OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I don't know, but I kinda assume they are.
That "back in time" look is just right on your JL, it just means business, no funny games, I'm a fan :)
Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Itā€™s about time I do this.
I may have the slowest build on the forum, but whatever. Life gets in the way of a lot of things I try to do.

I came from a ā€˜89 YJ, that I bought new through AAFES while I was stationed in Germany. When the JL was announced, it had just recently rolled over 300,000 miles.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Lowly 2 door Sport Club! E000C873-03D9-45DE-8C54-B6918A200C31

I started my dream builds online (3.6/manual/Punkin with the ā€œfancyā€ wheels) and finally made it in to the dealership when they were available to order. I ordered and waited. I get a laugh watching people freak out ordering them now. At least you know what youā€™re getting into at this point. Those of us that bought the ā€˜18s were test subjects.
I went with the Sport knowing full well Iā€™d be swapping/upgrading a lot of pieces/parts.

I picked it up with 7 miles on the odometer and it was like stepping into a rocket ship. Going from an ā€˜89 YJ to the ā€˜18 JL was eye opening.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Lowly 2 door Sport Club! 5A3603AD-295A-41FD-8E19-90DF48F1C014

Iā€™m putting myself in 2/C category.
Itā€™s a Sport S that started life hoping one day the aftermarket would start putting out accessories for the 2 door. It looked pretty bleak in the beginning. I still donā€™t believe the aftermarket supports 2 door owners like they could.
Yes, Iā€™m aware how many 2 doors are sold vs. 4 doors and all that. But weā€™re a viable market for certain.

Mods Iā€™ve done in no particular order.
  • Rear seat delete
  • Mandatory stubby am/fm antenna, sill guards
  • Replaced front plastic bumper with the Mopar OEM steel front stubby bumper
  • Goodbye halogen headlights (they were AWFUL), hello Oracle Oculus Bi-LED Headlights
  • Auxbeam 8 gang aux switch
  • KC FE4s on front bumper
  • KC FE3s on A pillar - both with custom decals for the covers from @pixeldecals
  • 5ā€>>7ā€>>8.4ā€ Uconnect with sat antenna stashed under the windshield cowl a-la @blnewt - also went the extra mile and added the cabin temp sensor.
  • TAACOM visor hooks
  • Replaced stock dome light with new and improved OEM ā€˜22 version
  • 67 Designs device holders driver/passenger side
  • So long terrible plastic steps, welcome take-off Rubi OEM rock rails
  • Halogen tail lights swapped out with take-off OEM LED
  • Sport fender flares swapped with take-off OEM Rubi fender flares, front and back, with OEM LED
  • Rugged Ridge rear cargo liner
  • Teraflex 2.5ā€ Sport ST2 Suspension System & Falcon 2.1 Monotube
  • BFG 35x12.5 R17 KM3 M/T
  • Mopar tailgate reinforcement bracket paired with a Teraflex Alpha HD tire carrier
  • Outback Adventure Trailgater
  • Metalcloak narrow width rear steel bumper
Originally used a Superchips Flashcal for JL - have since switched over to a Tazer Mini. More options

Jeep Wrangler JL The Lowly 2 door Sport Club! 440908F2-9172-4E77-A6AA-4A12A708F89C

Jeep Wrangler JL The Lowly 2 door Sport Club! 9811AF33-45F1-4C9A-8835-FFE6CAD0ED22

Jeep Wrangler JL The Lowly 2 door Sport Club! D6D07883-323C-4A46-A642-E2E170E0B9F8

Jeep Wrangler JL The Lowly 2 door Sport Club! 6B1EBE92-4A7F-4052-A610-DCA1D446F627

Iā€™m certain Iā€™ve forgotten something and thereā€™s still a lot I want to do.
Havenā€™t blacked out the muffler cause I want to replace it with something. Upcoming mods include winch and winch plate. Theyā€™re sitting in a cart - just gotta pull the trigger. Iā€™m also going to replace all the stock steering bits with either Steersmarts or Metalcloak parts. Just have to decide which.

