MountainRigged

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 23' JLUR 3.0L EcoDiesel
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/

Year over Year aside, the 30/90 day market trends are at a general stand-still it seems, and a slight downslope for most.

What makes Jeep, and Wrangler specifically, make such high 30&90 day numbers do you think?

I'm curious.

***Edit: UPDATE**

Days Supply: "The brands of Stellantis (red) are all overstocked"

Stellantis brand vehicles have the highest overstocked amounts by brand.

Coupled with highest 30/90 day resales, yet lots are filled with Stellantis brands.

I'm not sure what to make of that, or that they intertwine at all, what do you think?

Screenshot_20220921_152926.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
  1. A nameplate that has been around since the 1980s
  2. A heritage that can be traced to WW2
  3. Lack of direct competitors
  4. Strong owner loyalty
  5. A clearly defined brand identity
  6. It’s simply the best tool for the job
  7. The can be rebuilt and customized with ease

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
I think many of already know the answer here. It’s like the Preacher preaching to the Choir.

Name another Vehicle that has the following that a Jeep has, especially the Wrangler? There are others out there but not to the numbers that Jeep has. I look in AWE at some of the pictures and Videos from the Jeep Invasion and I kick myself for not knowing about it till 2 days before we left on Vacation! Dang, but what a showing even over the end of the week down there.

Wranglers fit a need for so many of us. Old School folks like myself that almost consider my new to me Willys as a plush comfortable ride when compared to my first Jeep in 1975. For those folks we can get now Power windows or Door Locks, no electronic nanny’s like my 2020 Subaru has.

And the BIG reason, We can make these Jeeps into anything we want and people will appreciate them for what they are.

Just today I had an older couple that were walking by my new to me Jeep and they stop and looked it over. I think the color (Bikini Pearl) lured them in. But a couple well into their 70’s saying we like you Jeep, when they drove up in a Cadillac Escalade that was much more expensive than my Jeep.

OP
OP
MountainRigged

MountainRigged

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  1. A nameplate that has been around since the 1980s
  2. A heritage that can be traced to WW2
  3. Lack of direct competitors
  4. Strong owner loyalty
  5. A clearly defined brand identity
  6. It’s just the best tool for the job
Yes I understand but I do think other brands have that as well (to a degree) with signature vehicles etc.

The strongest growth was the 2018+ models.

I'm curious about the stats here, and anyone who is a statistician I hope could chime in if it's relevant.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I understand but I do think other brands have that as well with signature vehicles etc.

The strongest growth was the 2018+ models.

I'm curious about the stats here, and anyone who is a statistician I hope could chime in if it's relevant.
You won’t find just one deciding factor.

No other vehicle has stayed true to its origins like Wrangler.

Arguably, the only other vehicle that has stuck to its original formula with the same zeal is Porsche 911, and it is just as iconic today as Jeep Wrangler.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Arguably, Mercedes G-Wagen is the only other vehicle that has stayed relatively true to its roots.
  1. Mitsubishi Montero is long dead
  2. Suzuki left the North American market
  3. Toyota Land Cruiser and 4Runner have evolved beyond recognition
  4. Nissan Pathfinder became nothing more than a bad minivan
  5. Ford Bronco has disappeared and reappeared more times than a fake Dracula on Halloween
  6. Chevy Blazer reincarnated as a crossover vehicle incapable of clearing a curb
  7. Honda and Subaru don’t build anything worth remembering for more than five minutes
  8. Hyundai and Kia are relatively new to SUVs

OP
OP
MountainRigged

MountainRigged

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Arguably, Mercedes G-Wagen is the only other vehicle that has stayed relatively true to its roots.
  1. Mitsubishi Montero is long dead
  2. Suzuki left the North American market
  3. Toyota Land Cruiser and 4Runner have evolved beyond recognition
  4. Nissan Pathfinder became nothing more than a bad minivan
  5. Ford Bronco has disappeared and reappeared more times than a fake Dracula on Halloween
  6. Chevy Blazer reincarnated as a crossover vehicle incapable of clearing a curb
  7. Honda and Subaru don’t build anything worth remembering for more than five minutes
  8. Hyundai and Kia are relatively new to SUVs
While I generally agree, this is generally represented across YoY. In addition, this is across all vehicles, not only SUVs. Such as say the F-150 or light duty class.

