Best configuration for basic comforts

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Get them. For highway driving the Advances Safety Group makes a big difference in comfort.

ACC is fantastic, especially in slightly congested highway traffic with an auto trans. It will bring you from 75 to a dead stop and back to 75 while you just sit there and watch. It's really comfortable.

I find the side vehicle detection really useful for a reason I didn't expect. When some bonehead camps in your blind spot they will see the yellow light on your side view mirror. It often makes them move on their own, thinking it's some kind of turn signal. You usually don't have to adjust your speed or change lanes to get them out of there.
One thing to think about ACC doesn't necessarily work well with a manual transmission...
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
My budget is roughly $40k, however I can stretch it a tad bit. I'm looking for a good build for basic comforts on highway driving, as there is a chance I could be making long drives to work a few times a week. I don't need anything extraordinarily good at offroading - stock Sport will fill my needs.

I'm thinking the Sport S (to get power locks and remote entry) is worth it, 2 door, automatic, hard top.

The other package that seems recommended is the trailer tow as it's a pain to do yourself later on.

LED headlamps seem like something I can install later on much cheaper than the $1,295 package.

The safety group, as well as advanced safety group, are 2 I'm on the fence about. I've never driven a car extensively with any of those safety features, but it seems like it would make highway driving a little bit less of a pain. Cold weather group does not seem worth it to me at all even though I am in a cold/snowy climate.

Any recommendations or thoughts? That build with both safety groups runs around $45k.
here are my views that are based on my 2019 jl base sport. the only options i got are the a/c. 8 spd auto, xm, and hard top. 3.6l motor. msrp $34,325. got it for $32k. this is my daily driver and road tripper. i'm not into all the bells and whistles that are avaliable for the wrangler due to the extra cost and protential issues down the road, since the jl is a long term ownership. also i can mod it the way i want it. i'm more for the basic functional requirement vs cosmetic. as a side note. i came from a 07 jeep grand cherokee.

the 2 door is very functional for its size and very comfortable to drive in. i've done a couple of long trips and the jl have done well on the interstate and the mpg are great. average 23-29.7 mpg at 70 mph. in my opinion the 3.6 and 8 spd auto is the best combo. the 4wd is awesome due to the fact i've gone into work when the roads havent been plowed. i have the manual windows and door locks. i'm just as happy with them. the jl came with the halogen headlights, but swap in led bulbs from supernova from headlight revolution. i love em and cost $348 for the headlights and fog lights. another alternative for led bulbs would be from beamtech. i added a trailer hitch but didnt do the wiring yet. other things i added are the steel front and rear bumpers, winch and aux lights with my switch set up. that whats i'm currently running now. as soon as the tires wears out. i'll be upgrading to 33s.

as for the safety group and other options that you have mentions, i dont have them. i personally dont like them. also there have been issues with them. the jl heats up in 5 mins in the colder winter months. the 5" radio with the xm is all i need. also my jl did not have the limited slip and tbh, its not really worth it. you have the brake limited slip that works just as well.

before i got my jl, i did test drive a sport s jlu with the bells and whistle. msrp $47,000. i looked at the options and said to myself that i'm not gonna be using any of it. so to me, it was a waste of money.

so, i'm very happy with no regrets in going base on the jl. i dont miss anything. i like keeping things plain and simple. i'm looking at a possible 2nd wrangler either another jl or a jlu and it will be a base sport just like my current jl. i may consider a base sport willys, but most likely sticking with a sport. i've toyed with the idea on getting a base sport gladiator as well. i wish they offered it in a 2 door version.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Can you get the Sport with power windows/locks anymore? It looks like getting the half doors with uppers adds that option, but that doesn't seem like something I want
At least in 2020 you could if you got the Tech package. As I don't plan on buying another Jeep for a while I haven't been keeping up with changing options/packags from year to year.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I opted out of the safety groups because I find them irritating and always turn off every safety feature I can. They have not once saved me in other cars and often startle me to the point that I almost make a mistake. Perhaps that’s because I’m not very used to them. Also, they can get in the way of other mods or lose functionality depending on the direction you go with your build.

I love my factory LED’s. They look great and are more than bright enough for me. Yes, you can find aftermarket alternatives, but I didn’t mind the price point for the LED fog lights and headlights… although I quickly swapped fogs for Baja Designs. I’m not sure that the Sport S will get LED taillights without one of the safety packages, but that was also very important to me. I can deal with poor forward visibility and slow down, but I want to make sure whoever is following me sees me brake. If you’re in the fence and it doesn’t include LED tail lights, I would pass.

I think cold weather package is 100% worth it as I like the top and doors off my Jeep as much as possible and this helps me stretch the season a bit and endure cold mornings/evenings for that perfect weather mid day.

Tow package is worth it for the bigger alternator (non eTorque models) and AUX switches, but if you aren’t adding accessories, you can find a cheaper alternative for a tow hitch pretty easily, or even retrofit the switches later. In ~10 years of Jeep ownership I have towed something maybe 5 times. Typically if I’m going to tow, I use a truck.

