Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
The more I look at the picture, the more it looks like a Bronco, are you sure Ford isn't building it?
Sponsored

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler
This is going to sell very well. Let's be honest, the real reason most consumers love EVs is not about the environment, it's about less vehicle maintenance overall. No more going to stealerships for oil changes, fuel filters, leaks, etc.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
This is going to sell very well. Let's be honest, the real reason most consumers love EVs is not about the environment, it's about less vehicle maintenance overall. No more going to stealerships for oil changes, fuel filters, leaks, etc.
And performance. Most Evs have forced induction v8 level performance. I know not the point of a wrangler but my 4xe running just electric would toast my old JKs.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Less periodic maintenance I agree with. Less maintenance overall I think is yet to be determined. What I don't like is that the maintenance that can be done by average Joe in his garage is shrinking drastically with more and more components being computerized, and EVs take that to he next level.

But I also agree, I think this will sell well. It doesn't look bad... but I doubt we'll see many rolling around with the doors off.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Less periodic maintenance I agree with. Less maintenance overall I think is yet to be determined. What I don't like is that the maintenance that can be done by average Joe in his garage is shrinking drastically with more and more components being computerized, and EVs take that to he next level.

But I also agree, I think this will sell well. It doesn't look bad... but I doubt we'll see many rolling around with the doors off.
I'm not sure what possible increase in maintenance there cold be, unless I am missing something. I guess the weight could have a negative impact on tires and suspension causing them to be replaced sooner, but no oil, no coolant, brakes should last longer. The long term reliability is yet to be determined, and repairs may be complicated and require specialized equipment, but that is true for about every new vehicle.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I think on the charging front, that in the next decade, wireless charging will become common.

Many people still have the mindset of a gas station fill-up concept, but with EVs, there could be charging pads in parking lots at most stores, which give you a little boost while just running your errands. Nightly charging at home, plug ins at malls, restaurants, etc.

I think the concept of long charging wait times will be mostly for long distance travelers needing to fill up an empty battery, even then, charging times are decreasing quickly. Who couldn't use a 15-20 minutes break after driving 300-500 miles?

I live in South Florida and have solar on my house, I could essentially charge for free most of the time. I would buy an EV if I could get one with 300+ mile range at a decent price. I was looking at the Ford Lightning, but I just don't really need a full size PU.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!

Flybaby

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I'm not sure what possible increase in maintenance there cold be, unless I am missing something. I guess the weight could have a negative impact on tires and suspension causing them to be replaced sooner, but no oil, no coolant, brakes should last longer. The long term reliability is yet to be determined, and repairs may be complicated and require specialized equipment, but that is true for about every new vehicle.
Brakes will not last longer as the weight of the vehicle will certainly be increased. Also, there will be separate cooling lines in order to maintain the battery temperatures and stop overheating. That coolant will also need serviced at certain intervals. Also, and worst of all, what do you think it will cost to replace those main batteries. Many people have already learned the hard and very expensive way.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Brakes will not last longer as the weight of the vehicle will certainly be increased. Also, there will be separate cooling lines in order to maintain the battery temperatures and stop overheating. That coolant will also need serviced at certain intervals. Also, and worst of all, what do you think it will cost to replace those main batteries. Many people have already learned the hard and very expensive way.
Battery prices are decreasing and many Tesla’s have gone 200,000 miles on the original pack. Battery guaranties are typically 8 years…and most people buying new cars don’t keep them more than 4 or 5 years anyway. Regenerative braking saves the brakes from premature wear and pads a rotors can be sized larger to slow down any additional wear than might occur. EVs have a downside (charging inconvenience and range) but are vastly superior from a maintenance perspective IMHO.

Flybaby

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
"This machine is required to move 500 tons of earth/ ore which will be refined into one lithium car battery. It burns 900-1000 gallons of fuel in a 12 hour shift.

Lithium is refined from ore using sulfuric acid. The proposed lithium mine at Thacker Pass is estimated to require up to 75 semi loads of sulfuric acid a day! The acid does not turn into unicorn food like AOC believes.

A battery in an electric car, lets say an average Tesla, is made of 25 pounds of lithium, 60 pounds of nickel, 44 pounds of manganese, 30 pounds of cobalt, 200 pounds of copper, and 400 pounds of aluminum, steel, and plastic, etc...... averaging 750-1,000 pounds

of minerals, that had to be mined and processed into a battery that merely stores electricity..... Electricity which is generated by oil, gas, coal, nuclear, or water (and a tiny fraction of wind and solar)....

That is the truth, about the lie, of "green" energy.

Jeep Wrangler JL ⚡️ 2024 Jeep Recon EV Revealed! (Off-Road Capable BEV) *** ⚠️ WARNING: NO POLITICS *** Ore miner

Sponsored

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Regenerative braking increases brake life. Coolant would depend on the design but Tesla claims you don't have to change for the life of the vehicle. Others have different intervals.

Replacing a battery is not maintenance, unless you consider an engine replacement standard maintenance. If you do consider it routine maintenance engine replacement is also expensive and has a shorter warranty

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Hard to believe I deleted my post last week after seeing the "no politics" warning only to find all this bullshit added afterwards :crying:
Pretty sure the post was about an all electric Jeep but that got lost somewhere in the thread
Well, at least it isn't hostile yet, I've gotten into those and its a bad deal all around

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
Did anyone else catch the video? What do you think of the Recon? I'd love to see all the details but I think at first glance it's a good looking vehicle. Hopefully it lives up to the heritage.

Looks like it is part Wrangler, Renegade and the Liberty.

The girl on the BMX bike in the beginning and the end of the video, is a friend of mines daughter. She got $5k for that shoot, not bad for a 9 year old. Her father is pro BMX'r from UK. Apparently she's very good as well.

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Tide
Occupation
US Merchant Marine Master, 100T
Vehicle Showcase
Ralph Gilles has been my favorite designer for quite a while. The latest generation Viper, Charger, 300C and Challenger were all under his watch. I am not impressed with his Jeep Recon with an excessive use of vertical and horizontal surfaces, flat as can be, with no real character or surface tension. It makes a Ford Bronco look much better (compare just the hoods on each) and I have not been a fan of that big Ford box. I like the look of the first electric Jeep going to Europe. What happened to our BEV for the USA? I expected more from Ralph Gilles and team.
As far as the Jeep engineers are concerned, I don't know enough about the capabilities of the Recon yet. I do know that it looks big, heavy, and complex (and the design does not help, Mr. Gilles) which all strongly suggests that the Recon will be too expensive. If it is only $10K less than a 2023 C8 Corvette (at $71K base), well, something is quite wrong in Jeepland. We'll see.
I also observe with some trepidation that Jim Morrison has a new French boss. OK, I know who owns Stellatis but it is starting to feel a bit heavy handed to me. I am thrilled that the Europeans are getting excited about Jeep. That is great. And BEV does not bother me though right now I personally prefer a PHEV. I was just looking for more style to go with the new Jeep BEV capabilities. The new Recon makes a Wrangler (now in its sixth model year) look ... stylish. Isn´t that interesting.
Sponsored