My question is, in the stalemate of the current time, why Is wranglers leading across the entire range of vehicles in the 30/90 day span, at nearly twice the rate. Although I suppose, Jeeps relatively limited vehicle options swings the Jeep brand higher due to less numbers to average, and the fact that they had some very good selling years lately.

Although, apparently the 1990 Wrangler is on a strong upswing as well, and I'm curious about that as well.

Interested for more information, although I took some classes on this for my Business degree, I am not entirely educated on the entire scope of things and what it means, or why things are the way they are entirely.

Deleted member 59498

Wrangler has always been top 1 or 2 in resale value. 4Runner has a high resale also.

Classic Wranglers are highly sought after right now, I think some of us that grew up with the CJs and YJ to an extent can afford them now and will buy them. I had a 78 CJ7 in late 80s as my first jeep. I would buy one now if I ran into one with a decent deal just to get out on a Saturday sometimes.

I don't think it is any more than supply and demand economically, but more importantly love for the Jeep.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Supply vs demand.

A Jeep is a vehicle in a category of its own. It's market is very bi-polar. You either want a Jeep (and nothing but a Jeep) or you do not want a Jeep. Anyone who is borderline will either choose for or against a Jeep rather quickly.

If you choose against a Jeep, you end up in a different class of vehicle with several vehicles to choose from which are acceptable. You can shop around among a greater selection of other vehicles.

If you do choose the Jeep, only a Jeep will do. That's the difference. There are many more "only a Jeep" buyers than any other vehicle. That's what keeps the resale value and why the Jeep numbers stand out. Why the supply crunches, the demand will rarely go anywhere else.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Straight axle. People know the difference more now because of the IFS Bronco. The wrangler especially the two door is in a class all by itself , there is no other straight axle two-door SUV available in the United States.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
...Ford Bronco has disappeared and reappeared more times than a fake Dracula on Halloween
⚰ ⚰ ⚰ ... 😂😂😂 I'm dead.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Supply and demand. Plus Wrangler is tempting to many who feel like they just need to try it. Some sell or trade shortly after getting one, others stay with it and replace the Wrangler with another. Also, Wrangler is very popular as a 3rd vehicle or use as a towed behind an RV or left at a vacation property.

As for the 1990 model, that’s a mystery. It was the last year of the carbureted 258, replaced in 1991 by the much improved 4.0 fuel injected engine. YJs though, are beginning to be recognized as a classic after years of suffering from a lack of appreciation.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
TL;DR: People want a cool convertible that also has 4wd.

Full story:
I had a marketing professor in college who was insanely good at his job. Of course, this was in the pre-JK era. I did most of my case studies on Jeep. He said early on in class the reason Jeep was so successful as a brand isn't just because of their vehicles; They've positioned their brand to sell an identity, a lifestyle, etc. He wasn't wrong, and This was before he knew I was into off roading. I know that whole "Jeep lifestyle" thing means something totally different now (which, I kinda despise, but that's another story...)
We would sometimes talk after class. He and his wife were on the verge of retirement and considering buying a used Jeep because they wanted something convertible to take on vacation to the Cape, but they also wanted 4wd. He said for them, for the price, and the application: it was a no brainer. I've heard this more than once from a lot of people. It's no wonder that once Jeep introduced a 4dr version of Wrangler, and have made actual technology updates to make it comparable to other "normal" vehicles on the road without compromising it's capability, that it's popularity has remained and increased.

As the saying goes if I had a nickle every time a friend or co-worker or stranger at a gas station said "I always wanted a Jeep, but..." Cost, practicality whatever kept them from doing it.
Exactly. Almost equal to the amount of those who had one and said "I miss my Jeep" or "I never should have sold my Jeep"
Sponsored