Anyway - there you have it.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Lowly 2 door Sport Club! IMG_6171

Edit - added picture of color matched dash panels by Distinction Applied.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I picked it up with 7 miles on the odometer and it was like stepping into a rocket ship.

5A3603AD-295A-41FD-8E19-90DF48F1C014.png
My exact words when I compared my 1995 YJ to my 2021 JLU.

I still miss the '95, but the new one is a whole 'nother universe.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Itā€™s about time I do this.
I may have the slowest build on the forum, but whatever. Life gets in the way of a lot of things I try to do.

I came from a ā€˜89 YJ, that I bought new through AAFES while I was stationed in Germany. When the JL was announced, it had just recently rolled over 300,000 miles.
E000C873-03D9-45DE-8C54-B6918A200C31.jpeg

I started my dream builds online (3.6/manual/Punkin with the ā€œfancyā€ wheels) and finally made it in to the dealership when they were available to order. I ordered and waited. I get a laugh watching people freak out ordering them now. At least you know what youā€™re getting into at this point. Those of us that bought the ā€˜18s were test subjects.
I went with the Sport knowing full well Iā€™d be swapping/upgrading a lot of pieces/parts.

I picked it up with 7 miles on the odometer and it was like stepping into a rocket ship. Going from an ā€˜89 YJ to the ā€˜18 JL was eye opening.
5A3603AD-295A-41FD-8E19-90DF48F1C014.png

Iā€™m putting myself in 2/C category.
Itā€™s a Sport S that started life hoping one day the aftermarket would start putting out accessories for the 2 door. It looked pretty bleak in the beginning. I still donā€™t believe the aftermarket supports 2 door owners like they could.
Yes, Iā€™m aware how many 2 doors are sold vs. 4 doors and all that. But weā€™re a viable market for certain.

Mods Iā€™ve done in no particular order.
  • Rear seat delete
  • Mandatory stubby am/fm antenna, sill guards
  • Replaced front plastic bumper with the Mopar OEM steel front stubby bumper
  • Goodbye halogen headlights (they were AWFUL), hello Oracle Oculus Bi-LED Headlights
  • Auxbeam 8 gang aux switch
  • KC FE4s on front bumper
  • KC FE3s on A pillar - both with custom decals for the covers from @pixeldecals
  • 5ā€>>7ā€>>8.4ā€ Uconnect with sat antenna stashed under the windshield cowl a-la @blnewt - also went the extra mile and added the cabin temp sensor.
  • Replaced stock dome light with new and improved OEM ā€˜22 version
  • 67 Designs device holders driver/passenger side
  • So long terrible plastic steps, welcome take-off Rubi OEM rock rails
  • Halogen tail lights swapped out with take-off OEM LED
  • Sport fender flares swapped with take-off OEM Rubi fender flares, front and back, with OEM LED
  • Rugged Ridge rear cargo liner
  • Mopar tailgate reinforcement bracket paired with a Teraflex Alpha HD tire carrier
  • Metalcloak narrow width rear steel bumper
Originally used a Superchips Flashcal for JL - have since switched over to a Tazer Mini. More options

440908F2-9172-4E77-A6AA-4A12A708F89C.jpeg

9811AF33-45F1-4C9A-8835-FFE6CAD0ED22.jpeg

Iā€™m certain Iā€™ve forgotten something and thereā€™s still a lot I want to do.
Havenā€™t blacked out the muffler cause I want to replace it with something. Upcoming mods include winch and winch plate. Theyā€™re sitting in a cart - just gotta pull the trigger. Iā€™m also going to replace all the stock steering bits with either Steersmarts or Metalcloak parts. Just have to decide which.

Anyway - there you have it.
The wait was worth it for your post! Nice additions for sure and I like those "fancy" granite OEM wheels, look proper on your JL. How do you like the 8.4 vs the 7 UConnect? I'm still loving the 7 vs that silly 5 :)

Are you still rocking that beer keg muffler? If so I'd look into one of those hi tuck exhausts. I love my Magnaflow twin pipe but it could be vulnerable if you drop on a ledge. So far so good here but??

