Sponsored

Not sure where to start so I guess I'll just say... Help?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my Jeep 11 months today. I went over 20,000 miles today. I have had zero problems to date, until today. After a day of fun, my clutch appears to have issues, and it won't even turn over. Sorry for the long post, but I assume something I did today is causing, or at least contributing to my issue. Here's my day...

Today started out really fun. Went to 4-Fest MN, ran a bunch of trails. Played in the mud (pics below) and gravel pits where they had made some obstacles. Then later in the afternoon I started having some issues.

After playing in the mud we were on some other trails. I noticed the temp gauge was running warm. Until today I had never seen it go above normal. I monitored closely and it kept climbing so we got off the trail. We headed for the car wash, I was thinking maybe I got some mud in the radiator. On the way to the car wash, about six miles, the temp guage maxed out. It was maxed out for about 1.5 miles but we got to the car wash ok.

I washed the exterior spraying a lot of water into the radiator. Then I lifted the hod and there was mud everywhere, so I carefully cleaned the engine compartment careful not to directly spray electrical stuff. When I was done we headed back to 4-Fest. For the entire 6 miles the temp guage had it's normal reading. As soon as we got off the highway, driving slower through the OHV park, the temp started to climb again. Back to the car wash I went to clean the radiator from the inside.

At this point I remembered the actual coolant temp gauge. On the 6 mile trip back to the car wash it climbed to a max of 275. Hovered between 270 and 275 for the last 2 miles, but ran fine and didn't give any issues. I should make it clear that up to this point, the only problem was the overheating. Throughout all of this the Jeep ran fine with no dashlights, just the engine high temp warning anytime the coolant temp went above 255. We made it to the carwash and I cleaned the radiator from the inside this time.

Then we headed home, about 50 minutes. The whole way home I was keeping check on the coolant temp. For the most part hovered between 220 and 225. The warmest it got was 230, coolest was about 210. The fan was running as it should only turning off when it got below about 212 +/-. The temp guage never went beyond the normal reading, just under half.

On the way home I noticed the clutch got softer than normal, and it wouldn't go all the way to the floor like normal. It would stop about two inches from the floor, and would go further if I pressed really hard. Then I noticed it was getting more difficult to shift into gear. Downshifting when slowing down was a little easier, but when accelerating, 2nd through 5th were much more difficult than normal to engage.

We made it home fine, the Jeep ran great the whole way. Once home I figured I'd clean it a little better. I cleaned the under carriage. I also pulled the air filter off and moved the air intake out of the way so I could get at the radiator better to give it one final cleaning.

Once done I got into start it and put it in the garage... and nothing. All the electrical seems fine, but it doesn't even attempt to turn over. When I press the ignition button it's really kind of acting like I don't have the clutch depressed. One push to 'Acc', a second push to 'Run', third press turns it off. I have one foot on the brake, the other on the clutch as per usual, but it doesn't do anything, not even any clicks. I do notice that if I leave it in Run there is an audible highish pitched tone coming from the engine compartment. I think it's coming from the driver side back near the firewall. The tone only happens when in the ignition is in 'Run'. Doesn't do it in 'Acc'

For the night it is just sitting in the driveway. I'm hoping it will start in the morning.

Anyone have any ideas on what may be happening?
20221001_1128592.jpg
309257168_1802866440051937_8737264669698710431_n.jpg
310021086_1802858770052704_766647763446418446_n.jpg
Did you try starting it in 4L or push starting it, if it starts, then itā€™s likely the clutch interlock switch, or since it also was hard to shift, hydraulics somehow keeping you from engaging the switch, this where Iā€™d start my search for answersā€¦ā€¦.
Sponsored

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜51 M38
Someone already mentioned it, but check all your fluids. Are the fan and various pulleys clear of mud? Can you verify the belt and pulleys turning correctly?

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
Did you try starting it in 4L or push starting it, if it starts, then itā€™s likely the clutch interlock switch, or since it also was hard to shift, hydraulics somehow keeping you from engaging the switch, this where Iā€™d start my search for answersā€¦ā€¦.
I tried starting it in 4L today. I didn't even know that was possible until I read about it last night. Did the same thing as 2h. Seems like in what I read, starting in 4L without the clutch may only work if you first stall it. But I tried it anyway, didn't work.

But when I was out working on my Jeep this morning, my neighbor, a fellow Jeeper said we should try to pop the clutch, which DID WORK!!! It started and ran perfectly fine, so it doesn't appear there's any engine damage.

Also this morning I noticed this message in on the dash. This picture is taken with the clutch as far down as I could press it, which as stated in my original post it won't fully depress. It's almost as if something is blocking it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Not sure where to start so I guess I'll just say...  Help? 20221002_1909082

At this point the only thing I can think is that mud got up into the bell housing and into the clutch plates and is gunked up? I did try for several hours cleaning out the bell housing with a garden hose. At a few points some dirty water flushed out, but not a lot. Guess it's time to call the dealer. šŸ˜§

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
Anyone have any ideas
Jeep Wrangler JL Not sure where to start so I guess I'll just say...  Help? 20221002_1909082
off topic I know, but I couldnā€™t tell if the color of your Jeep was white covered in mud or Crystal Granite with some light snow on it! You must have been having a blast!

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I have taken care of the overheating problem today. I pulled out the fan and removed the grill. There was still a decent amount of mud stuck in the radiator fins even after the cleanings I gave it yesterday. When I first pulled it appart there were portions, probably up to 25% of the radiator where water would not flow through the fins at all.

I spent a few hours hosing it out. A lot of muddy water came out. When I was done with it water was flowing freely through at least 90% of it. It was flowing quite heavily through the other 10% as well, just not quite as freely.

Sponsored

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
I tried starting it in 4L today. I didn't even know that was possible until I read about it last night. Did the same thing as 2h. Seems like in what I read, starting in 4L without the clutch may only work if you first stall it. But I tried it anyway, didn't work.

But when I was out working on my Jeep this morning, my neighbor, a fellow Jeeper said we should try to pop the clutch, which DID WORK!!! It started and ran perfectly fine, so it doesn't appear there's any engine damage.

Also this morning I noticed this message in on the dash. This picture is taken with the clutch as far down as I could press it, which as stated in my original post it won't fully depress. It's almost as if something is blocking it.

At this point the only thing I can think is that mud got up into the bell housing and into the clutch plates and is gunked up? I did try for several hours cleaning out the bell housing with a garden hose. At a few points some dirty water flushed out, but not a lot. Guess it's time to call the dealer. šŸ˜§
thatā€™s encouraging news that the engine appears to be fine and running well!!

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
off topic I know, but I couldnā€™t tell if the color of your Jeep was white covered in mud or Crystal Granite with some light snow on it! You must have been having a blast!
Yup started out the day white. We absolutely were having a good 'ole time. Not so much today.

After today I'll think twice about going through mud like that again.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

this is simple. your clutch system is failing or your hydraulic clutch pressure sensor failed/ may have come unhooked. trace your clutch line down and find where the pressure transducer is and check the wire connector. pull it off and inspect for debris or water/mud in the connector. also while down looking for the connector check for a hydro. oil leak on the lines and both master and slave cylinder. The pressure transducer must make before the vehicle is allowed to start.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
A faulty clutch interlock switch was the cause of my @! ESS warning light, so if thatā€™s not on youā€™re probably good there.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
this is simple. your clutch system is failing or your hydraulic clutch pressure sensor failed/ may have come unhooked. trace your clutch line down and find where the pressure transducer is and check the wire connector. pull it off and inspect for debris or water/mud in the connector. also while down looking for the connector check for a hydro. oil leak on the lines and both master and slave cylinder. The pressure transducer must make before the vehicle is allowed to start.
the pressure switch is on the master cylinder.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

the pressure switch is on the master cylinder.
Good to know. I haven't personally put eyes on it yet as i haven't had issues. thanks!

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Based on the pictures of the Jeep it's not just from driving through mud puddles, but rather blasting through them and spraying mud and water everywhere. I know it can be fun but hitting mud at high speed and throwing up a big splash but that is what causes the type of problems you are having.
You most likely got mud and grit up in the clutch which is physically blocking it from fully disengaging. Seen it many times over my years of off-roading.

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on the pictures of the Jeep it's not just from driving through mud puddles, but rather blasting through them and spraying mud and water everywhere. I know it can be fun but hitting mud at high speed and throwing up a big splash but that is what causes the type of problems you are having.
You most likely got mud and grit up in the clutch which is physically blocking it from fully disengaging. Seen it many times over my years of off-roading.
This is what I think happened. I wasn't going super fast when I hit the mud, but fast enough to throw mud around and in the air. I'd done similar or worse over the years with a JK and an old 4-Runner, both manuals, and never had an issue. I guess now I know the dangers.

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the only option now is to get it in and have someone work on it. It's still under warranty, but what's the likelihood of this being covered under warranty if there is mud in the clutch?

If there is mud in the clutch, can it be fixed/cleaned up, or would it likely have to be replaced? I know, hard to tell without eyes on it.

Am I better off having my local shop open it up and see what's going on? He's good, and I trust him. But I would guess this would cause future warranty coverage issues if I have some sort of a problem again. If the dealer shop opens it up and see's work has been done, then they likely wouldn't cover it? Would you guys agree this is a valid concern?

Last question... how should I get it to the shop? Have them tow it? Or pop the clutch and drive it in? It does run fine, I'm just worried about doing further damage by continuing to drive it like that. The dealer I would take it to is 17 miles away.

Also, I have to assume wherever I take it they will be running a scan so I'll need to remove my JL Tazer. Should I unmarry as well>

Thoughts?

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I think the only option now is to get it in and have someone work on it. It's still under warranty, but what's the likelihood of this being covered under warranty if there is mud in the clutch?

If there is mud in the clutch, can it be fixed/cleaned up, or would it likely have to be replaced? I know, hard to tell without eyes on it.

Am I better off having my local shop open it up and see what's going on? He's good, and I trust him. But I would guess this would cause future warranty coverage issues if I have some sort of a problem again. If the dealer shop opens it up and see's work has been done, then they likely wouldn't cover it? Would you guys agree this is a valid concern?

Last question... how should I get it to the shop? Have them tow it? Or pop the clutch and drive it in? It does run fine, I'm just worried about doing further damage by continuing to drive it like that. The dealer I would take it to is 17 miles away.

Also, I have to assume wherever I take it they will be running a scan so I'll need to remove my JL Tazer. Should I unmarry as well>

Thoughts?
have you tried pushing harder?

when you do get it running, how well does it shift? No feeling of gnashing gears?

Any funny noises?
Sponsored