Start Stop battery out again

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Why dont you just install an underhood charger and plug it in when you’ll be a few days without using the Jeep or you only have short commutes coming up.

Been over a year now since I’ve done so and never had a problem again. My S/S always works immediately as soon as the engine gets up to temp.

If interested, just do a search in this forum and you’ll know exactly what to buy. Otherwise, let me know and I’ll help.
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I didn't bother to warranty my bad aux battery. All they do is replace it with another junk battery that will fail quickly.

I replaced mine with quality aftermarket batteries. And I run a trickle charger when it sits for a while.

OP
OP
dchemphill1

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I didn't bother to warranty my bad aux battery. All they do is replace it with another junk battery that will fail quickly.

I replaced mine with quality aftermarket batteries. And I run a trickle charger when it sits for a while.
Thanks for all the info...maybe I will replace both. What is the best method to get to aux battery? Heard two ways and both say it is easy. Recommendations.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
My aux battery went off like half a year ago. With that, so did my auto start/stop. Never a problem until this past Sunday. My car wouldn’t start, just took it in to my dealer today and since I bough it pre-owned , sadly the battery wasn’t under warranty. Now I have to pay $1300 to get both batteries replaced, plus the battery sensor. Sucks .
Both batteries cost me about $350, replacing them is not difficult. If the IBS is bad, that's a $55 part. Who is charging you $1,300 to replace both batteries? That sounds way too expensive.

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Thanks for all the info...maybe I will replace both. What is the best method to get to aux battery? Heard two ways and both say it is easy. Recommendations.
Mine is the diesel so there's only one way for me. It's under the main battery in a closed compartment with a lid. Not sure about the gas versions.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
My aux battery went off like half a year ago. With that, so did my auto start/stop. Never a problem until this past Sunday. My car wouldn’t start, just took it in to my dealer today and since I bough it pre-owned , sadly the battery wasn’t under warranty. Now I have to pay $1300 to get both batteries replaced, plus the battery sensor. Sucks .
That's a rip off. Go buy the batteries and change them out yourself for about 4-500 bucks. Chances are high that your battery sensor isn't bad. Someone else here had a dealer that told them the exact same thing the other day.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
The main battery was load tested and good in January...
Do note, if a load tester was put on the main battery and the negative cable from the Aux wasn't first removed, your load test was one that represented a composite test of both batteries, not the main battery.

@Rhinebeck01's way. Make sure you have extra fender clips. You can get to the battery through the top and not break fender clips but you might break more expensive to replace components.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ent-the-easy-way-pull-the-fender-flare.56807/

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you're willing to spend $1300, you may want to consider just biting the bullet and installing a dual Genesis battery system.

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
If you're willing to spend $1300, you may want to consider just biting the bullet and installing a dual Genesis battery system.
IMHO the Genesis dual battery system, while excellent, is best left to those who desire power management for their after market appliances, particularly power hungry ones, and particularly when used in overlanding situations.

Yes, it will solve issues with the factory Aux battery, but so too, if you're willing to do without ESS, will simply disconnecting the Aux battery. To use the Genesis kit so you can run ESS is both IMHO overkill and cheaper methods, like trickle charging might be more effective.

To the "4" people out there who like ESS, ironically enough, the Genesis dual battery system will limit you to 6 ESS events per engine crank. While this may be more ESS events than many people experience in one trip, things happen this way because when the dual battery JL sees that the cables which normally connect to the Aux and main batteries from the factory have,--now connected to the Genesis setup--the same voltages prior to an ESS event, (which is what happens with the Genesis kit,) after 6 times of this it assume there some miswiring, and turns off ESS until the next cold crank.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
IMHO the Genesis dual battery system, while excellent, is best left to those who desire power management for their after market appliances, particularly power hungry ones, and particularly when used in overlanding situations.

Yes, it will solve issues with the factory Aux battery, but so too, if you're willing to do without ESS, will simply disconnecting the Aux battery. To use the Genesis kit so you can run ESS is both IMHO overkill and cheaper methods, like trickle charging might be more effective.

To the "4" people out there who like ESS, ironically enough, the Genesis dual battery system will limit you to 6 ESS events per engine crank. While this may be more ESS events than many people experience in one trip, things happen this way because when the dual battery JL sees that the cables which normally connect to the Aux and main batteries from the factory have,--now connected to the Genesis setup--the same voltages prior to an ESS event, (which is what happens with the Genesis kit,) after 6 times of this it assume there some miswiring, and turns off ESS until the next cold crank.
Just tossing it out there, since most Wrangler owners will at one time or another do some type of off-highway trips and these "electric marvels" can benefit from the redundancy.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Just tossing it out there, since most Wrangler owners will at one time or another do some type of off-highway trips and these "electric marvels" can benefit from the redundancy.
Certainly there are people out there both fed up with their Aux battery AND in need of overlanding power. :)

OP
OP
dchemphill1

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator

What brand do you recommend. I think I am going to replace both.

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Those that have had the Aux Batt fail…. What are the symptoms? How do you know it’s failing? I’m just curious to know what to look for if it should start to happen to me. Thx!!
Sponsored