Best configuration for basic comforts

Thifty

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accura TL
My budget is roughly $40k, however I can stretch it a tad bit. I'm looking for a good build for basic comforts on highway driving, as there is a chance I could be making long drives to work a few times a week. I don't need anything extraordinarily good at offroading - stock Sport will fill my needs.

I'm thinking the Sport S (to get power locks and remote entry) is worth it, 2 door, automatic, hard top.

The other package that seems recommended is the trailer tow as it's a pain to do yourself later on.

LED headlamps seem like something I can install later on much cheaper than the $1,295 package.

The safety group, as well as advanced safety group, are 2 I'm on the fence about. I've never driven a car extensively with any of those safety features, but it seems like it would make highway driving a little bit less of a pain. Cold weather group does not seem worth it to me at all even though I am in a cold/snowy climate.

Any recommendations or thoughts? That build with both safety groups runs around $45k.
Sponsored

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
Eh, I opted not to get the safety packages, as nothing replaces a well aware, sober & alert driver. Save yourself the cash I say.

I did briefly consider getting the basic safely group for advanced cruise control, but once I found out that cruise control comes standard (with Rubicon, double check for sport s) I just shrugged my shoulders and figured good enough for me.

OP
OP

Thifty

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accura TL
Eh, I opted not to get the safety packages, as nothing replaces a well aware, sober & alert driver. Save yourself the cash I say.

I did briefly consider getting the basic safely group for advanced cruise control, but once I found out that cruise control comes standard (with Rubicon, double check for sport s) I just shrugged my shoulders and figured good enough for me.
Ya if it does not have standard cruise control then it's a must get. I think it does though

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Myself I skipped safety groups and got the cold weather package. Has worked well on both of the JL's I have owned. I just look carefully before changing lanes :) Plus I rarely use any of those items in the safety group like cruise control etc.

LEDs are also nice to have.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Get them. For highway driving the Advances Safety Group makes a big difference in comfort.

ACC is fantastic, especially in slightly congested highway traffic with an auto trans. It will bring you from 75 to a dead stop and back to 75 while you just sit there and watch. It's really comfortable.

I find the side vehicle detection really useful for a reason I didn't expect. When some bonehead camps in your blind spot they will see the yellow light on your side view mirror. It often makes them move on their own, thinking it's some kind of turn signal. You usually don't have to adjust your speed or change lanes to get them out of there.

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
Cold weather package and whatever does the adaptive cruise control. Don't even think about it, just do it. The seats and steering wheel get HOT, and the adaptive cruise especially on long trips is more than worth it. Remote start is nice and all, but I only ever use it when I think far enough ahead and its stupid cold out.

Also LED lights, I have them on mine and they are great, no experience with halogen option on Jeeps, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a single opinion that says they are sufficient in this day and age. Why they even exist post 2018+ or so is kind of a mystery.

Last edited:

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I bought a 2020 sport new with IT package, and cold weahter package. Has power windowns/locks, digital dash, 7" screen and heated seats/wheel. Total came to 39 something and I paid 38k. I daily drive it and it has everything I need.
**Note, options/package have changed since 2020. I'm just pointing this out to say don't sleep on a base sport with some options.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Thifty

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accura TL
I bought a 2020 sport new with IT package, and cold weahter package. Has power windowns/locks, digital dash, 7" screen and heated seats/wheel. Total came to 39 something and I paid 38k. I daily drive it and it has everything I need.
**Note, options/package have changed since 2020. I'm just pointing this out to say don't sleep on a base sport with some options.
Can you get the Sport with power windows/locks anymore? It looks like getting the half doors with uppers adds that option, but that doesn't seem like something I want

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I have both safety groups and they work FLAWLESSLY. The only thing that hasn't made an appearance yet for me is the emergency braking. Is a little under $2K worth the peace of mind? You sure don't want to be looking at the aftermath of an oh-shit (or worse) and say "If only I had the safety nannies..."

It's an even easier decision if you have a family.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Tow package is an insane deal. Not only do you get the buttons prewired, but also a beefier battery/alternator.

I love the ACC and use it constantly.

LEDs, as you mention, can be cheaply added on later if necessary.

Once you build your ideal Sport S, build the next trim level up and try to match features - often it'll actually be cheaper to get a base level higher trim than a fully loaded lower trim, with the same features.

Kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Ram W250
For myself, the cold weather group was a must have. I've got the 6spd manual so it's only the heated seats and steering wheel but I use them all the time here in northern MT.

I've never cared for the safety group stuff so opted against. All the ruckus it makes is just a distraction for me. My wife's car has it and I just shut it off as much as her car allows whenever I have to drive her car, but some really like it.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've never cared for the safety group stuff so opted against. All the ruckus it makes is just a distraction for me.
Mine only makes audio alerts if you are about to do something dumb; like back into someone, or lane-change into someone in your blindspot, or crash into something head-on. In other words, the (very occasional) ruckus is worth it. But then again, I embraced anti-lock brakes from the get-go even though some Luddites pooh-poohed them initially. And, I've NEVER had a false alarm.

Now...lane-assist, which is not in the Wrangler packages, I agree is a PITA.
Sponsored