Sponsored

What is JLU's actual fuel tank capacity?

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Ha! I remember that thread! That OP was totally fine with what happened and said he/she typically runs to empty. Everyone else here flipped out. What a world we live in.
I remember that thread also!! The OP was perfectly fine while others were losing their minds
Sponsored

shindleria235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
this is for '19 JLU 2.0L:

I came uncomfortably close to running out last week, was planning to fill up but then had a last-minute appointment. I usually fill up at half-tank but just had done an oil change, and wanted to throw some snake oil in there too. when I've run low in the past, I've put 20-21 gal in, especially when i really top it off on long trips or to use all my grocery bonus points. i'm also paranoid bc of some past-vehicle fuel system issues, plus the pipeline hack shortages last summer, so I have an exterior jerry can to assuage my fears of getting truly stuck.

all that said, here's my 'below redline:'
Jeep Wrangler JL What is JLU's actual fuel tank capacity? IMG_20220505_185344279_HDR

and here's my filling it up almost to the top of the tank feeder:
Jeep Wrangler JL What is JLU's actual fuel tank capacity? IMG_20220505_190419102

I did have a little splashback, but my final verdict on the 4-door is 21.5 gallons.

don't be like me, friendos. "fuel is your friend" as my retired pilot father likes to say. and maybe it's placebo, but i swear she drives better with weight in her belly.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Wow. I have driven for 20+ miles when estimated range shows "low fuel" and I have barely gotten to 20.1 gallons. I always heard the JLU had a 21.5 gallon tank.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Running super low on fuel or out of fuel completely is terrible for your fuel pump. It uses fuel as a lubricant. I have a 21.5 gallon tank. I average around 22.5 actual (not what guess o' meters says) so I have a good idea when I'm 18 gallons down. That's where I like to fuel up leaving 3 gallons in the tank.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 392
Occupation
IT
I know this is old but Iā€™m so confused.
22 2.0 JLU.
Was at 35 range and 3% per the app left and was only able to fill to 17.4 gal.

Sponsored

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I run 1/4 tank or more..........to maintain a sufficient level for fuel pump...... Remember the gas tank installed under the JLU /4 door runs the length of the Jeep.

When installing the longarm kit. I ran the tank on E. However, the tank is so long on this vehicle, you can have a several gallons in it and the fuel barely covers the bottom of the tank.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 392
Occupation
IT
Doing the math I don't think the JLU's have a 21.5 gal tank. At least I do not believe mine does.

Each time i fill up my range resets to about 390-400 at most. Normally it's 370. This is with me averaging about 20.5mpg per fill up.

EPA has the city mpg at 22 and hwy at 24. Taking that 22 by 18 gal (2dr capacity) puts me right at that estimated range with 396 miles.

If say i had the 21.5 gal tank I should times that same 22 mpg i'd be seeing a range estimate of 473 miles.

Has anyone after filling up seen the calculated range that high? Did Jeep run out of 21.5 gal fuel tanks and just standardize on the 18?

Edit: Looks like my mpg estimates were based on the wrong trim. Per Jeep's site the Rubicon is at 19mpg combined. Using that 21.5x19 puts is 408 miles of range. However at 23mpg hwy times that same 21.5 gal tank max range would be 494 miles.

Still seems like something is off. I just need to stop thinking about it.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Doing the math I don't think the JLU's have a 21.5 gal tank. At least I do not believe mine does.

Each time i fill up my range resets to about 390-400 at most. Normally it's 370. This is with me averaging about 20.5mpg per fill up.
It's simple really. The computer doesn't want you to run out of gas, and wants to maintain a safe reserve of fuel. So it doesn't count that reserve, the amount left in the bottom of the tank, when calculating range, or miles-to-empty.

To see the actual capacity of the tank, scroll up a few posts to where @shindleria235 really-really-really ran down to empty and filled up to the top of the neck.

But that's not the number the computer uses when showing you numbers on the dash.

shindleria235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU

EPA has the city mpg at 22 and hwy at 24. Taking that 22 by 18 gal (2dr capacity) puts me right at that estimated range with 396 miles.

If say i had the 21.5 gal tank I should times that same 22 mpg i'd be seeing a range estimate of 473 miles.

Has anyone after filling up seen the calculated range that high? Did Jeep run out of 21.5 gal fuel tanks and just standardize on the 18?

Edit: Looks like my mpg estimates were based on the wrong trim. Per Jeep's site the Rubicon is at 19mpg combined. Using that 21.5x19 puts is 408 miles of range. However at 23mpg hwy times that same 21.5 gal tank max range would be 494 miles.

Yes, frequently when I fill up, my range is ~450-490. Sometimes when the weather's been just right and I drive like a granny, then top off, the fuel calculator puts me just over 500.

Haven't seen that in a while though, probably because I've attached and packed in too much $&%# that the weight/drag is catching up with me. The computer's pretty smart though, it does revise the estimate down to 400-450 (or even the upper 300's) when I've done a lot of in-town runaround or idling, and driven down the mpg.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 392
Occupation
IT
Yes, frequently when I fill up, my range is ~450-490. Sometimes when the weather's been just right and I drive like a granny, then top off, the fuel calculator puts me just over 500.

Haven't seen that in a while though, probably because I've attached and packed in too much $&%# that the weight/drag is catching up with me. The computer's pretty smart though, it does revise the estimate down to 400-450 (or even the upper 300's) when I've done a lot of in-town runaround or idling, and driven down the mpg.
Cool. I've not seen those numbers.

Yeah i read a few threads that the computer will put range at 'low miles' and be 'empty' but really there is 3-4 gal in the tank.

A bit liberal if you ask me but it is what it is.

Sponsored

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
It'll let you use somewhere between 20.5 and 21 of those 21.5 gallons of capacity. Trust me. ;) (I've been mentioned a couple times in this thread.)

I'm still getting over 400 miles per tank and usually putting about 18 gal in when I fill it. Manual 3.6L 2018 JLU. Averaging 22 mpg, more in summer, less in winter.

DKAwildcat

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara, 2008 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster, & 2015 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve wondered just how much fuel is left in the tank when the low fuel warning light comes on and the other day I found out. At the time I was getting a little over 20 miles/gallon and it indicated an estimated 60 miles of range remaining. The pump shut off after 18 gallons were put in the tank. So now I know it comes on with 3.5 gallons remaining.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
The tank is 21.5 gallons. I've learned that with mine, it is nowhere near completely full when the gas pump auto stops. For pumps that pump slowly when hand held I can get another 2.5 to 3 gallons in after it auto stops. It can take 4-5 minutes after the pump auto stops to do this. More and more pumps around where I live pump too fast to do this.

I think the most I've put in was 20.8 gallons or so, that was fully topped off being able to see gas at the top.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

šŸ˜µ

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I was the one who ran out of gas and posted the thread that eventually got closed (thank you, @Chocolate Thunder), so I can speak with authority here: I was able to put 21 gal in it afterward.
I believe one other member admitted to running out, and IIR he was able to put about 20.5 gal in.
My recent averages on fillups have been 19 gal (430+ miles :rock:), after running 30 or so miles with the gas pump showing on the dash. That means mine shows me the gas pump with 75-80 miles range still left. That hasn't varied since I got it in May 2018. As they say, YMMV.
Not paying attention my light came on and the fuel range was reading 150 miles to go. I wasnā€™t about to tempt faith so into the station I went filled her up but didnā€™t notice how many gallons it took ā˜¹
Sponsored