Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara, 15 Lexus CT200h, 15 Toyota Highlander Ltd
Ride comfort almost the same as factory, outside of the road noise

DD7E2F0C-5E27-4F8A-AB09-9B911B5EDA4B.jpeg

88596361-2972-4ACA-8F5B-3CB70C715F94.jpeg
Thanks for posting these pics....looks awesome...can you post another pic showing how much your tires stick out beyond the fender?
Sponsored

BronxBomber

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
33s DO rub a bit on Sport S with no lift. I didn't think there was any rub at first ... even when I turned the tires to full extremes & got out and looked. But, in a few parking instances, the tires did slightly rub the bottom of the plastic piece that bridges the bumper to the fender flare. I planned on removing those pieces, but just haven't gotten around to it.

2018 JL New Wheels Profile.jpg

I have a 2.5" boost (using stock suspension) boxed in my garage waiting to go on. I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to do it myself or have someone install the lift who will also do the alignment. If I put it on soon, I'll post pics.
Attempted to install a 33x12.5x20 today on a JLU Sport S and I couldn't make the wheel turn more than halfway with the Euro fender flare piece. Swinging by Discount Tire in the morning to try again now that the piece is gone - looks like it shaves ~2 inches off, which hopefully is enough.

What tire width are you running msujedi?

Sponsored

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Attempted to install a 33x12.5x20 today on a JLU Sport S and I couldn't make the wheel turn more than halfway with the Euro fender flare piece. Swinging by Discount Tire in the morning to try again now that the piece is gone - looks like it shaves ~2 inches off, which hopefully is enough.

What tire width are you running msujedi?
285mm ~ 11.2in

Yeah, I had new wheels installed ... then noticed the rub when turning ... removed silly bumper to fender flare piece ... no issues. However, the wheel backspacing/offset you choose will affect clearance.

Last edited:

BronxBomber

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
With 2" factory lift. Rubicon takeoffs.

20180519_092512.jpg
Mine are a -24 offset (may have gone a bit too aggressive), so actively fighting physics here! Lol. No problem with new install, minus the splash guards!

I'm running a 12.5, so letting everyone know that it does fit!

maus92

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS Firecracker Red
I'm trying to decide on what to do with tires / lift. I am not going to be rock crawling - just a bit of beach sand and jet ski towing. I want slightly bigger tires for aesthetic reasons, and only want to lift (using the Mopar kit) if I have rubbing issues. I want to try 275/70r18s on the stock Sahara wheels, probably Falken Wildpeak AT3s because I've read that they are relatively quiet compared to K02 and Nitto Terra Grappler G2s, and this is going to be a daily driver. The issue for me is that if there is rubbing, the 2" lift might look a bit ridiculous with slightly small tires (275/70r18s are roughly 33.4".) Also, how much would you expect 275s to protrude from under the fender with stock wheels? I'm not really a fan of tires noticeably wider than fenders. I don't want to size up to 35s and lose too much highway performance and mileage.

maus92

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS Firecracker Red
^^^^Getting cited by the Sheriff?

Sponsored

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
No rubbing with 33s on our Sport. Rubicon springs and shocks added about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". The tires added another 1/2" for a total lift of about 2" over stock. The ride is firm but very comfortable.
We love how it turned out. :jk:
33s.jpg

aqualung

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
First, thank you for responding. Much appreciated.

Feel free to correct me if my next statement is wrong but isn't gear ratio a big factor in whether or not the Jeep can handle the tire/wheel combo. In my JKU I had the 3.73 rear end / auto trans and 33's seemed to run OK but it was at the upper end of the spec, so to speak. Yes, the attached image was created for a JK but I suspect that the gear ratio/tire size info might still be relevant, which is why I posed my earlier question. No doubt the Rubicon and the 4.10 rear end can handle the 35's but the 3.45 might be over matched by the 33's and thus the 8spd trans might struggle at the upper end. Anyhow, that said the Jeep will still function with the 33's but maybe not to it's fully capability.

In the end the rear end gearing may drive me towards a JLUR though I have no need for the bulk of the capability of the that particular model of Jeep though it looks really bad ass, IMO. Too bad they aren't offering a 3.73 upgrade on the Sport/Sahara trims.

Gear Ratio Chart.jpg
I would wait for a new chart. 8 speed tranny and the 3.45 gears are only 9% difference from 3.73. So performance is going to be better with the JL.
No rubbing with 33s on our Sport. Rubicon springs and shocks added about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". The tires added another 1/2" for a total lift of about 2" over stock. The ride is firm but very comfortable.
We love how it turned out. :jk:
33s.jpg
That looks perfect! I had 315s on my Jk and decided to do 33s and a Rubi Suspension. Did you do control arms?

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
... That looks perfect! I had 315s on my Jk and decided to do 33s and a Rubi Suspension. Did you do control arms?
Thanks! I have the Rubi control arms but did not install them They are not needed. The Rubi and Sport arms are the same. BTW, I had a 3/4" "leveling kit" that I decided not to install. It's not needed on the JL.
Sponsored