Sponsored

Things Ford Got Right with the Bronco Vs the Wrangler

randeeezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JL Willys
I feel like most people on here are so biased (obviously) that it's hard to even have a discussion about this.

A few things I like:
Hard top comes standard on the 2 door Bronco. Personally, I wanted a hard top on my JL. Sucks that it cost an extra $1600. I will say, however, that you can't get a soft top on the 2 door bronco without also getting the hard top, and that soft top is $$$, so if you're a soft top kind of guy, this actually sucks for you

More modern, larger screen - the stock screen on the Bronco is basically the same size as the wrangler's "premium 8.4" package addon. On the bronco, that goes up to 12 inches. And while there are plenty of old school guys on this forum, the fact is that this is just part of the modern automobile market, and Jeep is lagging. Expect to see big updates in this department whenever the next Jeep model comes out.

Useable dash space - the Bronco has a really nice, flat dash with some real depth to it. You'll have room to stow quite a few things here; just a nice little detail

Price - Bronco seems to beat Wrangler on price, at least as far as I've been seeing. MSRP, of course.

Eruption Green - why the hell isn't this a jeep color? All we have for green is highlighter neon, or flat Sarge.

Sasquatch - any model can get this package. 2 door, base, etc.

I almost ordered a Bronco, but the one big thing is that you just can't seem to get one. I can get a Jeep built in 3 months, but a Bronco could take 6, 8, 12, hell, 24 months . . .

Lots of people just ordering broncos and flipping them once they come in, because there's no supply. Crazy car market these days.

Last thing I'll say - Jeep just looks cooler than the Bronco ;)
All in all, I can't wait for my JL Willy's to come in January !
Sponsored

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
3) Sasquatch available on 2-doors.
Ford said "yes" to their purists, and Jeep said "screw you guys". No Xtreme Recon for our purists and long time enthusiast. We don't get the good stuff.
Is it true the XR Extreme Recon package was never available on JL 2doors?
Did not know that.
4) Split rear seat (2-door)
The Bronco 2-door has split rear seats that fold independently and relatively flat. Much better design than the tumble bench seat in the Jeep.
There is a definite need for some kind of accommodation for a 3rd passenger in a JL 2door while retaining half the floor for storage. There have been threads on this. My preference would be for two separate half-seats so half can be removed leaving only the floor. It's a limited need because 2doors are in the minority and only some of us 2door drivers want a third passenger option.

If the rear seat in the 2door Bronco can be half-folded but not easily removed, then that is not much improvement for me. Much prefer having the ability to remove a rear seat fully.

OP
OP
ZBRA

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SJ Cherokee, SJ Gladiator, JKU, & JL
I feel like most people on here are so biased (obviously) that it's hard to even have a discussion about this.
No joke. Some of these guys act like you if have something nice to say about the competition, then you must be a hired troll.

I almost ordered a Bronco, but the one big thing is that you just can't seem to get one. I can get a Jeep built in 3 months, but a Bronco could take 6, 8, 12, hell, 24 months . . .
I ordered a 2-door MT Badlands 21 months ago. Scheduled to be built next week.

I ordered a 2-door MT Rubicon 3 months ago. Got scheduled today, but I don't know the scheduled build date yet.

Last thing I'll say - Jeep just looks cooler than the Bronco ;)
Kinda agree.... Best to worst.... 2DR Jeep > 2DR Bronco > 4DR Jeep > thousands of other vehicles > 4DR Bronco.

Ford did a terrible job designing the Bronco wagon. I think they are absolutely hideous. No styling, horrible colors for the most part, and almost every one has a wrinkled up soft top that looks like it was the cheapest Chinese top they could find on eBay. Jeep did a much better job adapting their icon to a 4-door wagon.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
IDK, I prefer carpet and leather in every vehicle I purchase, both are easy to take care of and make sense as prices keep increasing

Sponsored

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I don't get this. Why not compare the Jeep larger engine to the 2.7L? Why pick and choose an engine that has less power when Jeep offers four engines and Ford offers two. You certainly could pick the standard 2.3L from Ford and compare it to the "standard" engine in the Jeep.

6.4L, 3.6L, 3.0L, 2.0L, EV...
Sorry. Nope. The 2.7L twin turbo V6 costs about $1800 more than the 4 cyl. So its half the price of a diesel upgrade. And for someone who prefers gas, its a no brainer.

