Sponsored

If the standard option was a fixed windshield would you pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield

If the standard option was a fixed windshield would you pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

mtnsurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Ford Expedition, 2018 JLUR Punk'n
To me the folding windshield seems kind of like a hold over and gimmick. I also think it leads to some of the problems people are experiencing with wind noise and leaking. This got me thinking how many people really want it or will use it? Would you be willing to pay extra for that feature?

If the standard option was a fixed windshield would you pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield?
Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
"Standard option" is an oxymoron. If a feature is standard, it isn't an option; if it's an option, it isn't standard. I know what you meant, though, and no, I wouldn't pay more for a folding windshield.

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
An extra $100? Sure why not as in the grand scheme of things it really wouldn't make a difference in the overall price.

It's part of the Jeep heritage and I'd be glad to keep it for that amount of money.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’d gladly pay $100 for it NOT to fold and eliminate the wind noise if that were an option. I doubt mine will ever be dropped. Possibly once, just because. Maybe if it were designed to fold flatter or less obtrusively I would want to.

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I’d gladly pay $100 for it NOT to fold and eliminate the wind noise if that were an option. I doubt mine will ever be dropped. Possibly once, just because. Maybe if it were designed to fold flatter or less obtrusively I would want to.
I agree, mine will never be dropped, for me it is an unnecessary extra expense and complexity.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have never folded down a windshield on a Jeep and I don't consider it to be a particularly important part of the Jeep heritage.

But then again I was OK with square headlights.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
If I was concerned about wind noise, I wouldn't by a jeep. I never folded my windshield on my JK, but only because it was such a pain. I might fold it down if I get a JL, but probably not often.

I've heard the power retractable top is not removable - I wonder if the windshield doesn't fold down? I wonder if there is a market for a fixed top/windshield wrangler as I assume there are lots of hardtops that have never been removed?

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Had two YJs. Not once did I feel the urge to drop that windshield, however, the JL looks so simple that I might do it. Still wouldn't pay extra for it. It's a Jeep. Of coarse it's windshield should fold, silly question. :)

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I was disappointed when I found out I had to remove 26 or so bolts to drop the JK windshield. I am happy they have made it easier with a total of 6 bolts. This fact that the windshield folds is not the reason for the wind noise. People have been finding issues with seals that have NOTHING to do with the windshield folding.

To me this would be like asking if you would pay an extra X dollars to create a Jeep Wrangler with a solid top and no option to remove it as well as non removable doors. Well if you do that it is not a Jeep Wrangler. It is not a gimmick to have the windshield fold down, it is what a Jeep Wrangler is and has always been.

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
FE33D325-2A88-41B2-919F-953FCDBCF27E.jpeg
I just folded my windshield down for the first time yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've owned a TJ and a JK and never folded it down, but it was so easy on the JL and I had everything else removed so I figured why not.

There is nothing like driving down the road in a full size auto with the wind in your face. Makes me want to order a pair of flying goggles. It does look kind of goofy folded onto the hood, but you can easily remove it entirely with an extra two bolts at the hinges.

I will warn you though, after about 50-55 mph you better have it tied down or the windshield will "reapply itself" to the tune of you $hitting your pants. Ask me how I know. Although nothing was damaged, surprisingly, it's not an experience I plan to repeat.

To answer your question, yes I'd pay for it. Will be very cool on the trail.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I just folded my windshield down for the first time yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've owned a TJ and a JK and never folded it down, but it was so easy on the JL and I had everything else removed so I figured why not.

There is nothing like driving down the road in a full size auto with the wind in your face. Makes me want to order a pair of flying goggles. It does look kind of goofy folded onto the hood, but you can easily remove it entirely with an extra two bolts at the hinges.

I will warn you though, after about 50-55 mph you better have it tied down or the windshield will "reapply itself" to the tune of you $hitting your pants. Ask me how I know. Although nothing was damaged, surprisingly, it's not an experience I plan to repeat.

There are straps to secure the windshield to the hood. :)

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)

I ride motorcycles. I like wind - a lot. For the life of me, I just can’t imagine why I would want to drive around with the windshield down on my Jeep.

Thanks for the warning, but I knew this without even experimenting. By the way, you will really want some first rate cushioning and tie-downs for the windshield if you do this on rough roads/trails.
Sponsored