Sponsored

Help! Snapped my axle on my 2022 JLUR Xtreme Recon and I need advice!

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
How fast were you going? You said you weren’t going over 20mph, but what was the speed and what exactly did you tell the service department?

I have not had experience with having my suspension repaired through FCA/Stellantis because I’ve modified it. So, if I break something, I’m definitely going through my insurance.

However, I just had an engine replacement approved and replaced through my added care plus extended warranty. As far as my VIN being flagged? IDK and tbh I don’t care as long as FCA continues to honor my service contract.

I will say that it took corporate 25 days to send an inspector/adjuster out to see my engine, while it had been sitting at the dealership. The dealer notified corporate one week after I brought it in (took them a bit with diagnosing the issue, which I appreciate). They took 25 days to come see an engine that they eventually approved to be replaced and I think they only approved it because I kept such pristine records with maintenance and logging it on the owner site. I could prove that I was a “responsible owner”. I just got it back after not having it for 44 days.

I’m saying this because IF you have a FCA inspector come look at it, you will be on their schedule…meaning they can take all the time in the world before coming to see your Jeep at the dealer. That alone is triggering.

And by the time they get there if you can’t prove that you went according to speed specs for off-roading it is highly likely they will deny coverage. So, you’ve wasted time and potentially put your VIN at risk IF they decide you were negligent. Had you recorded your off-roading, going at a decent speed, then I definitely say have FCA come look at it, IF you have the time to spare and another daily driver.

But if it’s your word, and a broken axle, I’m afraid they could take forever to come inspect it and eventually deny you. Get that data from the EDR if you are able. 🙏🏽
Why did you have to replace the engine?
Sponsored

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
To me off-roading in a Jeep is more about crawl ratio, i.e. slow and steady. Especially in an XR with their small bump stop gap. If you want to go balls to the walls off of 2-3 foot desert whoops I suggest buying a RZR.
If you've ever watched Matt's Offroad Recovery on Youtube, those RZRs break in the dunes all the time. He's always carrying them out on trailers. Desert shenanigans like OP engaged in are really the realm of custom-built buggies or trucks.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
"A thousand times easier" How many times have you personally broken your Broncos tie rod? 🤔

Also what if a person's off road preference is hooning around sand dunes and going fast over humps? Then I guess it would get really freaking expensive and a thousand times easier to break a Wrangler? 🤷‍♂️

Off Roading just isn't Rock Crawling.

IMO if they make these vehicles for Off-roading the companies should back it up in the warranty. That's literally what they Market them as when they advertise and sell them.
They dont. Theyre passenger vehicles for the road that can also be driven off road. They follow all regulations for an on road vehicle. Theyre not vehicles for off roading.

Regardless. If I do something dumb with my mountain bike or even if I hit a small rock just a bit wrong. It wont be covered under warranty. Even though it is a mountain bike.

Wranglers were designed for low speed off roading for normal people. It is a vehicle that will take you almost anywhere if driven normally.

If you instead want to use it to go over 3 feet dunes at 20mph then you either need to buy a different vehicle or modify the wrangler accordingly.

Sponsored

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I'm guessing you missed the fine-print-disclaimer on all those ads: "Professional driver. Closed course."

In any situation, either pre-run the course so you already know what's there, or approach it at limited speed in anticipation of what might or might not be on the other side of a blind obstacle. To do otherwise is to invite the consequences.
Of course they put that in the fine print. And of course they used a professional driver and they know whats in the 100' circle. That's to cover their ass so they never have to pay for damages done. I'm not disputing that.

And in real life even if you walk over to an area or obstacle and look at it. It doesn't mean you know how your vehicle is going to react. That's why most off roaders are adrenaline junkies. Because of the excitement of the unknown and what might happen.

In the end maybe more people just need to buy this Jeep and not expect a stock Wrangler to actually do those things they portray in the commercials. That seems to be the direction Stellantis is heading and wants us to go. 🤣

2022-Jeep-4xe-Day-Hero-Jeep-Recon-Desktop.jpg

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just make sure they have rotated the mounts to compensate for the caster/pinion contention issues or there will be a vibration that will make you come to hate your Jeep.
I can't think of a quality D60 mfg that doesn't.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm sure they didn't. But if you're off roading in the dunes and driving around just like they are in the commercial how do you know what's on the other side of a dune or hump? Shit can happen fast.
If you are driving that fast and don't know what is on the other side of a dune, that is how you kill people on the other side. It's all about responsible driving.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
All off roading isnt rock crawling, which is why Jeep has a package called the mojave which is made for desert fun. The rubicon trim is made for rock crawling.

Neither is designed to leave be launched through the air no matter how you spin it, and I dont think a single Jeep employee would say that they are.
Except thats a Rubicon in their commercial. They are portraying it as king of the sand ripping around. They should have just did a rock crawling commercial then. That's my point. Don't false adverise. And they released this commercial at the same time the new Bronco was released. Which is a vehicle that is made for that type of off roading.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sponsored

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
If you are driving that fast and don't know what is on the other side of a dune, that is how you kill people on the other side. It's all about responsible driving.
First off I wouldn't drive like that personally especially not where there's people around. Second there are open areas out in the desert with no people without large sand dunes with smaller humps that can still get you 2' in the air. It doesn't take much.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Sorry about the bump in the road.....

Its not a defect. But, a weak design flaw. Most MPG was #1 priority. If you want to keep it mostly stock, I would install a UD 44 AdvanTEK front crate axle.

For those with a FAD......You may want to consider having your dealer install the Mopar Performance UD 44 AdvanTEK front crate axle to avoid future warranty issues.

NOTE: It isn't too difficult to break the axle at the FAD joint.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Why did you have to replace the engine?

blown head gaskets, “quiet coolant leak” that was seeping into the block…warped my cylinders without any notice or warning beforehand.

no puddle or visual coolant leak. Received zero low coolant light/errors, received no engine light, received no high temperature light. Only knew i had a problem when the jeep idled really rough.

had no coolant in reservoir…so i filled it and maintained it until I could get it to a dealer (rarely drove it). First dealer thought EGR cooler (which is not covered under my EW). after this, I received the ESS light only.

Took it to a 2nd dealer…they opened the engine to find coolant in cylinders and warped cylinders beyond repair. Engine was burning the coolant and this is why there were no visual leaks (no puddles under the jeep).

edit: this happened @ 61k miles (1k miles beyond PTrain warranty). Only thing that saved me was my extended warranty that kicked in and only paid $100 deductible for a brand new engine.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Note that he's missing the orange sand flag in the photos.