Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Duck Duck Jeep®: Jeep Brand Makes Waves at the Detroit Auto Show, Hosts the World’s Largest Duck in Huntington Place Square
  • Many in the Jeep® brand community are known to “duck” each other’s vehicles in appreciation of their Jeep 4x4 vehicles
  • Jeep brand will make waves with the world’s largest duck on site of Huntington Place Square beginning Wednesday, September 14, where it will remain during the entirety of the North American International Auto Show
  • Fans can visit Jeep brand activation site at Huntington Place Square to take photos with the world’s largest duck and receive their own rubber duck (while supplies last)
  • Additionally, Detroit’s own Milk & Froth Ice Cream has developed three Jeep brand-inspired ice cream flavors to be handed out during the first weekend of the auto show (Friday, September 16 – Sunday, September 18) while supplies last
  • The “dessert-rated” flavors include Snazzberry, Electric Lemon Custard and Trail Tracks
September 12, 2022 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Jeep® 4×4 owners are a friendly bunch. It’s one reason they like to give a little wave as they pass each other on the street or the trail. That comradery has taken flight the last few years with many in the Jeep brand community now known to “duck” each other’s vehicles to show their appreciation for their rides.

During this year’s first-ever, indoor/outdoor Detroit Auto Show at Huntington Place & Hart Plaza, Jeep vehicle owners and enthusiasts can take pictures alongside the world’s largest duck and receive their own rubber duck to keep or gift (while supplies last) during the event’s first weekend (Sept. 17-18) while checking out the Jeep brand’s vehicle lineup in downtown Detroit.

The six-story (61-foot tall), 69-foot wide, 79-foot long “world’s largest duck,” weighing in at more than 8,000 pounds, will be on display in Huntington Place Square during the entire Detroit Auto Show. Fans can post photos across social media channels with the hashtag #duckduckJeep to get in on the fun, potentially win prizes and enter a national sweepstakes.

Consumers will also have the opportunity to sample three Jeep brand-inspired “dessert-rated” ice cream flavors created in partnership with Detroit’s own Milk & Froth Ice Cream. The ice cream flavors – Snazzberry, Electric Lemon Custard and Trail Tracks – will be handed out during the first weekend of the auto show (Friday, September 16 through Sunday, September 18) while supplies last.

In addition, both the popular Camp Jeep and Ram Truck Territory indoor test tracks will make their debut at the Detroit Auto Show. These interactive test tracks attract thousands of people and are sure to be fan favorites at the upcoming show.

Attendees who register to participate in any Stellantis experience at the Detroit Auto Show are automatically entered for a chance to win a $100,000 voucher toward an eligible Jeep brand vehicle from Stellantis. A winner will be randomly selected in 2023.

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 8.27.00 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 8.25.49 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 8.25.39 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 8.26.05 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 8.26.17 AM.jpg
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So is Jeep saying to all of the grumps who hate ducking and say “It’s not a Jeep thing, it’s just some lady on Facebook!” that they can officially STFU now?

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Kind of sad in a way. I’m old but I remember when Jeep focused on being a basic, rugged vehicle, built for the outdoorsman, the guy who worked in the back of beyond, etc., while always reminding folks of their heritage from WW2- now we’ve got a rubber duckie. Cute, but not quite the same😳. Oh well, different strokes for different folks😊

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
I never really understood the ducking thing. I don't really care for it but I'm also not going to be a dick about it either and toss them away right in front of whoever put it on my Jeep. I was at a restaurant one time and some dude was quite excited to duck my Jeep. Just a little piece of rubber, I put it in my Jeep and went about my day. I'll probably give them all to my parents for their ankle biter dogs to have a toy.

Slev

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
Ducking as far as I know hasn’t really taken off here in Canada the wave was good for awhile but see a lot of new Jeeps on the road and no acknowledgement. Wonder if Jeep dealers should pass along these little tips to new owners.

Sponsored

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
I never really understood the ducking thing. I don't really care for it but I'm also not going to be a dick about it either and toss them away right in front of whoever put it on my Jeep. I was at a restaurant one time and some dude was quite excited to duck my Jeep. Just a little piece of rubber, I put it in my Jeep and went about my day. I'll probably give them all to my parents for their ankle biter dogs to have a toy.
Cliff notes version is a dude in a MINI group was enamored with a giant duck statue in Long Island and would give all the new people he encountered at different MINI gatherings a rubber duck.

After the guy passed away, people still traded ducks as an act of camaraderie.

https://www.minisontop.org/why-the-duck/

The Jeep Mafia used to(and still does as far as I know) leave Koozies on other Jeeps. So The act of leaving a trinket on another vehicle isn't necessarily new, and if it wasn't ducks it would have been something else.

Last edited:

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Sponsored

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
I thought the duck stuff was kinda dumb as well, but my kids are really into it. They get excited every time our jeep gets a duck, and they love passing the ducks onto other jeeps we run across.

So, i'm onboard with the ducking. If that's what it takes to put a smile one someone's face, then go for it.

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
I was ambivalent about ducking, but got ducked for the first time this week while in a Harbor Freight and I must admit - it made my day.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I was ambivalent about ducking, but got ducked for the first time this week while in a Harbor Freight and I must admit - it made my day.
Exactly this. Its just something some people have adopted to show appreciation for your rig/build. I dont mind it at all. Usually when I get one, I pass it on to the next 7 slotted beast I run across.

Terrymo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6 ET
Clubs

The dog with the duck on his head in the original post looks pissed
Sponsored