Sponsored

If you hate the keyless ignition, you'll love this story!

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
So my wife (who has her Doctorate and is the smartest and most driven person I know) has had similar complaints about the Highlander Hybrid she drives. Now in her defense the car is often on battery only when she is pulling the car into the garage. BUT.... the car is dinging at you when you are opening the door to tell you it is still on. When I told her this (after she had left if on the first week we owned it) she said that she heard the dinging and was planning to go back to check it out but forgot. :facepalm:

I told her when you hear the dinging noise stop and investigate right then and there, do not wait until later. With that said she has never had a problem after that one time. If you forget to turn your car off when you are getting out of it maybe that is part of natural selection? ;)
Female minds think *differently*...

We used to have a Cayenne Turbo. My wife was driving it one day and had gone over to some other woman's house. When she was backing out of the driveway, the rear proximity alert started beeping at her and it keep beeping louder and faster the closer she got until she finished backing up INTO the mailbox on the other side of the street. She even admitted that she heard the beeps and saw the lights flashing. I have no idea why I ever buy a new car for her since she manages to back into something soon after getting it, regardless of what features the car might have to prevent it.

Of course, she's also one of these women that when the tire pressure monitoring system tells her that her tire pressure is low, she continues driving and *maybe* tells me about it a few days later. Hell, it seemed to take *forever* to get her to just pay attention to the gas gauge on a car that only *she* drives. Women are trainable, but it is difficult... For example, it seemed to take forever to get her to quit leaving her bras hanging on door knobs around the house... Now, getting her to check the oil, tire pressure, or other fluids periodically? LMAO... I would be lucky to live that long for that to happen... :(
Sponsored

Last edited:

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I personally like the key.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I personally like the key.
Agreed... The keyless thing is a "solution" to a problem that just did not exist and after they created this "solution", they had to add a lot more features to solve the problems created by the "solution".

Last edited:

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
The engine starts when you open the door? That is weird. I guess your JL is saying “hey buddy you forgot to shut me down”.

I did read in the manual that if left in ACC, the Jeep will turn off after 30 minutes of inactivity.
So you're saying it will shut down after 30 minutes? There was a lady in a Suburban many years ago that pulled into the garage in a rental not used to driving a push button start left it on killed the entire family in the middle of night with carbon dioxide poisoning. Why can't they just make it when you open the door and it's running it will shut off within 5 minutes. 30 minutes is long enough to fill the garage with carbon dioxide and get into the house and kill someone. Couple disc jockeys on the radio went to a sporting event to cover it and had a rental car left it outside running all night but they were joking about it the next morning how they said it was still on. Just make these things where they shut off after 5 minutes if the door was opened up. It could save so many lives. So you're saying the JL does do it in 30 minutes? If so that's too long

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Glad mine doesn't have autostart stop...

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Your JL doesn't have it is it a manual or did you turn it off with the taser ?
My dealer turned it off. I have a Tazer now so I can turn it back on or off myself.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
What did they charge you to turn it off ? must be nice to have that off I bet

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So you're saying it will shut down after 30 minutes? There was a lady in a Suburban many years ago that pulled into the garage in a rental not used to driving a push button start left it on killed the entire family in the middle of night with carbon dioxide poisoning. Why can't they just make it when you open the door and it's running it will shut off within 5 minutes. 30 minutes is long enough to fill the garage with carbon dioxide and get into the house and kill someone. Couple disc jockeys on the radio went to a sporting event to cover it and had a rental car left it outside running all night but they were joking about it the next morning how they said it was still on. Just make these things where they shut off after 5 minutes if the door was opened up. It could save so many lives. So you're saying the JL does do it in 30 minutes? If so that's too long
It's carbon monoxide, not carbon dioxide. Sure, you can be asphyxiated by carbon dioxide also, but it takes a lot more to do it and it is more noticeable since the body involuntarily starts breathing faster when the CO2 concentration goes up. That's why breathing pure nitrogen, helium, and a couple of other gases are so dangerous. Your body doesn't act any differently with it and you just quickly go unconscious. Carbon monoxide blocks the ability of the body to take advantage of the oxygen in the air that we are breathing, so even with plenty of O2 in the air, we could still suffocate if we had breathed enough carbon monoxide to block it. It's probably a bit more complicated than that, but that is basically a "Cliff's Notes" version of it.

