/JLU already doesn't boast the best breakover angle I think (Tacoma or 4Runner beats it), so they probably decided to stick to laying claim to best approach/departure angles. I know this could easily turn into a slippery slope argument, but I honestly don't think the average wheeler would notice the difference off-road between 116 and 118 wheelbases.

Main "main" trail rig is an XJ, and overall length it's similar to my JKURHR, but it has a wheelbase over a foot shorter. For the trails that I run at least, which are often heavily wooded with tight turns, I honestly haven't noticed a YUGE difference between wheeling my XJ and my JKUR as far as maneuverability goes. I have a Detroit in the back of my XJ though, which probably isn't helping matters, haha. I definitely DO notice the breakover angle though, but a lot of that is due the low slung midship gas tank, and I notice the difference in the rear overhang as well.

edit: I'm hoping that that 3.8" of additional overall length translates to a bit more rear passenger and cargo room, both of which have been common complaints with the JKU.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
https://www.extremeterrain.com/two-door-vs-four-door-jeeps.html

Two-Door vs. Four-Door JK Wranglers
One of the biggest debates when discussing Jeep Wranglers is whether the two-door model is better than the 4-door or vice versa. In this article will take an unbiased factual approach at the comparison of each model in real world scenarios.

Dimension Differences
Although mechanically both Jeep versions are almost identical, structurally they are considerably different. The 4-door model has about a twenty inch longer wheelbase. Pushing the frame out allows the rear passengers to sit before the rear axle and wheel hump.

• 4-door rear seats folded down: 70.6 cu. Ft. / folded up: 31.5 cu.ft.
  • 2-door rear seats folded down: 56.5 cu.ft. / folded up: 12.8 cu. ft.
Dimensionally, both Jeeps have identical height and width. However, the 4-door weighs about 200lbs more than the 2-door version (Rubicon Automatic 4-door = 4,340 lbs / 2-door = 4,129). As a result, the suspension is slightly different, utilizing a higher rate spring on the 4-door to compensate for the extra weight. Other than that the Jeeps are structurally very similar, but the extra length and additional weight on the 4-door plays a significant role.

Turning Diameter
One of the main deciding factors when considering the differences between a four or two door model is the off-road performance. There are several significant differences to consider.

The 2-door’s shorter wheelbase allows it to have a shorter turning diameter of only 34.6 ft. curb to curb compared to the 4-door’s 40.8 ft. curb to curb. That's a major advantage if you find yourself in tight trails. This means a 2-door’s tighter turning radius allows it to maneuver through sharper angles.

Break Over Angle
Another advantage the 2-door has over the 4-door due to the shorter wheelbase, is break over angle. The break over angle is the point where the Jeep is coming over a steep hill or obstacle. If the angle is to short/sharp the longer wheelbase doesn’t have enough room to breach and descend the hill without making contact in the middle. Often this causes the 4-door to actually get hung up and stuck as traction is completely lost in both the front and rear wheels.

At this point the 2-door has demonstrated it’s a better choice for off-roading, but a significant advantage the 4-door has over the 2-door is the longer wheelbase and additional weight, which provides a more stable base, allowing it to go up steeper hills.

Off-Road Overall
When it comes to the comparison of off-road performance it’s really a question on the type of terrain you plan on tackling. For tighter, rockier, and more challenging terrain the 2-door is more capable. If you plan on doing more of an overland type of off-roading with steeper and more open terrain, the 4-door is a better option.

On-Road Performance & Comfort
Up until this point it would seem the 2-door is a better option, but considering the majority of the time most Jeep owners are on flat asphalt. On-road performance capability is an important factor, and that’s where the 4-door shines. The longer and heavier wheelbase of the 4-door makes it more stable on the road and provides a more controlled and comfortable SUV like ride. The 2-door’s shorter wheelbase and high center of gravity has it wavering on the road at the slightest cross-breeze. However, the 2-door’s slightly lighter frame gives it slightly better gas mileage.

In terms of comfort, for four passengers there is no disputing the 4-door is better. In order to climb into the back seats on the 2-door model, the front passengers have to get out and tilt their seats forward, and then rear occupants must contort in order to get up and around the front seats. In addition, only two passengers can sit in the back. Opposed to the 4-door models, which has rear doors and allows for three adults to sit in the back.

Cargo Space
Let’s face it, the 2-door’s cargo space with the rear seats up is comical; you can barely fit a gym bag. In contrast the 4-door has a legitimate amount of space, comparable to most SUVs. When the seats are folded flat the high roofline allows you to carry a significant amount of cargo in both models but more so with the 4-door.

Overall
Aesthetically speaking you can’t make the case for either model, since that's more of a subjective opinion. Whether you feel the 2-door looks better with the top down and doors off, compared to a sparser looking 4-door frame without the doors and top, that's up to personal taste.

You can argue the off-road capability based on your intended terrain, but overall the 2-door seems to have the advantage there. On-road there is no denying the 4-door handles better and is a more enjoyable ride. The 2-door handles parking lots better thanks to the tighter turning diameter, but the 4-door will allow you to bring more groceries home.

If you have a family, especially with small children, than the 4-door is a much better option. If you plan on using the Jeep as a daily commuter with occasional off-road trips to the forest or rocky hills on the weekend, the 2-door might be a better option. Whichever the case, the decision is largely based on personal needs and purpose, either way, you will be purchasing the most capable vehicle on the market.

Extreme Terrain has a tenancy to believe the 2 door better for off-roading. They end up with basically the same conclusion as me.