Bottom line is that most people would like a bit more power and don't want the expense of a diesel. The 2.7 T fits in the "just right" column.

The four-door hard top versions have the same passenger volume 103.7 cubic feet.
Have you ever been in one? Passenger volume includes height. I don't know if the Jeep is taller, but for 99% of people that's a pointless number.

I've spent hours in a Bronco and it is noticeably larger inside. There is significantly more width to the interior.

Again, that's irrelevant to me. Overall I much prefer the Jeep interior for its higher quality materials.

This isn't any different than buying a base Rubicon. I paid $39.8k for a two-door Rubicon.
Again, no. A BaseSquatch includes the following items that don't come on a basic Rubicon.

1) 35" tires
2) bead lock capable wheels
3) Position sensitive shocks
4) 4.88 gears

It includes locking front and rear lockers like a Rubicon.

It does not include detachable front roll bar like a Rubicon. You need to get the Badlands version to get that.

A base Sasquatch is $41k MSRP. So you get better tires, wheels, shocks and gears but you give up front sway bar disconnect.

I guess it all depends on how much priority you put on a disconnecting front sway.

But if you were to add wheels and tires like this, it would cost you $3500, then another $2500 for gears.

Reactions: AFD

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

I don't think that's the case at all. I think people can be unbiased and disagree.

I reserved a Bronco on the first day, I think it was July 14, 2020 if I remember right. I converted my reservation on the first day possible, January 19, 2021. The most frustrating part was being a person with an early reservation. There are still people, a lot of people, waiting, that reserved in July 2020 and have not received their Bronco.

The biased or non-biased part though comes down to perspective and importance. The Rubicon isn't any different than buying a Base Bronco with Sasquatch. As an example, using my Rubicon (which I purchased a 2021 and a 2022 exactly the same except gearing), the Base Bronco is $32k + delivery. If you want the lower gearing, 4.7 gearing (similar to the Rubicon with 4.88 gearing), it requires the Sasquatch package ($6,590). You're now at $41,275. If you want a soft top (standard on the Rubicon) it's another $2,480. Skid plates are another $825. They are standard on the Rubicon. Auxiliary switches are $195. You can't get the upgraded stereo on the Base Bronco, so my base Bronco would be $44,775. I paid $39,800 for the Rubicon ($5,000 less for a Rubicon, with tow package and upgraded stereo, than Basesquatch). I realize the 2022 Rubicon has gone up in price since I bought one, so the numbers are a little skewed in my favor.

If you're unbiased, but have preference, then again, you can have discussion with disagreement.

I wouldn't purchase the BFG AT tires in 35", so that's not a selling point for the Sasquatch package. So, what does the Sasquatch package offer "over" a standard Rubicon. Nothing. They offer tires a lot of folks would swap out or wouldn't choose if there was something else available. They don't offer bead locks. They offer bead lock capable wheels that require additional parts. The Sasquatch wheels are functionally the same as standard Rubicon wheels, and Mopar offers bead lock-capable wheels through the dealer. If I wanted to pay more for bead locks (which (almost) no one runs), I'd just buy bead locks. Bead lock-capable is a marketing gimmick. It sounds badass, but offers no advantage. So, what is the Sasquatch package? It's a marketing tool. It is a cool name of an "appearance package". Someone suggested they offer a lift...but for what? If you follow the Bronco, you know that the lift actually decreases articulation. You get more articulation with the stock Badlands suspension than Sasquatch.

"Sasquatch" is tires most wouldn't choose and less articulation than the stock Bronco, and far less articulation than the Wrangler...even the Wrangler Sport.

That's not bias, it's fact. Based on preference, the Rubicon is better off road than the most off road-oriented Bronco, at a lower price.

Last edited:

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
A base Sasquatch is $41k MSRP. So you get better tires, wheels, shocks and gears but you give up front sway bar disconnect.
That's one of the things Ford screwed up on the Bronco; you gotta pony up extra $$$ for the Badlands package to get the sway bar disconnect.

The Sasquatch package is supposed to compete with the Rubicon package and it does right up to the point of no driver disconnect sway bar. Though it does surpass the standard Rubicon with 35" tires.

Again, Pros and Cons to each.