Having a car that shuts itself off when the the door opens would be really stupid in my opinion as an engineer. Even more stupid that the electronic start stop, the push to start button, and the keyless entry. Besides all the other reasons that it would be a bad idea, just think about it... We're talking about a *Jeep* here... Something that some people actually take *off-road*. Maybe you've seen those places before? Places where you sometimes have to get out of the vehicle to hook up a recovery strap or a winch? Places where you might be wading through a bit of water when you are getting stuck? You probably don't want you engine to decide to shut itself off when water is over the tailpipe since that can cause water to get sucked up in there.

Of course, this worry of yours about the car continuing to run after you have exited the vehicle and you not noticing it is only a problem because of the keyless entry and auto start-stop. If you were required to use a key to start the vehicle and the vehicle could not run without the key in it, you wouldn't be searching for a solution to this problem. Or you could just install a vent fan in your garage that constantly exhausted the air in the garage so that leaving the car running would not be an issue for you.

Last edited:

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
It's carbon monoxide, not carbon dioxide. Sure, you can be asphyxiated by carbon dioxide also, but it takes a lot more to do it and it is more noticeable since the body involuntarily starts breathing faster when the CO2 concentration goes up. That's why breathing pure nitrogen, helium, and a couple of other gases are so dangerous. Your body doesn't act any differently with it and you just quickly go unconscious. Carbon monoxide blocks the ability of the body to take advantage of the oxygen in the air that we are breathing, so even with plenty of O2 in the air, we could still suffocate if we had breathed enough carbon monoxide to block it. It's probably a bit more complicated than that, but that is basically a "Cliff's Notes" version of it.

Having a car that shuts itself off when the the door opens would be really stupid in my opinion as an engineer. Even more stupid that the electronic start stop, the push to start button, and the keyless entry. Besides all the other reasons that it would be a bad idea, just think about it... We're talking about a *Jeep* here... Something that some people actually take *off-road*. Maybe you've seen those places before? Places where you sometimes have to get out of the vehicle to hook up a recovery strap or a winch? Places where you might be wading through a bit of water when you are getting stuck? You probably don't want you engine to decide to shut itself off when water is over the tailpipe since that can cause water to get sucked up in there.

Of course, this worry of yours about the car continuing to run after you have exited the vehicle and you not noticing it is only a problem because of the keyless entry and auto start-stop. If you were required to use a key to start the vehicle and the vehicle could not run without the key in it, you wouldn't be searching for a solution to this problem. Or you could just install a vent fan in your garage that constantly exhausted the air in the garage so that leaving the car running would not be an issue for you.
You could have it cut off after 30 minutes if you're getting out to hook something up for minute all you got to do is hit a button reset it same thing as you get out now if you want to keep it off permanently while you're driving if you get out you have to reset it. I'm just thinking it could save lives going off-roading has nothing to do with someone forgetting and leaving it running in the garage not saying I would but there's people talking on the phone. T.hings happen where people could forget I'm for anything that would save lives. They've already created this problem by coming out with this feature for one reason because the movie star got killed and crushed and I'm sure you remember that or we wouldn't be talking about this in the first place. And not knowing me and suggesting oh you have seen Offroad places right you don't even know me but like you're the offroad King I'm sure you go every weekend 4 weekends a month Faithfully Geez

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You could have it cut off after 30 minutes if you're getting out to hook something up for minute all you got to do is hit a button reset it same thing as you get out now if you want to keep it off permanently while you're driving if you get out you have to reset it. I'm just thinking it could save lives going off-roading has nothing to do with someone forgetting and leaving it running in the garage not saying I would but there's people talking on the phone. T.hings happen where people could forget I'm for anything that would save lives. They've already created this problem by coming out with this feature for one reason because the movie star got killed and crushed and I'm sure you remember that or we wouldn't be talking about this in the first place. And not knowing me and suggesting oh you have seen Offroad places right you don't even know me but like you're the offroad King I'm sure you go every weekend 4 weekends a month Faithfully Geez
Even without this "feature", you can't make a car (or anything else) idiot-proof. If you even try, nature will just create bigger idiots. We need to quit interfering with Darwin and let him claim those who should not be polluting the human gene pool with their genes. Get rid of the seat belt laws and let's go back to hard metal dashes on the cars instead of the soft and forgiving plastic ones.

