First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
I'm looking at doing oil change #2 in a couple months, so wanted to decide now on which plug brand I'm going to go. I know this isn't a choice that costs a lot, but I'd like to land on one and just stick with it.

The forum search seems to show more chatter about Fumoto, I like the "idea" of the Valcomax with the tube, but I guess keeping track of the screw on tube (i.e. remembering where you stored it) could be an issue.
Sponsored

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
I put a Fumoto on my wife's JLUR, certainly makes oil changes a lot easier, though a bit slower to get all of the oil out due to the smaller size of the drain hole. I'll take that over the mess that I normally make!

OP
OP
webwbr

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
I put a Fumoto on my wife's JLUR, certainly makes oil changes a lot easier, though a bit slower to get all of the oil out due to the smaller size of the drain hole. I'll take that over the mess that I normally make!
Ooooh… thanks. I never thought about flow rate. I’ll need to add that to my comparison or the two (if there is data on that).

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Had the Fumoto but did not install it as I did not like the way it was going to fit with my skid. Gave it away and bought the Valcomax. Ill install it at the next change.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I have the valvomax. Fits my skid nicely. Nothing wrong with it. I just store the small hose in the garage, i have a dedicated spot in my toolbox for it so I dont lose it. Worst case scenario if you lose if you can just order a replacement.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I’ve always been a Fumoto user and have nothing but good stuff to say about them. However - I did opt for the Valvomax on my JLUR at the last oil change a couple of weeks ago.

I know the likelihood of hitting the valve while rock crawling is slim to none, but I felt that the Valvomax being stainless instead of brass would be more likely to survive a hit. Storing the hose is a non-issue for me. I just put it in a ziplock bag and drop it in the space between the battery and the fender. It won’t get lost, and it’ll always be with the vehicle if for some reason I should need it away from home.

The Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XC90 dd. 87 YJ burned. 76 CJ7 sold. JKR sold
I have not picked up my JLUR yet. Can somebody throw up a pic so I can see how far this thing sticks out. I'm also interested in an easy drain 8spd pan or add on valve if that bridge has been crossed already.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
I had installed one of these for a little bit, two things bothered me about them. 1... there seemed to be almost a quart of oil retained in the pan because the threads seem to extend into the pan. And 2...I don't feel that any debris or wear material that settles on the pan gets adequately flushed out. I'm sure I'm over thinking it, but pulling the plug it just safer and easier to me.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I had installed one of these for a little bit, two things bothered me about them. 1... there seemed to be almost a quart of oil retained in the pan because the threads seem to extend into the pan. And 2...I don't feel that any debris or wear material that settles on the pan gets adequately flushed out. I'm sure I'm over thinking it, but pulling the plug it just safer and easier to me.
It seems gimmicky, but I keep a magnet on the drain pan to catch any shavings... and remove it prior to the oil change.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The Fumoto oil drain valve causes very very little to be retained in the oil pan when you drain the oil.. Yes, I have verified this...

As @melendez69, I keep a magnet attached to my JL's oil pan.

The magnet I use ..... dimensions are 3.93"L x 1.45"W x 0.43"H. The magnet has a rubberized coating.

The magnet in this foot print, fits well on the bottom of the 3.6L oil pan.

I remove the magnet, after the motor is turned off, and just prior to dropping the oil.

After the oil is dropped, the magnet goes back on the oil pan.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fumoto vs Valvomax Oil Plug Magnet.JPG

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't the drain pan aluminum?
It's cast aluminum...but someone way smarter (and I do mean way smarter) than I am can perhaps explain why it's magnetic. Professor Google mentions something about other properties that can make aluminum magnetic. I don't do well with big words.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
It's cast aluminum...but someone way smarter (and I do mean way smarter) than I am can perhaps explain why it's magnetic. Professor Google mentions something about other properties that can make aluminum magnetic. I don't do well with big words.
Ya man, if you have a magnet stuck to cast aluminum, it isn't aluminum. Lol.
Sponsored