So may great upgrades you've done, keep up the good work there! Oh, and your YJ, looked like you kicked ass w/ that build too!

Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Merchant Marine
The wait was worth it for your post! Nice additions for sure and I like those "fancy" granite OEM wheels, look proper on your JL. How do you like the 8.4 vs the 7 UConnect? I'm still loving the 7 vs that silly 5 :)

Are you still rocking that beer keg muffler? If so I'd look into one of those hi tuck exhausts. I love my Magnaflow twin pipe but it could be vulnerable if you drop on a ledge. So far so good here but??

So may great upgrades you've done, keep up the good work there! Oh, and your YJ, looked like you kicked ass w/ that build too!
Thanks Brad!

The 5ā€ was a sick joke, right? I got used to the 7ā€ but really wanted the 8.4ā€. Just took me a while to find one at a good price. Itā€™s a significant upgrade from the 7ā€ and the ORPs are useful. Unlike a lot of people, I do like the onboard nav system and use it when I need to. That doesnā€™t mean I donā€™t use Google Maps though. Whatever works best at the time.

Yep - still have the stock beer keg down there. Iā€™ve been looking at the Borla Climber series - I just donā€™t want to end up with a lot of
d-r-r-o-n-e so Iā€™ve been hesitant to make that swap.

The YJ was a beast. It took a beating and always bounced back with no problem. I sold it to a guy that promised to take care of it a couple years ago. The last time I saw it, it was in a sad state.
The only issue I ever had with it was inverting the leaf springs due to ā€œover confidenceā€. šŸ˜‚

Last edited:

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Last edited:

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Im group c I guess,Bought in June,done alot but cheap as i could.Will work just fine for me and looks just the way i wanted for now,the rest can be done in time...
Jeep Wrangler JL The Lowly 2 door Sport Club! thumbnail_IMG_5276
Those wheels are perfect on a Sting Grey. Big fan of the soft 8 look. šŸ‘šŸ¼

Sponsored

TimJL

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Did you regear moving up to those 35's? Or stock gearing on stock axles?? Looks great!

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Did you regear moving up to those 35's? Or stock gearing on stock axles?? Looks great!
Thanks!

Iā€™m on stock axles and stock gears. I donā€™t get into 6th gear very often and I donā€™t care. I barely ever got into it before the 35s.
My MPGs hang around 17 or 18 on the road. I get up into 20mpg on a longer road trip.

TimJL

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Thanks!

Iā€™m on stock axles and stock gears. I donā€™t get into 6th gear very often and I donā€™t care. I barely ever got into it before the 35s.
My MPGs hang around 17 or 18 on the road. I get up into 20mpg on a longer road trip.
Wow thats still really good. Is that with a LSD? Made the mistake of forgetting to add that to my order so feeling nervous throwing 35's on dana 35's

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Wow thats still really good. Is that with a LSD? Made the mistake of forgetting to add that to my order so feeling nervous throwing 35's on dana 35's
Nope. Open diffs on the Sport. I donā€™t do anything crazy in it. That said, it hasnā€™t let me down either.

Edit: @TimJL For reference, Iā€™ve had 35s since August of ā€˜18. Problem free. Not sure what kind of wheeling you do, but if youā€™re not out slamming you Jeep into rocks every weekend, I say go for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nope. Open diffs on the Sport. I donā€™t do anything crazy in it. That said, it hasnā€™t let me down either.

Edit: @TimJL For reference, Iā€™ve had 35s since August of ā€˜18. Problem free. Not sure what kind of wheeling you do, but if youā€™re not out slamming you Jeep into rocks every weekend, I say go for it.
That's good info, not feeling too bad about mounting up my 315/70s, I have a D44 w/ LSD to put in the rear soon but even w/ my open diffs I haven't had much trouble on the trails. Had the BLD kick in a few times and seemed to be decent aid when needed :) I have a torq-locker in front that I haven't tried off road so it should be fun to see what it can do down the road :)
Sponsored