Adding a feature where the car shuts down after the door has been opened just adds more situations that you would need to take care of to prevent unacceptable consequences. Now you have to add sensors to determine if anyone is still in the car. Maybe you're running some errands with your wife and you need to pick up something at Home Depot and she doesn't want to go in and would rather just sit in the air-conditioned car and surf the internet on her phone while you go inside. She's going to be really pissed off if you leave and the car quickly quits providing air-conditioning. Maybe you have taken the Jeep camping and you are leaving it running to provide power for music or whatever. That's another case where you would want it to keep running instead of automatically shutting off.

This whole auto start-stop and keyless entry adds a whole lot more problems than it solves as far as I'm concerned.

If you are wanting to have all these things added to the vehicle to protect people from their own stupidity, then make sure that it is optional and they have to press a large red button on the dash that say, "I'M AN IDIOT. PLEASE PROTECT ME FROM MY OWN STUPIDITY."

Or we can just go back to the tried and true key type systems that everyone has used their entire lives. Sometimes, it really makes no sense to be reinventing the wheel. Even in the UK where they drive on the opposite side of the road and the controls for the car are on the other side of it, the throttle, brake, and clutch are still in the same order and not a mirror image of what we are used to. The cars also have the same gear shift pattern, even though it is operated by your left hand and it takes a bit of getting used to if you've been shifting with your right hand for the last 50 years. Changes, just for the sake of change is seldom (if ever) a good idea.

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And not knowing me and suggesting oh you have seen Offroad places right you don't even know me but like you're the offroad King I'm sure you go every weekend 4 weekends a month Faithfully Geez
Nawh, that was just my attempt at a bit of razzing humor fueled by quite a few beers this evening. I probably shouldn't post when I've been drinking, but oh well, what would be the fun in that? :)

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
You could just push the button within 30 minutes if it was going to shut off it's no different now. You got to push the button if you want to turn that feature off or every time you stop at the red light the motor shuts off and then comes back on when you take your foot off the brake. Unless you've already cut the feature off permanently with a taser. I personally would rather not have a push start I had no problem starting with a key for 40 years that I've been driving. Hell I still don't know why they had to make a key fob the size of a cell phone LOL

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You could just push the button within 30 minutes if it was going to shut off it's no different now. You got to push the button if you want to turn that feature off or every time you stop at the red light the motor shuts off and then comes back on when you take your foot off the brake. Unless you've already cut the feature off permanently with a taser. I personally would rather not have a push start I had no problem starting with a key for 40 years that I've been driving. Hell I still don't know why they had to make a key fob the size of a cell phone LOL
Well, I've got you beat on the time basis... I've been starting vehicles with a key for 50 years if you factor in tractors at the ranch. Now, *some* of those vehicles way back then did have starter buttons, but they were good old mechanical momentary contact electrical switches that carried either the entire battery amperage to the starter or at least had a significant amperage to activate the relay. I just don't like this idea of what basically amounts to a "software key" that tells the computer that you want to start the car and you hope that the computer does it. I expect it to have problems like when desktop computers these days get in weird states and you can't just press the power button to turn them off because the computer is totally hung. Used to be, the main power switch was a physical interruption of the power going into the power supply, so if you turned it off and back on, the computer will definitely do a cold boot. These days, you have to actually unplug the power supply from the wall (or the cord that goes into the back of the power supply). And if you have a laptop that has frozen, unplugging it from the wall still might not be good enough since you might have to remove the battery in order to force the laptop to reboot. I also see this as a problem with the cellphones that they are making these days. Used to be, the batteries of cellphones were easily removable. This was convenient and if you were going on a long flight / trip where you might not have access to a power plug, you could just buy a few more batteries fairly cheaply and keep them with you, swapping them out as necessary. If a cellphone froze, you could easily pop the battery out of it to reboot it. It seems that most of the cellphones these days have batteries that are a major pain in the butt to replace, basically requiring a detailed disassembly of the unit in order to do it. That's a potential major flaw as far as I'm concerned.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea - I just like having a physical key and ignition switch that you insert and turn in case something goes wrong with software/key battery/any other crazy technological thing.

Kind of the only thing I really don't like about the JL. I'm a Sport buyer, and was hoping they'd let us slink away with regular key/ignition, but nope... we got roped in, too lol
Sponsored