Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
I wonder what gas engines will go in these and if the layout will be N-S, not really interested in a BEV, dont want the hastle and replacement battery costs are way too high.
That's exactly what they're counting on. They will make this a planned obsolescence, just like they did with laptops and phones and those are expensive for what they are too. Too many people now adays would rather toss their phone/laptop because the battery is getting under a level they'd like and they just want to get a new one. Meanwhile you turn the phone in and the company pays like $10 to put a new 1 in and resells for like 50% orig price. Buy a new car or a horrendously priced battery, either way, they're getting big bucks.
Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I need to invest in Lithium; https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-05-25/lithium-the-hunt-for-the-wonder-metal-fueling-evs
California needs all of it's citizens to have EV'S by 2030, well I don't know how they will charge all those batteries? More BLACKOUTS?
https://www.bloomenergy.com/bloom-energy-outage-map/

There will be more blackouts for sure. Always fits and starts when there is a major transition in technology.

Take a look at the vehicular death rate in America in the first few decades of the automobile:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mot..._VMT,_per_capita,_and_total_annual_deaths.png

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Lots of back and forth on this thread regarding the power grid and how the current public utility infrastructure is not keeping up with the electrification of the consumer vehicle market.

There is a small segment of BEV SUV customers that defies the stereotypes of latte-sipping coastal elites who never go off-road. For the self-reliance and ‘prepper’ folks out there, a back-road/off-road capable SUV with reasonable range could be quite desirable for those who want to be off-grid or even just less-grid-dependent. Residential home battery banks are becoming more available now and can be fed by solar and fossil-fueled generators.
Being entirely self-sufficient, off-grid if you can is awesome. Its just funny to think of the visual of someone using a gas generator to power their EV, kinda defeats the whole "it's good for the environment" tagline the media is pushing on us, which most of us know is complete BS anyway...

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We are 30-40 out before everyone is driving electric. But I like this direction
I'm aware the world has a finite amount of extractable fossil fuels, but do people think the earth has enough rare earth minerals, lithium mainly, to build millions of these huge batteries far into the future? It's just not sustainable without a new form of battery tech and power generation. We've had the solution to clean power for 70 years, the new gen 4 or 5 reactors are small, efficient, and with safeguard on top of safeguard, as safe as anything, but here we are phasing them out and being pushed to a tech which is neither more environmentally safe or sustainable as our current fossil fuels! I surely don't have all the answers but that isn't it...

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
I took my post down on this as it might have been seen as political - my apologies if it was :sun:
I do hope they work harder on the plug in hybrids like the 4xe as that will most certainly be the real future even if a smaller back up gasoline engine ends up being the solution
If a full EV is your personal solution then more power to you as well but you probably won't be seeing that in a real Jeep for 40 years (I said real Jeep, not a rebranded Renegade) :)

Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took my post down on this as it might have been seen as political - my apologies if it was :sun:
I do hope they work harder on the plug in hybrids like the 4xe as that will most certainly be the real future even if a smaller back up gasoline engine ends up being the solution
If a full EV is your personal solution then more power to you as well but you probably won't be seeing that in a real Jeep for 40 years (I said real Jeep, not a rebranded Renegade) :)
This, I can get behind better hybrid tech

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
This, I can get behind better hybrid tech
Exactly, the BMW i3 with the range extender seemed like a good solution, not sure whey we didn't pursue that further. A small gas tank and a really small ICE motor that spun at 1 efficient speed and it's sole job was to provide some extra juice to the battery. I think this would be a great way to help people with range anxiety, especially Jeep off road.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Being entirely self-sufficient, off-grid if you can is awesome. Its just funny to think of the visual of someone using a gas generator to power their EV, kinda defeats the whole "it's good for the environment" tagline the media is pushing on us, which most of us know is complete BS anyway...
Life will always be full of paradoxes and ironies. Diesel-generator being used to recharge an electric vehicle would be one of them.

Slowing the rate of increase of the earth’s average temperature and reducing the prominence of the Middle East in our politics, economics and military strategies are both good reasons to reduce fossil fuel usage.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Life will always be full of paradoxes and ironies. Diesel-generator being used to recharge an electric vehicle would be one of them.

Slowing the rate of increase of the earth’s average temperature and reducing the prominence of the Middle East in our politics, economics and military strategies are both good reasons to reduce fossil fuel usage.
Agree, but when for the foreseeable future our electrical grid is going to continue to be fed by fossil fuels, EV's are not saving anything, and if you look into the environmental impact of mining and production for all these EV's, not to forget the end of life issues with millions of tons of used battery cells, they are worse than ICE, at least how I see it anyway, which is worth about 3 cents by my calculation...

