Sponsored

First look at production 2.0L 4-Cylinder Turbo Hurricane engine

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD
What’s your point Billy?

It’s pretty specific in the intial comment, yet many diesel advocates seem to want to AlternateFact what cold is, despite being specific even underlining Extreme and putting COLD in caps to be clear.
Perhaps so people understood it’s EXTREME COLD that your Alaskan brothers understand before people waste time replying about -10 when plugged in in a parking lot or driving from covered parkade to parkade.

It’s a drawback, just like they ALL have drawbacks of some kind, and the only limitation of diesel is not just funds as comonly misstated again above, because I’m not the one complaining about price, a lot of the people wanting diesel complain about it, but if you offered me a HEMI (which should be cheaper than the ED) for the price premium of the ED, it would be ordered as soon as NACHO and SelecTrac opened up. $55K+ fine, no problem. So it’s not just about the money, there are other drawbacks, cold being just my particular need, because otherwise a diesel would be GREAT if I lived in the south.
Yes, if it's -40 then you need to plug in and have a diesel additive in your fuel. The gas stations in CO put the additive in the diesel for you. I've driven in that type of weather plenty, and the biggest issue is the windshield wipers freezing up. The vast majority of people buying wranglers will face no such issues.

A lot of people aren't familiar with modern diesel technology, and they think of a 1980 volkswagen with no power and lots of smelly smoke. The modern diesels are as much better than that as the modern Hemi is compared to a 60's era Hemi. Pretty sure all the heavy equipment and trucks in Alaska and Canada are diesel, and they somehow manage to keep them running in the winter. Can't imagine how they do it.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yes, if it's -40 then you need to plug in and have a diesel additive in your fuel. The gas stations in CO put the additive in the diesel for you. I've driven in that type of weather plenty, and the biggest issue is the windshield wipers freezing up. The vast majority of people buying wranglers will face no such issues.

A lot of people aren't familiar with modern diesel technology, and they think of a 1980 volkswagen with no power and lots of smelly smoke. The modern diesels are as much better than that as the modern Hemi is compared to a 60's era Hemi. Pretty sure all the heavy equipment and trucks in Alaska and Canada are diesel, and they somehow manage to keep them running in the winter. Can't imagine how they do it.
If you could edit the reply to Billy, that would help the clean-up we did ourselves to get back on track.

I’m specific about my need, and know that the ED isn’t a 1970s Benz like a neighbour’s as a kid.

However, there are still some limited drawbacks (other than the Emissions stuff), even with anti-clouding/gel agents, unfortunately it remains a drawback for the few of us that off-road in winter, where even arctic diesel is good to about -41 and just a few degrees more with additives. This is definitely a specific use, but is my reason for not going diesel, despite all the other benefits, especially at altitude.

And when it gets really cold they leave those heavy diesels running with fuel heaters built in, neither of which is a good option for the Wrangler.

I’m pro diesel for most people and have always advocated it as a great/perfect fit for the Wrangler even though it was never going in my garage. However, let’s be honest about this, and not pretend any engine option is faultless (except the HEMI which would heal sick children as it passed), nor that any engine is a truly terrible choice (coulda had smaller displacement NA engines or tiny diesels [though I still think the export diesel will be OK, even though the Eur-Asians will be envious of N.Am. due to diesel instead of historically the other way around]).

I’m happy everyone gets a pretty good choice, but let’s be honest about them.

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD
They never turn them off.
Anyway, we got a bit off topic. Sorry to both of you.

What I was trying to say here is that people shouldn't just buy the V6 out of habit because that's been the best option up until now. People pre-ordering the v-6 could be making a mistake.

My preference is going to be the diesel, but it sounds like I might have to buy one of the gas engines if I want the 2-door.

Sponsored

JLUfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon
Won’t the FCA bastards please think of the people who want a manual transmission in something other than the Pentastar? :)

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I'm having trouble accepting the Hurricane psychologically because it's only 2.0 L and only has 4 cylinders.

I mean, it's bad enough having to accept a 3.6 L and only 6 cylinders.

Something deep inside of me says that a car isn't a car unless it has a 5.0L V8 (and then you can add your electric motors, turbos and superchargers to that).

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD
Won’t the FCA bastards please think of the people who want a manual transmission in something other than the Pentastar? :)
And you know they will be selling them in europe with the manual. Though I prefer the automatic, because the manual is exhausting off road.

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD
I'm having trouble accepting the Hurricane psychologically because it's only 2.0 L and only has 4 cylinders.

I mean, it's bad enough having to accept a 3.6 L and only 6 cylinders.

Something deep inside of me says that a car isn't a car unless it has a 5.0L V8 (and then you can add your electric motors, turbos and superchargers to that).
You're going to really love it in 10 years when everything is electric and self driving. :P

Sponsored

ValTicinO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Volvo 245
Any news/info about the 2.2 liter turbo diesel for export in Europe?
See here below, the BUX 2.2L
upload_2017-11-8_19-22-52.jpeg

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And you know they will be selling them in europe with the manual. Though I prefer the automatic, because the manual is exhausting off road.
Still hard to tell, depends a lot on what that manual transmission is an its torque rating.
The 2T should be nearby enough to work, but the tuning issue itself works against that plan.
As a 6MT JK owner, hopefully the plan isn’t to tie it to the Pentastar and then let it dissapear when the Pentastar is replaced in the future.

That there was even the possibility that the JL might not have one kinda puts a bit of writing on the wall, and if the sales of the MT are low due to people chosing the other engines, then that may accelerate its demise. I hope not, because I plan on replacing the JK long after the JKU in more likely 3-4 years time so hoping the options are still as varied then, and not limited.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any news/info about the 2.2 liter turbo diesel for export in Europe?
Nothing yet on the status or soecific Wrangler info, but should be the same engine as that found in the Cherokee, baring any new regulatory hassles with all the recent diesel-focus and changes.

Even the EcoDiesel will be a new and still unknown quantity.

Likely all info for all markets will arrive at the end of the month, and FCA will answer direct questions about it from the Euro auto mags, etc.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Both the torque curve and the amount of lag is still unknown, .
Based on the size of that turbo I highly doubt lag is going to be an issue. Its a small turbo in the world of turbo sizes and FCA can get a tune on it similar to BMW 335i it will make peak TQ very low.

No, you live in Cold, not Extreme cold.
I don’t own them for that reason, but work with people who do who often need a lift on extemely cold days, and especially on race days when the temps have hit -40 and below and you see all the diesel pickups littering the parking lot with their frozen/damaged fuel filters.
Most people in the world do not live in areas with -40+ temps, so these issues your talking about will not affect the majority of buyers. Even here in Idaho, -40 is not very common, and even for my father who lives in Whitefish Montana (which is basically on the Canadian border), drives a F350 Diesel and has never ran into these issues. Not saying its not possible, but the chances of it happening for the majority of buyer is very very very slim.

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian