Sponsored

If the standard option was a fixed windshield would you pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield

If the standard option was a fixed windshield would you pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
It'll be a cold day in hell, before I ever fold down my windshield--

I wouldn't pay $10 bucks more if it was an option-

OOPS, I may have to fold it down to remedy wind noise, which wouldn't be there if the windshield wasn't hung on a sky hook !

Whatever

JIMBO
Sponsored

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
I ride motorcycles. I like wind - a lot. For the life of me, I just canā€™t imagine why I would want to drive around with the windshield down on my Jeep.

Thanks for the warning, but I knew this without even experimenting. By the way, you will really want some first rate cushioning and tie-downs for the windshield if you do this on rough roads/trails.
Obviously my warning was more intended for laughs at my own oversight than an actual psa. I'm familiar with basic aerodynamics :giggle:

If I am going to actually spend some time with the windshield down I'll probably just remove it entirely. Looks better that way and it's easier provided you have somewhere to store it.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
That come with the Jeep?
Iā€™d expect they would. Jeep video demonstrating it seemed to imply they were provided. If not Iā€™m sure Mopar can provide. They looked like simple straps. Canā€™t be more than a few dollars.

I wouldnā€™t drive around with it down without being strapped. Personally. Iā€™d rather take the extra few minutes to remove it. Donā€™t know how well those straps would hold if there were an accident.

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
Iā€™d expect they would. Jeep video demonstrating it seemed to imply they were provided. If not Iā€™m sure Mopar can provide. They looked like simple straps. Canā€™t be more than a few dollars.

I wouldnā€™t drive around with it down without being strapped. Personally. Iā€™d rather take the extra few minutes to remove it. Donā€™t know how well those straps would hold if there were an accident.
What can I say, I like to live dangerously.

I wonder where they would be stowed if provided?

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
What can I say, I like to live dangerously.

I wonder where they would be stowed if provided?
Iā€™d call the dealer. Wouldnā€™t the owners manual have the list of items included like tool kit? Canā€™t believe theyā€™d make you buy them. Jeep is expensive enough as is.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I wouldn't pay more for a fold down windshield. I suspect many feel the way I do, and entirely respect those that don't, and yet, a part of me is glad that FCA kept this in, and think I have an idea why they did.

The JL is a computer......that happens to have a vehicle attached to it.

For many die hard Wrangler owners, at least when it comes to their rig, they choose the metaphorical "manual" selection over the "automatic"--and that can apply to windows, transmissions and lots of things.

Given the choice of digital or analog, the same group might opt for analog..or maybe not, loving good sound systems too.

The point is that to do the drop down windshield presented a hat tip of sorts to the legacy of the Wrrangler, giving the true die hard loyalists something at the same time as the power top did to those more likely to exclusively use the rig on road.

(I judge neither market segment. I just accept the reality that they exist and that FCA has to please both somewhat to maximize profit.)

The windshield's folding downside made things like rain sensitive windshield wipers more difficult (FCA will overcome this too I'm sure in time) but their marketing quants assured them that the public would be okay absent of this feature. (Note to self, I wish the back windshield wiper on the hard top had a variable setting, but to a diehard, the fact that even have a back wiper is a sell out.)

Once the folding front windshield was engineered, I'm not sure than a fixed one would have been cheaper to make or build, to pass along savings to the public.

The Wrangler is being tugged in two directions: one to its legacy, and one to the future with electric vehicles and autonomous driving. The latter makes me laugh somewhat, as the beauty of the Wrangler is, for those who love it, driving it, not having a computer do it for you.

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
The Wrangler is being tugged in two directions: one to its legacy, and one to the future with electric vehicles and autonomous driving.
Nice write up. You say a lot, very well.

In one of the JL Reveal events, the head of design mentioned the folding windshield. Among his comments was that; ā€œit was a fight to keep it in.ā€

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I ride motorcycles. I like wind - a lot. For the life of me, I just canā€™t imagine why I would want to drive around with the windshield down on my Jeep.

Thanks for the warning, but I knew this without even experimenting. By the way, you will really want some first rate cushioning and tie-downs for the windshield if you do this on rough roads/trails.
On the trail, when you get a little dust/mud on the windshield and then add sun glare to the picture, folding down the windshield is a life-saver.

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
Nice write up. You say a lot, very well.

In one of the JL Reveal events, the head of design mentioned the folding windshield. Among his comments was that; ā€œit was a fight to keep it in.ā€
Yea, I read that during the JL design phase, whenever it came to a decision that could go either in favor of the marketing team or the engineering team (legacy), the engineering team won the day. It really shows in the JL. It off roads incredibly, and is a real treat to drive on the road as well.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Jeep already has a hard top option not recommended for removal to accommodate a push bottun open option. Seems like a deviation from norm. Iā€™m glad I can still buy a Jeep with folding front glass. Things that separate a Jeep from DD SUVs.

Solid axles
4WD
Topless
Removeable doors
Folding windshield

If one doesnā€™t crave those than much more comfortable options exist. Being honest. $30-$50k for a box on wheels seems nuts. But itā€™s a Jeep. That makes it priceless.

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
On the trail, when you get a little dust/mud on the windshield and then add sun glare to the picture, folding down the windshield is a life-saver.
That sounds reasonable, if you didnā€™t have windshield wipers, or some how your face and the interior of the Jeep were somehow impervious to the dust/mud/tar/glare/branches/and bugs that totally made your windshield opaque.
It is really cool it folds down, but it only has limited utility.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
People that drive with their windshield down---are-

Not smiling people !

Whatever