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Even if you don’t plan to purchase an EV anytime soon, the adoption of EVs will help hold the price of gasoline lower. More EVs = less gasoline demand = more supply/lower gas prices. The Recon is an interesting concept but I doubt it will have more than a 100kw battery which realistically won’t go more than 180 miles on the highway….and FAR less when off-roading. That said, as battery technology evolves the Recon could eventually become a good Bronco alternative…

Sponsored

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Its not "complete" bs. Sure the mining takes a toll but most of the energy produced by ICEs is given off as heat. A quarter or less of the potential energy makes it to the wheels. Where as 60-80% of the energy from an ev battery makes it to the wheels. Add in the ability to regen energy braking and the efficiency goes up even more. Producing electricity via fossil fuels is actually more efficient too than an ice. 30-40% of the potential energy of natural gas and coal gets created as electricity. So using evs would actually cut our total energy use. Reading this is depressing, but not enough for me to give up driving my wife's camaro anytime soon btw. https://www.motortrend.com/news/evs-more-efficient-than-internal-combustion-engines/

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I can't tell if the folks saying "oh the Recon will be a great commuter car!" are passive aggressively trolling because it's an EV or if they legit don't understand the level of capability that is possible with multiple motors (especially 4). We'll have no idea until Jeep gives more details on the Recon.

I'm wondering if Jeep will go dual motor on the Recon so that 4 is reserved only for a future EV Wrangler. Or if they'll go all in with 4 in the Recon first so people have a chance to see what that can do and feel comfortable with it long before they bring it to the Wrangler someday. That will be the difference between the Recon being capable off road or being a beast. Hopefully we find out soon! Haha
1 motor > 4 motors.

Imagine your in a situation that only one tire has traction, something that likely happens quite often when doing rock crawling.

Lets pretend you have a 800hp gas engine jeep vs a 800hp quad motor EV jeep, 200hp per tire. Well the gas vehicle can send 800hp to one single tire (well more like 650hp with drivetrain losses) if only one tire has traction. The quad motor can only send 200hp to one tire.

Now when you account for the fact that a single powerplant will likely have a trans and transfer case, what really matters is the torque that can be sent to an individual tire. When you add up the trans, transfer case, and diffs, A rubicon in low range is 77.34:1 torque multiplication. So your 800ft lbs of torque is now 61,872 ft lbs sent to the rear axle (incase you were wondering why you have to beef up axles, that’s it lol). Realistically more like 30-40k ft lbs when you add up the insane drivetrain losses of 77.41:1 torque multiplication. But thats still 30-40k ft lbs of torque that your 800hp jeep can send to one single tire should the situation call for it. Meanwhile your quad motor EV, is limited to the torque of that one motor.

Even if we are talking about theoretical limitations of drivetrain systems in the distant future, one motor trumps quad motor for everything.
Single motor = each tire can receive 0-100% of total vehicle power
Quad motor = each tire can receive 0-25%
of total vehicle power (realistically quad motor could send more than 25% to one tire as the hp limitation with EV is usually total current to and from the battery, which means you could just temporarily send more current to that one or two tires, but no way does that get you anywhere close to a single motor)

disclaimer: I love EV’s, but I believe the old school axles and drivetrains will continue to dominate rock crawling for a long time to come.

Jeep is kinda screwed, because that is the exact opposite of what you want for an EV. Even if battery tech explodes and we triple the battery density, what really matters is how it compares to other vehicles. It’s still will cost more to buy and cost more to drive than other vehicles.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even if you don’t plan to purchase an EV anytime soon, the adoption of EVs will help hold the price of gasoline lower. More EVs = less gasoline demand = more supply/lower gas prices. The Recon is an interesting concept but I doubt it will have more than a 100kw battery which realistically won’t go more than 180 miles on the highway….and FAR less when off-roading. That said, as battery technology evolves the Recon could eventually become a good Bronco alternative…
Agreed, also I hope battery tech can somehow become more dense and light. Recent decades have seen a multitude of safety requirements added to new vehicles, already making them heavier. Now add in batteries that can weigh as much as a small car, and F=MA. As someone on here already pointed out, its an extreme example I know, but the new Hummer has a battery pack that weighs as much as a Honda Civic! The whole truck weighs over 9000 LBS and can accelerate faster than a supercar, I pray for the person who is on the wrong end of that accident...

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I wonder what gas engines will go in these and if the layout will be N-S, not really interested in a BEV, dont want the hastle and replacement battery costs are way too high.
It specifically says it's a BEV. Not an ICE.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its not "complete" bs. Sure the mining takes a toll but most of the energy produced by ICEs is heat. A quarter or less of the potential energy makes it to the wheels. Where as 60-80% of the energy from an ev battery makes it to the wheels. Add in the ability to regen energy braking and the efficiency goes up even more. Producing electricity via fossil fuels is actually more efficient too than an ice. 30-40% of the potential energy of natural gas and coal gets created as electricity. https://www.motortrend.com/news/evs-more-efficient-than-internal-combustion-engines/
I agree with some of that, but if you take the entire production and manufacturing process of an EV vs ICE, to end of life, the ICE will have less environmental impact as long as the juice to power the EV is most likely coming from coal down the road. Its like how they use the term "Biomass Generators", sound all nice and friendly, in reality its deforestation and burning trees, which when still standing extract CO2 from the atmosphere for photosynthesis.
Sponsored