69charged

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler unlimited 2.0
Hey all.
We currently have a 22 Sting Grey JLU Sahara for my wife, and I drive a 21 F150 XLT. Due to her work, they pay a portion of her Jeep. Well, as luck would have it, she's worked hard enough that they may pay a portion of a second Jeep. I'm stuck in a predicament of getting rid of my truck to get another Jeep. I know I'm on a Jeep forum, and everyone will say to get another one. So, I have been looking at possibly getting a Sting Grey Gladiator Rubicon with the diesel. I've owned diesel Superduty's since 03, so I'm very familiar with diesels. I'm also a mechanic by trade, so that helps when stuff breaks.
I would like to maybe get out on the trails more if I get this. We also intend to buy a wake boat, around the 4000LBS range. In the future maybe a smaller camper.
My plans for the Gladiator would include 35's, maybe 37's. And the appropriate lift to go with that. Hence the reason I wanted the diesel. That is until I looked at the price increase for the option. I would drive it to work daily, which is about 60kms one way, so the engine will get plenty warm to facilitate regens and stuff.
What are your thoughts on pulling that weight, with a lift and tires? I see they get pretty decent mileage with the diesel. I would also strongly consider a re-gear as well. Just trying to convince myself to get rid of my brand new truck! I don't really load my truck to the nines either. And I don't load gravel in it or dirt. Was thinking of getting a heavy duty utility trailer for real nasty hauling.
Financially its the right thing to do.
If I'm not going to be doing extreme off road stuff, is it better to get a lower trim? I have been reading up on everything I can find, and it seems axles are the main topic when people are talking about 37's.
Sorry for the long winded post, just looking for opinions and suggestions.
Thanks all for taking the time to read!
Clarence
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I have a friend with a diesel Gladiator Rubicon. It's nice, like real nice. It pulls great and tackles all the trails.

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
Hey all.
We currently have a 22 Sting Grey JLU Sahara for my wife, and I drive a 21 F150 XLT. Due to her work, they pay a portion of her Jeep. Well, as luck would have it, she's worked hard enough that they may pay a portion of a second Jeep.
Does she have any single lady coworkers with the same compensation?

Asking for a friend.

Kidding.

Please share my profile/ PM their specs though.

OP
OP

69charged

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what about the V6 engine and 35"s or 37"s with a re-gear? Probably not a real comparison to the diesel and those tires eh? 9,000 extra for that diesel!!!

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a 2D Rubicon with 3.6L and 4.88 gearing from the factory. Not available in the JT?

Sponsored

OP
OP

69charged

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the build and price, it only allows 4:10's with the V6 and auto. I cant change it. I thought I read somewhere that it can be anywhere between 3:73- 4:88 from factory?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
They won't contribute to another FCA product? Ram?

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
4.88 is only available with manual. 4.56 is available with Extreme Recon.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I know (I posted that previously), but he was looking at the build and price and couldn't find those options. They are only available on the manual and extreme recon (he's posting on the JL forum, not the JT forum); neither available on the JT.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
The Gladiator is a good vehicle. However, it is not always a good replacement for a Ford truck. Make sure there is enough space in the back to carry the things that you usually carry in your F150. What do you normally buy from Home Depot and carry home? What will happen when your brother needs help to move his furniture?

You have mentioned trails and off roading. Buy a Rubicon if this is how you plan to use the Jeep. The other trims can be used for off roading. However, the Rubicon comes better equipped from the factory.

The Gladiator is a longer vehicle than a Wrangler so you may not be able to do all the things your friends do on the trail. Off roading is addictive. Many people start out with light trails and then want to do the more difficult ones. I have seen this too many times.

Regearing is a personal issue. The diesel has lots of power. Drive it for a while before making a decision.

OP
OP

69charged

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. I do make plenty of building material runs. But I could also buy a trailer. Case in point: I just ordered 4000 worth of composite decking. But lots of it is 20ft long. So I will need a trailer for it anyway. I think the most I carry is my quad, and hockey gear, fishing stuff, luggage if we all go somewhere. That sort of thing. We used to have a 32ft camper, hence why I had diesels all these years. We sold it to see if we liked going without. My wife and daughter have mentioned buying a smaller one. That’s why I brought it up.
I have noticed it has been mentioned on the forum lots about off-roading lightly, only to get hooked and do it more. That’s how I landed on a possible rubicon. So I don’t have to make as radical changes down the line. Also a good point about the gearing. I didn’t spend enough time on the build and price to realize that. We bought our Sahara off the lot as someone else’s order not picked up. So I didn’t go through all this previously. I did on my F150 though.
As to gator, no. It has to be a jeep. Their reasoning is that they like how jeeps hold their resale value better. It has to be a jeep within a 4 year model range. So I could get a 2018 jeep something, and it still qualifies. A 2017 wouldn’t. I’ve been looking at used 21 gladiators as well. I found a couple but still 60-64000 with anywhere from 12-25000 kms!
crazy used prices!
Clarence

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Gladiator is a decent truck-Son (retired Marine) loves his. Just moved their entire household goods with the gladiator and a trailer. Biggest U haul box he could find. Stuffed it and made a few trips. Said it worked great. His Home Depot runs are always made using a trailer. He’s a fanatic on keeping a vehicle clean. When he trades it in 6 or 7 years downrange the bed (and the whole truck) will look almost new. He’s got a Sport S Stinggray V6 with limited slip and Rubi KO2’s. Serves as daily driver, beach runner, and trail runner in the Smokies. His daily drive is a 15 minute commute or he’d have bought a diesel.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
My previous DD was a 2014 luxo sierra with a 6.2L. It’s still in my driveway. New vehicle is a 4xe rubicon.

Stay away from the wrangler or gladiator unless you.

-off road
-take the top off
-take the doors off

The solid axle jeeps suck at everything compared to the trucks, but it’s all worth it for those 3 things. Don’t buy it because it looks cool.

OP
OP

69charged

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have a JLU Sahara already. The main reason for switching vehicles is because 3/4 of the Jeep payment would be made for us. So the questions were around if I needed or could use the Rubicon model, and was looking for opinions on the diesel vs the V6.
Our JLU is the 2.0T, and its been a great little motor. It actually rips pretty good, and gets up to speed real fast. But that's not available in the Gladiator.
Sponsored