No joke. Some of these guys act like you if have something nice to say about the competition, then you must be a hired troll.

Right? I like most all 4x4s.... if they can get you out in the boonies having fun, that's the important thing.

Ford did a terrible job designing the Bronco wagon. I think they are absolutely hideous. No styling, horrible colors for the most part, and almost every one has a wrinkled up soft top that looks like it was the cheapest Chinese top they could find on eBay. Jeep did a much better job adapting their icon to a 4-door wagon.
Yep. Just a few design changes and the Bronco could've been much better looking than it is.

The soft top??? LoL, the current one is a love to hate it thing. It is quiet, quieter than the JL soft top, but the design isn't as air tight as the JL top and cold air leaks in on the sides. Though so far, here in the rainy PNW, I gotta say, it doesn't leak.

And don't mention the crazy lift the whole back of the soft top up to access the rear cargo area. What style design engineer thought that was a good idea???

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Is it true the XR Extreme Recon package was never available on JL 2doors?
Did not know that.

There is a definite need for some kind of accommodation for a 3rd passenger in a JL 2door while retaining half the floor for storage. There have been threads on this. My preference would be for two separate half-seats so half can be removed leaving only the floor. It's a limited need because 2doors are in the minority and only some of us 2door drivers want a third passenger option.

If the rear seat in the 2door Bronco can be half-folded but not easily removed, then that is not much improvement for me. Much prefer having the ability to remove a rear seat fully.
I agree on the rear seat topic. I took the rear seat out as it wasn't possibl to have my wife and son in the Jeep if we want to bring any kind of gear with us. Would love a half seat in back with the ability to remove the other half.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Sorry. Nope. The 2.7L twin turbo V6 costs about $1800 more than the 4 cyl. So its half the price of a diesel upgrade. And for someone who prefers gas, its a no brainer.

Bottom line is that most people would like a bit more power and don't want the expense of a diesel. The 2.7 T fits in the "just right" column.

Have you ever been in one? Passenger volume includes height. I don't know if the Jeep is taller, but for 99% of people that's a pointless number.

I've spent hours in a Bronco and it is noticeably larger inside. There is significantly more width to the interior.

Again, that's irrelevant to me. Overall I much prefer the Jeep interior for its higher quality materials.

Again, no. A BaseSquatch includes the following items that don't come on a basic Rubicon.

1) 35" tires
2) bead lock capable wheels
3) Position sensitive shocks
4) 4.88 gears

It includes locking front and rear lockers like a Rubicon.

It does not include detachable front roll bar like a Rubicon. You need to get the Badlands version to get that.

I guess it all depends on how much priority you put on a disconnecting front sway.

But if you were to add wheels and tires like this, it would cost you $3500, then another $2500 for gears.
Why not compare base engines? For no money, I get more power with the 3.6L. The 3.6L fits in the "just right" column.

I posted the headroom, legroom and total passenger volume. I didn't make it up. The only space that's "better" is the front seat.

You don't get better tires, you get taller tires. You don't get better wheels, since bead lock capable is the same as a standard wheel, 4.88 are not available on the Bronco. It is a $895 option on the Wrangler.

Sponsored

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
The Wrangler should be better equipped to play in sand dunes as well as the Bronco does.

Last edited:

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
...And don't mention the crazy lift the whole back of the soft top up to access the rear cargo area. What style design engineer thought that was a good idea???
Some Ford engineer probably left early on a Friday and came back in on Monday hung over before continuing on the CAD drawing for the soft top. That's the only way it makes any sense to me.

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURXR Tuscadero, 2023 JLURXR Reign
I agree there are issues with the Jeeps and in some cases can/should be improved.....that being said, it's hard to please everyone. Overall, I think Jeep has done a great job! Just my very humble opinion.......:bandit:
I think Jeep’s doing something right....they sell a crap ton of Wranglers.

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

Having the mirrors separate from the doors, so you don’t have to buy mirrors for when you install tube doors and/or when you take the doors off completely.

shnider10

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
IMO for the JL coming out in 2018 and the Bronco coming out in 2021, the Jeep has held its own and then some. Superior interior and better off road capabilities. Bronco wins on the road manners and engine department. Future looks bright because of the added competition!

Jeep will upgrade in infotainment center and engine probably in the next 3-5 years I would guess.
Sponsored