Sponsored

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Sport 2-Door, 2019 Honda Odyssey
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lead Pastor, County Projects Coordinator, and Former 88N10 in US Army
I went with a 2023 2-door Willys Sport in Sarge with the Hard Top and HD Electrical Group with Tow Package. That's it. I grew up in the early 90s. I still remember a time before all vehicles had power windows, locks, or adaptive cruise control growing up, let alone cell phones and internet in every house. I miss those days a lot. My 2019 Tacoma has all those features, but I find myself rarely using them because I drive almost exclusively highway rather than interstate. If most days in the Summer will be spent topless and doorless, then what is the point of power windows and locks? I had an opportunity to hearken back to a simpler time. I took it. I will add aftermarket remote start for winter time at a later date if possible with the manual locks. If not, oh well.

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
I'm not a fan of Jeep's safety packages. I have them on my GC and they are more of a pain than they are of any practical use for my commutes. If you are an attentive and alert driver in your commutes, I don't see the need to have those packages. I didn't option them into my new JL build and won't miss them 😆 Just be mindful that this thing is not going to stop like your Acura TL (loved zipping around in mine back in the day btw) and leave extra distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. Not sure how often or recently you've driven an SUV sized vehicle, is why I mention that.

I left off the tow group, but that's only because I don't plan to tow anything, ever. Never have, never will. If you think you'll tow something at some point, definitely worth getting the package as it will be better integrated than anything you add aftermarket imo. The only thing that I sort of regret is the fact that if I want to add AUX switches aftermarket, it seems like it will be somewhat of a pain from what I've been reading on the forums.

Cold weather package is mostly a waste of money on this vehicle imo, unless you want an included remote-start on your automatic. But you can add that cheaper with the Convenience Group instead if you have a garage. I think it just depends on your tolerances (and that of your SO 😅 ) If you've lived in cold climate without them on your previous vehicles, I think you'll be fine.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Using that logic, police officers wouldn't wear ballistic vests. :)
That’s a fair point, but I think that’s a better comparison for whether or not to wear a seatbelt.

I’m not a fan of a computer making decisions for me, with the exception of an automatic transmission. An automatic has yet to put me in a hazardous situation; whereas, I’ve had “nanny” features malfunction in Toyotas, Cadillacs, and Fords that almost caused an accident. The scariest being Ford’s lane centering trying to pull me off an icy road in Michigan. It wasn’t my vehicle so I didn’t know how to turn it off, but since then it’s put a bad taste in my mouth.

I’m not opposed to trying some of the safety features if the vehicle comes with them, but I won’t pay for them if I can help it.

usmamg

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Corvette, 2022 Rubicon ER
Get them. For highway driving the Advances Safety Group makes a big difference in comfort.

ACC is fantastic, especially in slightly congested highway traffic with an auto trans. It will bring you from 75 to a dead stop and back to 75 while you just sit there and watch. It's really comfortable.

I find the side vehicle detection really useful for a reason I didn't expect. When some bonehead camps in your blind spot they will see the yellow light on your side view mirror. It often makes them move on their own, thinking it's some kind of turn signal. You usually don't have to adjust your speed or change lanes to get them out of there.
I agree. I have ACC on all of my cars. For long trips it is great. No fatigue, your legs feel good and it increases your safety. Of course, I am still vigilant and keep my. Yes on the road, but this feature greatly increases your safety.
Side vehicle detection is another great feature that watches your blind spot.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I love the 2-door, but wouldn’t be my first choice for lots of highway driving. Where the 2-door shines is driving around town and on the trails. The 4-door tracks much more straight at freeway speeds.

If you want the LEDs get them from the factory. You won’t save any money getting them later, but it will save you a ton of headaches.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I have and Id want…
Auto Trans
A/C
Alpine
Cruise Control
Power Windows
Safety Package but not Advanced Safety
LEDs is you drive much at night

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Get the limited slip (I believe it includes more aggressive tires-mine did in 20) and the cold weather package on an “S”. If I was buying today I might go for the safety package-you don’t “need” it but it would be nice to have. In 20 my S came with cruise and power windows- I don’t “think” they were options but were standard. Little JL will work great. If you have not driven a fair bit on the slab in a Jeep, do yourself a favor and do so before you buy. Jeeps are great-I love mine and most folks here do, BUT they are NOT for everybody. The stiff suspension, short wheelbase makes for a very different ride than most folks are used to. That’s the price you pay for exceptional performance off road and in snow. Good luck and enjoy the ride👍

OP
OP

Thifty

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accura TL
I love the 2-door, but wouldn’t be my first choice for lots of highway driving. Where the 2-door shines is driving around town and on the trails. The 4-door tracks much more straight at freeway speeds.

If you want the LEDs get them from the factory. You won’t save any money getting them later, but it will save you a ton of headaches.
seems like from what I’ve read, 2 vs 4 door does not make a huge difference on the Highway? Even though logically it would.
As for LEDs, I have to imagine it would significantly cheaper than $1200 to install them or have someone do it for you
Sponsored