Sponsored

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
The JK 4 door outsells the JK 2 door, 2 to 1. A number of guys I know with JKUs advise they could not own a Jeep if the 2 door was their only option (families). Say what you want about the 4 door or for that matter other Jeeps like the Renegade (just bought my wife one), but they keep the doors open and the lights on at the Toledo JK and JL plants that allow us to drive our Wrangler of choice (and soon the JT pickup). And I could care less if there are Jeeps out there that will never see more than soft grass to drive on. The more sold, the more FCA investment, the more options eventually available, the more likely Jeep will survive (thus, giving us the JT next year). Everyone makes good points about both models, but at the end of the day it boils down to compromises consisting of finances, needs, and personal preferences. I own a TJ (2 door for you newer Jeep members) and JKU Sahara and I use them interchangeably unless I have a specific purpose in mind (I prefer the JKU in the snow here in Wisconsin and the TJ for some of the mild off-reading I do). There are certain technical points made by digitalbliss' posting that are tough to dispute, but IMHO at the end of the day you really can't go wrong with either the JK/JL or JKU/JLU.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
The JK 4 door outsells the JK 2 door, 2 to 1. A number of guys I know with JKUs advise they could not own a Jeep if the 2 door was their only option (families). Say what you want about the 4 door or for that matter other Jeeps like the Renegade (just bought my wife one), but they keep the doors open and the lights on at the Toledo JK and JL plants that allow us to drive our Wrangler of choice (and soon the JT pickup). And I could care less if there are Jeeps out there that will never see more than soft grass to drive on. The more sold, the more FCA investment, the more options eventually available, the more likely Jeep will survive (thus, giving us the JL next year). Everyone makes good points about both models, but at the end of the day it boils down to compromises consisting of finances, needs, and personal preferences. I own a TJ (2 door for you newer Jeep members) and JKU Sahara and I use them interchangeably unless I have a specific purpose in mind (I prefer the JKU in the snow here in Wisconsin and the TJ for some of the mild off-reading I do). There are certain technical points made by digitalbliss' posting that are tough to dispute, but IMHO at the end of the day you really can't go wrong with either the JK/JL or JKU/JLU.
I agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote. I have owned a 2 door jeep (cj-7) but not a 4 door. I will end up with a JLU because I have 2 little ones in car seats and the 4 doors make too much sense. I would prefer a 2 door though. That being said, I hold no animosity to either and I totally understand why the 4 door sells so much more.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So is the wider track the Rubicon model with the wider axles or the other models?

Edit: If it is the Rubicon then that might mean larger tires without needing wheel spacers.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
So is the wider track the Rubicon model with the wider axles or the other models?

Edit: If it is the Rubicon then that might mean larger tires without needing wheel spacers.
Yes, and that's exactly what this means.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So, Extreme Terrain basically said what was said over and over before. The question, though, was whether the 2 door was designed as more of a hard core off roader, and the answer was no. The 4 door was designed to be a hard core off roader from the start, same as the 2 door. Off roading was NOT an afterthought with the 4 door. That was the point.

I've owned both. Kids notwithstanding, I'd still lean toward the 4 door, all things considered, including cargo space, versatility, and range. Extreme Terrain left that part out. Even though the 2 door may have a slight mileage advantage, it has shorter range due to a smaller tank. I've done many trips in my JKU with 2 door JKs coming along, and when they are empty, I've still got a good bit of range left. It isn't a critical weakness, but neither one has HUGE advantages over the other. Only marginal, at most.

Ideally, I'd have one of each, if I could afford it. I'm lucky, though, to be keeping the old JKUR in the garage next to the JLUR.

Sponsored

GlitteryPonies

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
I can't figure out how the overall width is only .2" wider, but the track is 2.5" wider. I thought the outside walls of the tires were about the widest part of the Jeep, therefore as the track widens, so does the OAW.

Was there a lot of overhang from the jk fender flares that is reduced in the jl?

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
So, Extreme Terrain basically said what was said over and over before. The question, though, was whether the 2 door was designed as more of a hard core off roader, and the answer was no. The 4 door was designed to be a hard core off roader from the start, same as the 2 door. Off roading was NOT an afterthought with the 4 door. That was the point.

I've owned both. Kids notwithstanding, I'd still lean toward the 4 door, all things considered, including cargo space, versatility, and range. Extreme Terrain left that part out. Even though the 2 door may have a slight mileage advantage, it has shorter range due to a smaller tank. I've done many trips in my JKU with 2 door JKs coming along, and when they are empty, I've still got a good bit of range left. It isn't a critical weakness, but neither one has HUGE advantages over the other. Only marginal, at most.

Ideally, I'd have one of each, if I could afford it. I'm lucky, though, to be keeping the old JKUR in the garage next to the JLUR.
I never said off-roading was an afterthought. But I think it's clear that Jeep had to sacrifice some off-roading capabilities when designing the 4 door in favor of the extra cargo space and doors. Break over angle, maneuverability are some examples of this.

With the new JL/U, the JLU lengthened 1" more then the JL was lengthened. Why? I doubt it helps off road, and incases of break over angle hurts, but I bet it is certainly helpful with street manners and interior space. I think it's a good example at how reducing some (I know it's small) off road capabilities of the JLU relative to the JL is done (most likely) in the name of improving the non-offroading aspects.

I had no idea that expressing my opinion about how I thought the 2 door was the more hard core version would wad so many panties around here.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I never said off-roading was an afterthought. But I think it's clear that Jeep had to sacrifice some off-roading capabilities when designing the 4 door in favor of the extra cargo space and doors. Break over angle, maneuverability are some examples of this.

With the new JL/U, the JLU lengthened 1" more then the JL was lengthened. Why?
Probably to account for the 8 speed transmission.